People getting rid of RS-7s

damonrpayne

Hey, suit yourself as far as being secretive goes! Fair warning!

Rather than paying the price for the local 400's and then finding/buying the matching speakers goes, I would have bought the new Reference speakers myself. What receiver/processer are you using?

Maybe we can get together sometime and compare notes. No promises. I work a lot of days/hours. I've been trying to find time to get dbflash over for a year or so. I've got the Synergy Premiere stuff and some Chorus II's that I use with a Scott integrated, the ones you read so much about here. Sounds decent for old used gear. 2.gif

Keith

Hmmm, and then people ask me why I write on the same old monopole honesty vs. dipole deception issue???

How is it the "smart engineers" at Klipsch have failed to add a bipole, dipole, or tripole to rescue us from the error of Paul W. Klipsch designed speaker systems? Where is the WDST Klipschorn to fill out my 6.1 Klipschorn Home Theater now that I need it?

Can you believe it? Over fifty years and all the brilliant engineers that ever worked for Klipsch couldn't understand that all you really need was back-to-back false corners with the midline facing the sweet spot. Sure, instead of the six Klipschorns I could have three Klipschorns in the front and three double Klipschorn "sound-sprayers" in the rear array! Yeah, man, and just to be sure I'm getting the entire "bipolar brain-trust ambience" I deserve... I've got to remember to wire those dual false cornered Klipschorns out-of-phase! 3.gif

But, just hold on to your dog, Tide, Buster Brown... what about the migration from the KSP-6 bifurcated beauties to full-fledged WDST in-phase (+2000Hz/-2000Hz) dichotomy... that is giving way to the latest ultra Klipsch brain trust edition that makes duh-duh-duh-diss-diss-disassociated di-di-diarrhea-dipoles for that down-home off-the-wall "yellow-button" fill-up-my-ears experience. 6.gif

Boy, howdy, I sure am glad those super-intelligent, THX born again engineers at Klipsch made the latest THX offering with full-fledged dipoles so that we can overcome the rampant stupidity of audio engineers who actually build in full-range ambience with full-range directionality in the rear array. 2.gif

Hot damn, neighbor (err, nay-boor?), how ya gonna keep a boy down on the farm after they've heard the precision of the D-Day landing (Saving Private Ryan) "improved" by running it through a dipole blender... like what do those pro audio engineer dummies know about creating surround sound anyhow? 7.gif

Then again, putting a croaking bullfrog in a blender so it can go sixty does have a scientifically intelligent potential... but even a frog would be smart enough to avoid the folly of croaked frog ambience!

I mean, cousin, if they had the "scents" God gave a clodhopper's hip boots, they'd a know'd there's nothin' like a manure spreader to even out the corn effects in the back forty... so why not blow the sound past my ears and let me hear the joy of reflected dissonance. 14.gif

Ah mean jes' look at how the whole herd improved once we got the bull all bottled up and let the smart guy with the long rubber gloves get up close and personal with the cows. Yep, sure 'nuff, I could have my "whole heard" in the rear array "sound pastures" WDST composted so I wouldn't fall prey to rear array "separation anxiety" caused by premature monopole withdrawal that follows failure to set up a 5.1 (or better) rig properly. 11.gif

Oops, check (discrete) signals, it ain't the gray-matter of the Klipsch engineers that matters in my listening space... it's MY EARS! Just like in your listening space it's YOUR EARS that matter! If your opinion is that every sound out of your rear array should be folded, spindled and mutilated by homogenized THX home standards then so be it! But if youve got the intestinal fortitude to reach beyond the trick-and-treat Bose and THX intelligence to enjoy sound the way that nature and modern sound mixing engineers intended get the full-impact of engineer induced ambience with full-range directionality that only monopoles can offer.

In their wisdom, the good folks at Klipsch have included WDST for the herd mentality and plenty of honest-to-goodness Klipsch monopoles to fill in the rear array gaps as so many who have tried WDST and moved on to greener Klipsch pastures. 12.gif HornEd

PS: Its nice to see that the intelligent engineers at Klipsch have made their latest efforts along the lines of dumb old HornEd with three identical speakers across the front array. Yep, Im so dumb I just might buy two front arrays and set them up as a properly set up 6.1 system with a honkin full-bass-range subwoofer array that cranks out 121 dBs in the fractional seconds that count most for realism.

