Wow, what a cool looking turntable

m00n

This one is awesome, expecially when filled with bitumen. I also put in goldplated rca-jacks. I'm saving for a VPI-scout (the bigger, sandwiched one). Over here (The Netherlands) that'll cost me 3000,- ex cartridge!(app. $3500.-)15.gif Why do I like American audio and why can't it be imported cheaper?7.gif BTW, I almost got there... untill I bought Craig's 272.9.gif

post-13557-1381925425343_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/4/2004 8:49:10 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Hey Gary! Your rapidly growing collection of old mono Blue Notes is SCREAMING for one of these!

----------------

I've seen Allan's table. That picture does not even come close to portraying just how gorgeous it is! The only problem, imho, is that Allan fails to realize how rare his talent for restoration is. Or just how freaking an*l he is. Just kidding. 9.gif

Chris

Allan, I'll defintely be seeing you at Helen's performance. What others do you recommend? And, are you going to eso's next Sunday?

Well you all know my approach. Start with a basic, non upgradable TT like the Project RPM four, and then upgrade it to lunacy....

new%20tt%20from%20top.jpg?dc=46754477983

This pic is fairly up to date - but it now has new feet (I posted them up here a couple of weeks back).

Thus far:

Table + arm + Project K4 cart + Project phono stage = 465 Euro

Upgrade from Project phono stage to Accoustic Signature Tango = 600 Euro

UPgrade from standard arm to through wired (Clearaudio sixstream) with better bearings but basically the same arm, tuned = 560 Euros

Upgrade from K4 (via various mistakes we will ignore) to shleter 901 = 900 Euros

Upgrade cabling from phono stage to Pre-amp = 45 Euros

Upgrade feet = 50 Euros

Grand total = 2,630 Euros or about $3000. All for a dogs dinner of a table, but it does play nicely.

If we want to cover the disasters along the way you could add another 1500 Euro in F**ked up carts.

In other words I could have got the entry level Clearaudio master reference for the same money, with a slightly lesser cart.

I am really glad this post made me do this summing up. I do feel good now!!!!

Gary,

Lets all just thank God my wife doesnt peruse this site - it would be her killing me!!

tim,

The Shelter 901 is the best cart I have ever heard and I have heard a few VERY expensive carts. The all new 90X is supposed to be even better but at $3000 it is a bit rich for my blood.

Yeah - for the money I reckon you would have to go some to beat it.

Timmikid,

If you have any concerns about US products, take a look at the German-built Scheu Premiere TT...

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/audio_visions/gallery/scheu_premier.jpg.

Its a great design (inverted bearing) and the $ is very competitive with the likes of the VPI Scout. It is a kit but that keeps the price down and assembly is a breeze - you can find the instructions on their web site (http://www.scheu-analogue.com/eng/). The Scheu design was the inspiration for the Teres and is still one of the best kits available. The Scheu arms are also highly regarded and beautiful but are pretty expensive.

BTW, Here's the Teres 265...

http://www.teresaudio.com/images/t-265-lg.jpg

Very nice! Have fun -Bryan

----------------

On 5/4/2004 9:15:49 AM garymd wrote:

You guys are great at helping me spend my hard-earned $$$$.9.gif

Too many choices! Unfortunately, it's impossible to audition TTs. It's going to be a gamble no matter what I end up with.

----------------

Gary,

It's interesting to see someone in the throws of attempting to sort through all the available turntable choices in your specified target price range @$1,500. I experienced similar agony about two years ago when I wanted to upgrade my Rega 3 with RB300 arm. The Rega combo, I purchased used, had been upgraded with Rega's Planar 3 motor and performed well. I knew I wanted the next step in resolution, etc. What to do?

