Favorite Jazz Tune

garymd

The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson is the disk. One of the greatest cuts ever is Stolen Moments. If you have never heard this please get it. Great players too;

Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Bil Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, Eric Dolphy on alto saxophone and flute, Roy Haynes on drums and additional saxophone work by George Barrow on barritone and Oliver Neslson on alto and tenor saxophone.

There is so much great jazz out there is is hard to pick, but this is a super cut.

regards

Bob

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/2/2004 4:44:55 PM bobsherman wrote:

The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson is the disk. One of the greatest cuts ever is Stolen Moments. If you have never heard this please get it. Great players too;

Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Bil Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, Eric Dolphy on alto saxophone and flute, Roy Haynes on drums and additional saxophone work by George Barrow on barritone and Oliver Neslson on alto and tenor saxophone.

There is so much great jazz out there is is hard to pick, but this is a super cut.

regards

Bob

----------------

Are you THE Bobby Sherman?6.gif

Hello Fellow Posters:

In my recorded interviews are a grand total of 128 that I made of the great jazz artists of the world over a 36 year span.

Several of the great interviews were with Miss Ella Fitzgerald...Count Basie...Stan Kenton...Duke Ellington...Jimmy Smith...Stan Getz...Charlie Byrd...Buddy Rich...Erroll Garner...Bobby Hackett...Urbie Green...Buddy Morrow...Wes Montgomery...George Shearing...Frank Sinatra via a phone interview...Arthur Prysock...

Baden Powell...Harry James...and many other greats.

The artists listed in above posts are all great charts. I even was invited to a recording session that Mr. Basie allowed me while with Armed Forces Radio. That is one gig I will never forget. Man, did those cats ever play for that session. LOL!

Best,

Craig

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention.

On 5/2/2004 4:44:55 PM bobsherman wrote:

"Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Bil Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, Eric Dolphy on alto saxophone and flute, Roy Haynes on drums and additional saxophone work by George Barrow on barritone and Oliver Neslson on alto and tenor saxophone."

---------------------------------------------------------

Name dropper! I guess I'll have to get that one.

9.gif

Impossible to answer. I'm guessing you mean a tune that was composed by a jazz player as opposed to a "standard," right?

The one tune that I find most INFECTIOUS is Kenny Dorham's "Blue Bossa." Once that one is in your head it's there for life. The growl he starts his solo with on the original version (Joe Henderson, "Page One" on Blue Note) also kills me every time.

Other tunes that stay with me forever inclue Horace Silver's "Senor Blues," Art Pepper's "Patricia," Miles Davis' "Donna Lee." Hell, like I said, this is impossible.

----------------

On 5/2/2004 6:19:03 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Impossible to answer. I'm guessing you mean a tune that was composed by a jazz player as opposed to a "standard," right?

----------------

Actually, I mean anything! Obviously "My Favorite Things" wasn't composed by a jazz player. It's a much easier question for me to answer then you. My guess is that 6 months from now I'll have a different answer. I was just curious and it was a slow night.2.gif Tips I can get out of a thread like this are always helpful. Look how that one "Best Jazz Recordings" thread turned out. I know of more than a couple folks who really were turned into jazz fanatics paritially due to that thread.

On 5/2/2004 7:30:20 PM garymd wrote:

"Tips I can get out of a thread like this are always helpful. Look how the Best Jazz Recordings thread turned out. I know of more than a couple folks who really were turned into jazz fanatics paritially due to that thread."

-------------------------------------------------------

And boomac would be one of them. 69 LPs and 79 CDs later, here I am reading about more great music. When lynnm mentioned "Castilian Drums" I knew I had to hear it again. I found the LP only to find the 2nd disc missing. Found a sealed copy on eBay with a BIN so I grabbed it right away. Then a preview of "The Blues in the Abstract Truth". Yes, very nice and off to my favorite LP source I go. Next, I read Allan's post and learn of even more options. SSh should either be Sainted or shot! What shall we do with you Gary?

9.gif

----------------

On 5/3/2004 3:03:52 AM boomac wrote:

What shall we do with you Gary?

9.gif

----------------

Give it up now before it's too late! Send all your CDs and LPs my way. I'll pay shipping!9.gif

In the past week alone, I bought about 15 BN LPs off ebay. Much poorer in the wallet but richer in other ways as you know. It's only money, right? My collection has doubled in size over the past 2 months. I try not to think about what I've spent. I now have about 100 LPs and 50 CDs.

Now I have to go pay for my latest auctions.14.gif3.gif

9.gif9.gif9.gif Birdland - Weather Report 9.gif9.gif9.gif

This was the single jazz work that started my appreciation for jazz. I'm by no means experienced in this area, but that tune took the prototypical high school classic rocker to a whole new genre of music....an "epiphany" to be sure! I always enjoyed Steely Dan too - but "Birdland" really adjusted my musical perspective.

----------------

On 5/3/2004 9:10:41 AM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 5/3/2004 9:08:39 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Lee Morgan playing ANYTHING.
----------------

You got that right.

----------------

The one Lee Morgan solo that continues to blow my mind EVERY SINGLE TIME I HEAR IT is the one on "The Way You Look Tonight" on Tina Brooks' "Minor Move" (Blue Note)--the tounge work there is astonishing and the solo is SO inventive and SO "Lee Morgan"--do you have this one?. Has there ever been a trumpet player who had fuller command of his instrument?