Wholly monopoles Batman! There is a way to get around the K-marketing Jokers bipolar disorder

Meanwhile, in the mountain retreat far from Gotham City, HornEd prepares to wed his Swiss Miss amid a garden plethora of monopoles fed by thousands of pro-amp watts... so that each exquisite wedding march detail of the woodwind quintet is not dependent upon bouncing off the next mountain to achieve surreal ambience. Yes sir (miss or madam), I think ole HornEd will take his wedded bliss as nature intended...

hey HornEd-

i thought i asked you to 'behave'2.gif

that seemed a little 'strong' w/your out-of-character country dialect,maybe i'm reading something into your post that isn't there,if so,i apologize.

as far as heritage surrounds, what about your 'hero'Q-man, and his rear surround 'stack'.

is it a case of someone else who hasn't 'seen the light'?, or is it yet someone else who PREFERRS 'submersion' in surround?

avman.

----------------

On 4/30/2004 12:04:21 AM damonrpayne wrote:

If you feel the way I do and want a Reference 7 setup, you have several choices for surrounds. I think a few good ones are:

-More RF-7s if you have space

-RC-7s (I think m00n is going this route)

-RB-75s. If I was sticking with reference series, I think RB-75s would make fantastic side and rear surrounds.

All of this is just my opinion. I am curious what others think.

----------------

I'll also add, which I have in my own setup, RF-5s. Yes, if I had the space (and I had the oppurtunity to score a pair pretty cheap), I'd put more RF-7s. Since the local dealer no longer carries Klipsch, I scored a pair of RF-5s on clearance, and they work fantastic as surrounds!. They had the same horn as the RF-7s, althou the woofers is only 8 inches, which is the same as the two RC-7s I have (one front and one back.)

Ah yes, another "wide vs monopole" debate with a couple of folks and thier "my way is the only right way" of doing things.

Well, there are those of us that don't have the ability and resource to build any "perfect" room to accomadate an all monopole design, and there are those of us that simply don't have the budget and room to get that kind of setup.

In my personal experiece, I'd found I'd rather have the RS-7s for watching TV and most movies, and the RF-5s for listening to music. I don't intend to change anything anytime soon as I am quite happy with what I have, plus I need to spend my money elsewhere for a while (a few home improvements I'd like to make). Thus, I am pretty much stuck with what I got for the next several years.

I like a dispursed sound field. the very thing that people LOVE about monopole design is what I actually don't like about them. That "directness"--I don't want to be able to "pinpoint" anything...I don't want to know that the sound I just heard behind me was specifically from my right speaker...

BUT!!!! there are people that do. For those I say--cool. and for those others that like the whole THX thing I say--cool. and despite my system my old roomate use to listen to movies and such out of ONE front speaker only--and to him I say..weird, but...cool.

its opinion. its your money. like what you want.

HornEd -- that rant was finer than frog hair. Yeehaw!

Keith -- I broke down and couldn't wait to travel for some speakers so I bought local. I got the RF7s and a RC7. They didn't have the ones I wanted in stock so I broght home the floor models until they do. They are beat to hell and back (not quite as bad as that other posting I saw recently) but sound great. Still waiting to replace those. Good thing I brought them home and hooked them up as I found out that my Harman Kardon AVR8000 has a nasty noise coming from the left rear channel. Thats gotta go back to the factory and I am getting a replacement. I bought the RS7s from m00n which should be the first 'working' peace of equipment I have when those come in -- I'm certain they will be first rate when I get 'em on the walls. I'll take you up on the note-comparison but it sounds like you work about as much as me with crappy hours to boot. Living in Calera and working in Trusville is not condusive to home theater enjoyment. Lets get together and enjoy a co-cola or an adult beverage what ever the case may be. It was the Chorus line of speakers that hooked me on the Klipsch YEARS ago -- I never could afford them, though. My best friend got his in 88-89? and ran 'em off a Carver amp... oooh the memories.

----------------

On 5/1/2004 5:41:40 AM HornEd wrote:

Hmmm, and then people ask me why I write on the same old monopole honesty vs. dipole deception issue???

