Dakmart and the Denon 3803

Mr. Blorry

Anybody ever dealt with "Dakmart?" They're a sketchy looking company in the Miami area that sells everything under the sun, from toasters to sunglasses to Denon gear. Per the Denon website, they are one of a small handful of authorized Denon etailers that sell their refurbished or reconditioned gear.

I'm dying to upgrade my Denon AVR-1801, and the 3803 seems to be everything I want (for now) even though the newer 3805s are out. Denon authorizes about five shops to sell their refurb gear, but only Dakmart had the 3803 in stock, for about $700. It comes with a manufacturer's 90 day warranty, and Dakmart adds another nine months to that. I placed my order the other day, and got a message saying they won't be in stock for two more weeks, but we do have this shiny Denon AVR-1083 for the same price! True, the specs are identical on thise two amps, the only difference is that Denon changed the badging so that the smaller merchants could compete with the big boys, as the 1083 is sold at Sears, and the 3803 is sold a finer stereo stores, for a considerably greater profit margin!

Now, doesn't that sound like bait and switch? All around the web, you can see that the 1083 sells for about $200 less than the 3803, and yet these guys want to sell the refurbs at the same price. Aside from badging, is there any difference in component quality between the two? I'd heard years back that manufacturers were selling a lower grade of comparable gear to the big retailers like Sears, which also accounted for its diminished price. I wonder if this is a hoax, or an accurate representation on how these companys do business!

I bowed to the pressure last night, (even after offering to buy a 1083 for less money after they told me the 3803 was out of stock, and should be in within the next week), and purchased the 1083 instead for the same price that this company sells the 3803. Much to my chagrin, all of my quibbling allowed the six items to be sold to others, and they ran out of stock! OK, so I have to wait anyway. Dakmart assures me that other models will show up next week. What about resale value? If I decided to sell the 3803, wouldn't I command a better price than if I tried to sell a 1083 since the 1083 was far less expensive to begin with!

Anyone have any ideas or opinions about all this stuff?

Thanks! It's making me a bit crazy 15.gif

Yes, I have dealt with Dakmart before with mixed results. My understanding is that they are a catologue/internet outlet belonging to Brandsmart USA, which is also based out of Miami. Brandsmart is a reputable superstore with a strong connection to Denon. I have purchased Denon B stock from Brandsmart and Dakmart before without a hitch.

Yes, the 3803 and the 1083 are identical units. Resale should be similar...that is to say crap, regardless of the original sale price. Denon changes models and features so often that the 3801 that I purchased 3 years ago is now mostly a paperweight here in my den.

Jerry Rappaport1.gif

Thanks Bill! Yes, I have heard of Crutchfield. They are right down the street from me here in Virginia. It is a fine store, and their support is second to none, but their prices reflect that. My problem is that even if I found a good scratched or dented one, I still have to pay sales tax since I live in the same state!! No big deal; I was just informed by these Dak folk that 3803s should be arriving this coming week, so I won't have to fret about getting a 1083, even though it is indeed true that it won't matter which model I buy, since both will be virtually worthless in 3 years. I guess my little 1801 might make a good garage stereo!