Are Cornwalls going up in price?

Piranha

Pirhana, there are three forum members who are bidding on these, plus a couple I don't know. Someone bid a hidden max of $900(the normal high end for CWs,) plus a $100 for not having to get them shipped. Another bidder then drove through the autorachet bid, and has now found himself out of money with days left on the auction. For whatever reasons, this one will end up in the $1300 - $1400 range if expected bid patterns occur. Ouch.

This seller just has the right look, is local to some people who want Cornwalls, and has bidders who aren't shy 'bout chasing what they want. I love the oiled oak and cane mellotone look!

I was thinking about bidding on those myself, they're very nice, being oak and cane or beige grille, and frankly I'd go $1500 for them, no problem. And they're very close.

But they just won't work in my apartment without major rearrangement. And then if I did rearrange to go to big speakers I could get my Altec 605s back from the fella I loaned them to. And Cornwalls won't sound much better than my Heresys do anyway.

But man, those are nice, really nice; Cornwalls don't come any nicer.

Anybody wanna sell some oak Heresys? Did they make oak Heresys?

----------------

On 4/29/2004 5:12:16 PM TBrennan wrote:

I was thinking about bidding on those myself, they're very nice, being oak and cane or beige grille, and frankly I'd go $1500 for them, no problem. And they're very close.

But they just won't work in my apartment without major rearrangement. And then if I did rearrange to go to big speakers I could get my Altec 605s back from the fella I loaned them to. And Cornwalls won't sound much better than my Heresys do anyway.

Oak Heresy's - There are some 84 HOO on ebay right now !!!!

----------------

On 4/29/2004 5:12:16 PM TBrennan wrote:

----------------

Tom,

Are you saying the Cornwalls won't sound any better than your Heresy's because of your listening area and volume constraints? I am just curious.

My CW's sound much better than my Heresy's do. Like night and day to my ears. The difference between CW's and LS's is a matter of personal taste. I like them both, and I own both. They both do certain types of music well.

Piranha---A Cornwall is basically a Heresy with a 15 instead of a 12. The CW bass goes deeper and will play louder than the bass of a Heresy, other than that there's hardly any mechanical difference.

One admired feature if the old "real" Klipsch lineup is that there was a common family "voice" to them. What really changed as you went up the ladder was the bass; it's depth or ability to play with lowered distortion. But the entire line sounded very much alike.

That's how ole PWK sold so many Heresys; people would walk-in to hear Khorns and leave, perfectly content, with Heresys.

It may be that the bassier tonal balance of the CWs gives you a vast improvement; people are sensitive to different things. It doesn't matter that much to me though.

Or you may have the CWs setup better or in a different part of the room. And you may, and I don't mean this insultingly, be kidding yourself into thinking the CWs are much better. I've done that. An audiophile needs to have as much self-doubt and be as self-examining as a Massachusetts Bay Colony Puritan. :)

I just heard my old CWs at my pal's house the other night, he uses them as mixdown monitors in his home studio.

Amen Piranha, I have both and the Heresys are not even close. I even had a subwover added to the Heesys mix. Of course who am I to judge, my family says I have listened to loud music for so long my hearing is impaired. They just do not understand it is selective hearing.9.gif

I recently paid $950 for a very nice pair of 1976 WO Cornwalls. Saved both the shipping hassle and probably a couple hundred bucks by driving five hours to pick them up. For their condition, I thought I paid a fair amount. My 76s' came with risers. Had Heresys a couple years back, never played sid-by-side with the Cornwalls, but as memory serves, no comparison in soundstage and that complete, all-encompassing sound I get with Cornwalls. Bass ain't bad either.