How is it the "smart engineers" at Klipsch have failed to add a bipole, dipole, or tripole to rescue us from the error of Paul W. Klipsch designed speaker systems? Where is the WDST Klipschorn to fill out my 6.1 Klipschorn Home Theater now that I need it?

Can you believe it? Over fifty years and all the brilliant engineers that ever worked for Klipsch couldn't understand that all you really need was back-to-back false corners with the midline facing the sweet spot. Sure, instead of the six Klipschorns I could have three Klipschorns in the front and three double Klipschorn "sound-sprayers" in the rear array! Yeah, man, and just to be sure I'm getting the entire "bipolar brain-trust ambience" I deserve... I've got to remember to wire those dual false cornered Klipschorns out-of-phase!
3.gif

But, just hold on to your dog, Tide, Buster Brown... what about the migration from the KSP-6 bifurcated beauties to full-fledged WDST in-phase (+2000Hz/-2000Hz) dichotomy... that is giving way to the latest ultra Klipsch brain trust edition that makes duh-duh-duh-diss-diss-disassociated di-di-diarrhea-dipoles for that down-home off-the-wall "yellow-button" fill-up-my-ears experience.
6.gif

Boy, howdy, I sure am glad those super-intelligent, THX born again engineers at Klipsch made the latest THX offering with full-fledged dipoles so that we can overcome the rampant stupidity of audio engineers who actually build in full-range ambience with full-range directionality in the rear array.
2.gif

Hot damn, neighbor (err, nay-boor?), how ya gonna keep a boy down on the farm after they've heard the precision of the D-Day landing (Saving Private Ryan) "improved" by running it through a dipole blender... like what do those pro audio engineer dummies know about creating surround sound anyhow?
7.gif

Then again, putting a croaking bullfrog in a blender so it can go sixty does have a scientifically intelligent potential... but even a frog would be smart enough to avoid the folly of croaked frog ambience!

I mean, cousin, if they had the "scents" God gave a clodhopper's hip boots, they'd a know'd there's nothin' like a manure spreader to even out the corn effects in the back forty... so why not blow the sound past my ears and let me hear the joy of reflected dissonance.
14.gif

Ah mean jes' look at how the whole herd improved once we got the bull all bottled up and let the smart guy with the long rubber gloves get up close and personal with the cows. Yep, sure 'nuff, I could have my "whole heard" in the rear array "sound pastures" WDST composted so I wouldn't fall prey to rear array "separation anxiety" caused by premature monopole withdrawal that follows failure to set up a 5.1 (or better) rig properly.
11.gif

Oops, check (discrete) signals, it ain't the gray-matter of the Klipsch engineers that matters in my listening space... it's MY EARS! Just like in your listening space it's YOUR EARS that matter! If your “opinion” is that every sound out of your rear array should be folded, spindled and mutilated by homogenized THX home standards then so be it! But if you’ve got the intestinal fortitude to reach beyond the trick-and-treat Bose and THX intelligence to enjoy sound the way that nature and modern sound mixing engineers intended… get the full-impact of engineer induced ambience with full-range directionality that only monopoles can offer.

In their wisdom, the good folks at Klipsch have included WDST for the herd mentality… and plenty of honest-to-goodness Klipsch monopoles to fill in the rear array gaps… as so many who have tried WDST and moved on to greener Klipsch pastures.
12.gif
–HornEd

PS: It’s nice to see that the “intelligent engineers” at Klipsch have made their latest efforts along the lines of “dumb old HornEd”… with three identical speakers across the front array. Yep, I’m so dumb I just might buy two front arrays and set them up as a properly set up 6.1 system… with a honkin’ full-bass-range subwoofer array that cranks out 121 dB’s in the fractional seconds that count most for realism.

Wholly monopoles Batman! There is a way to get around the K-marketing Joker’s bipolar disorder…

Meanwhile, in the mountain retreat far from Gotham City, HornEd prepares to wed his Swiss Miss amid a garden plethora of monopoles fed by thousands of pro-amp watts... so that each exquisite wedding march detail of the woodwind quintet is not dependent upon bouncing off the next mountain to achieve surreal ambience. Yes sir (miss or madam), I think ole HornEd will take his wedded bliss as nature intended...