To stay close to my specified target of spending approx $1500, I finally cut choices to VPI Scout and Clearaudio Champion, based on my perception of reputations for build quality and possible future upgrade ability. I had initally planned to easily stay within my target $$$ range by using my RB300 arm in either of the two final turntable options. The Scout table is pre-drilled for an RB300, also the Champion. Both had isolated motor drives, non suspended plinths, dealer and manufacturer support. My final decision to go with the Scout was tipped by cost of a complete package, all made by the same manufacturer, that I could live with for some time without immediatle upgrade. It is important to state that by adding the VPI JMW9 arm to the Scout, I got an arm with already installed excellent wiring, uni-pivot design, VTA adjustment, choice of adding interconnect of choice from table to phono pre, TT motor power cord upgrade choice, and best of all, easy addition of a second arm simply by plugging in another JMW9 setup with a different cartridge. The fexibility to easily add a second arm is something I'm beginning to appreciate more now that I have purchased the pieces to add a LOMC cartridge. The additional arm will mean only swapping arms if a MM cartridge is a better choice with the vinly to be played. No dismounting then remounting cartridge, re-balancing arm etc. Just plug and play, and VTA adjustment. A second turntable setup for only the cost of the arm.

The MMF9 was not a product at the time of my purchase and may have been given some consideration more for the included motor controller which is and item I intend to add to my Scout in the future. The MMF7 to my view did not offer sufficient performance upgrade to the Rega to warrant consideration. The overall quality of MMF9 TT and arm I can't comment on. It's also not clear to me if you can add your choice of phono interconnects and power cords. Not important to some, but would be for me.

My initial Scout price was $1600 with a Clearaudio Aurum Alpha MM cartridge. The cost of adding a VPI phono interconnect and an aftermarket power cord brought eventual cost to $1900, but not part of initial purchase pain. Not that far from Chris' expenditure of $2300 for his Champion. If left with an unhindered budget, I'd easily spend enough for a VPI Hot Rod TNT table, but then, I'm a serious vinyl lover with a large jazz collection.

A couple of other comments. Acrylic is a very popular material with modern manufactures designs due to its damping properties. Suspended tables like Thorens, Linn, etc., are still very popluar with many vinyl lovers, but proper table setup adds an additional variable to getting the ultimate sound desired by it's owner. I would not try to sway anyone from his preferred plinth choice. Each users mileage will vary.

So Gary, I hope I did not spend too many of your hard earned dollars. Good luck.

Klipsch out.

Just to add one more option into the mix - the Project RPM 9.

rpm9v.jpg

Its a cute little sucker. Plays nicely, Easy to setup and places the motor a reasonable distance from the platter (and therefore the cart).

In all honesty I dont think it would get my money - I would lean towards either the Clearaudio or the VPI as others here have said - but that 9c arm is a good one and makes the table worth considering.

Just thought I would add to the general confusion. Quite a plethora of options for a dead medium - aint it!!

----------------

On 5/4/2004 7:46:56 PM jazman wrote:

So Gary, I hope I did not spend too many of your hard earned dollars. Good luck.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Jazman,

Thanks for the well thought out reply. It's very helpful. I'm leaning toward the Scout right now and it's good to get as many opinions and experiences as possible.

Can you give me a recommendation regarding a reliable retail outlet? I'd like to start shopping around and talking to some dealers.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 1:12:54 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 5/4/2004 7:46:56 PM jazman wrote:

Klipsch out.

----------------

Jazman,

Thanks for the well thought out reply. It's very helpful. I'm leaning toward the Scout right now and it's good to get as many opinions and experiences as possible.

Can you give me a recommendation regarding a reliable retail outlet? I'd like to start shopping around and talking to some dealers.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

----------------

Gary,

Keep your eyes on Audiogon for the Scout, they go for $1200.oo used but get snatched up real quick.

Tom

Gary,

For local dealers, by all means talk to JS Audio in Bethesda, (301) 656-7020. Good store, the one I use for analog. A fellow name of Mark is supposed to be the best one to discuss it with. They ship from California, take about a week.

Larry

----------------

On 5/5/2004 3:21:03 PM larryclare wrote:

Gary,

For local dealers, by all means talk to JS Audio in Bethesda, (301) 656-7020. Good store, the one I use for analog. A fellow name of Mark is supposed to be the best one to discuss it with. They ship from California, take about a week.

Larry

----------------

Larry,

Thanks. Maybe you could introduce me. You could probably get me a discount too!3.gif

media.nl?id=3434&c=ACCT106601&h=7b4f8a2d an absolute requirement for me is a dust cover...many of the top TTs these days do not have one...what a drag! guess I will have to buy one of the new thorens tables, they alsways have a dust cover...regards, tony