McIntosh at Circuit City

John Warren

Actually, my first thought was "Cool!!!"

If an outfit like circuit City can make a go of it selling McIntosh, perhaps it won't be long before we see Adcom, Acurus, Musical Fidelity and similar lines in K-Mart or Walmart. Personally, I think anything that gives the general public the opportunity to find out that there IS such a thing as high fidelity audio is a good thing.

"If an outfit like circuit City can make a go of it selling McIntosh, perhaps it won't be long before we see Adcom, Acurus, Musical Fidelity and similar lines in K-Mart or Walmart."

From my experience and the experiences others have posted here, you'd probably get the same level of product knowledge at Wally World that you get from salespeople at some audio stores. frown.gif

Tom Adams

IMHO it is a good thing to de-mystify high-end audio...since for many of the components ray mentioned listening is more important than "knowledge", true ability to mix and match components may require skill, but if most people put together systems by themselves and stay within product lines (like those mentioned by Ray)they should have few problems and get really great results...how can you put together some awful system with musical fideltiy components? creek? bryston? come on! power to the people! I could walk into a circuit city, close my eyes, select anything from McIntosh and have true High Fidelity in my home in a couple of hours! Go, Go, Go Circuit City!

Having just gotten back from Wal Mart, Ray Garrison said:

"Tom, uh, is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

Well Ray...I dunno. I mean, I remember what happened to Marantz and Pioneer many moons ago and how they sacrificed quality for quantity. Got to the point where you could buy that stuff almost in an Ace Hardware store (I know, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean). Both brands are back now with good stuff, but look how long it took them to recover and re-establish their reputation - almost a whole generation. But if McIntosh and the like can maintain quality, I don't see anything wrong with the concept. What the heck, aren't etailers just virtual Wal Marts?

Who knows, maybe Klipsch selling a limited line through K-Mart or summat would be the solution to this debate about Klipsch's internet/mail order policy debate. Audio dealers would have to be more price competitive to compete with the volume sales pricing at K-Mart and *everybody* has a K-Mart near them. smile.gif

OTOH, what the heck do I know - I'm just an egg-head engineer. wink.gif

Tom Adams

could be a lower end line of Macs, could also be a high end pricing strategy to pull up the average ticket price of units sold by comparing them with higher cost models, even though few of the high end stuff actually sells ...

There are a couple of lines that used to be carried at CC and some still are, that are FAR FROM the bottom of the line. Its nice to see that companies like that will sell higher end products so it give us consumers a chance to buy from a company that deals on price unlike so many other retailers.

Peter Z.