----------------

You're personal attacks do not bother me a bit ED. In fact, I would be concerned if a person of your moral caliber held high regard for me.

Of one thing I'm certain, either you're not very wise or you think others here are idiots.

One more thing. If loudspeakers play such a vital role in your life, you have my sympathy.

Keith

>EDit< free since 2003

----------------

On 5/1/2004 5:01:59 PM nuclearay wrote:

HornEd -- that rant was finer than frog hair. Yeehaw!

Keith -- I broke down and couldn't wait to travel for some speakers so I bought local. I got the RF7s and a RC7. They didn't have the ones I wanted in stock so I broght home the floor models until they do. They are beat to hell and back (not quite as bad as that other posting I saw recently) but sound great. Still waiting to replace those. Good thing I brought them home and hooked them up as I found out that my Harman Kardon AVR8000 has a nasty noise coming from the left rear channel. Thats gotta go back to the factory and I am getting a replacement. I bought the RS7s from m00n which should be the first 'working' peace of equipment I have when those come in -- I'm certain they will be first rate when I get 'em on the walls. I'll take you up on the note-comparison but it sounds like you work about as much as me with crappy hours to boot. Living in Calera and working in Trusville is not condusive to home theater enjoyment. Lets get together and enjoy a co-cola or an adult beverage what ever the case may be. It was the Chorus line of speakers that hooked me on the Klipsch YEARS ago -- I never could afford them, though. My best friend got his in 88-89? and ran 'em off a Carver amp... oooh the memories.

----------------

Hey Ray. Had to work out of town for a couple of days.

Sounds like you work near my neighborhood. I live in an exclusive gated community that is guarded and video equipped. We try to keep undesireables and people teetering on the edge of sanity out. ^

I'll get back to you when I have a few days off and get the new/old speakers set up.

Keith

>Sounds like you work near my neighborhood. I live in an exclusive gated >community that is guarded and video equipped. We try to keep undesireables >and people teetering on the edge of sanity out. ^

When the doctors let me go from the 'hospital' they said I would be fine if I took my medication every day...

I didn't get a chance to read all the posts... in a rush (sorry for that)

I understand the whole compairing directional vs wide surround field.... HOWEVER, I don't feel its fair to compare a RB-75 to a RS-7, afterall, the price difference is about triple for a pair.

Again, I understand that directional may sound better than the wide surround field, infact I have wondered if buying my RS-7's was a mistake, and what speakers I am going to buy when I upgrade to 7.1 or 6.1.... whenever I decide to do that.

Damon

You have heard my Heritage Monopole HT. When I had the horns at ear level it sounded good, but when I flew my Heresys over head and angled them to the sweet spot, the HT gods looked down and smiled1.gif

Music sounds awesome and I have great 3D surround efects.

Let me know if you want to come over and compare notes and do some tests.

JM

This is the umpteenmillionth time I've read this SAME EXACT debate on a multitude of threads and, errrrhhhh why do I bother reading the same ole stuff over and over again.

Well, I guess it's because I never bothered to speak my mind, and I'm not one to keep my mouth shut....

I bought my RS-7s because of this little bit of marketing material from Klipsch...

"The RS-7 surround speaker features Klipsch's exclusive Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST). WDST enhances rear channel performance because it gives the surrounds the capability to produce the diffuse effects needed for envelopment as well as the direct sounds necessary for good localization. The optimal 180 sound pattern of the surrounds makes the new Reference Series surrounds less sensitive to room placement, allowing greater flexibility in a home theater setup."

And I Say.

Damn Right! Bloody Well Right!

I was faced with a speaker placement situation that cried "GET A NEW HOUSE"! I had absolutely no options for side speakers. The RS-7s at the rear of the room used as primary surrounds in funny locations (again no options) conquered the room beasties in a way that no monopole could have.

Hey,

It's all good.

Actually, there is no debate. Just people voicing their preferences and opinions. Oh yeah, then there's the same old codger issueing insults and personal attacks just because he doesn't realize that PWK did not use surrounds when he listened to his mono Klipschorn over 50 years ago.

Keith