PROJECTOR PROBLEM FOLLOW-UP

picky

Just to follow up, on the Projector post I'd started in this forum yesterday: It seems that a clogged air filter I did not see on top of the unit (actually the bottom because it's mounted upside down to the ceiling) was the apparent cause of the premature lamp failure. All is back to normal now. Thanks to all for the support everyone.

Let that be a lesson for all of us.

If ya wanna prevents yer equipments from goin

OOEY- KERBLOOEY ya better keep dem filters

fans, vents and gizmos clean. Noooo dust bunnies!

bugs vacuum sml.jpg

Dont forget. Grime is money.

As for you, Picky,

Im just glad you got the *@^#/$+!!%0&?* projector fixed.

----------------

On 5/3/2004 8:45:18 PM m00n wrote:

Makes me want to go look at my unit.

----------------

better you than any of us!!2.gif11.gif

picky-

i have changed the filter in my pj 3 times,only ONCE by being prompted by the on-screen 'filter must be changed' message...this is to prevent the dreaded 'dust blob' from getting thru, and filters are cheap and easy to change,whereas-well you know first hand what problems can develop.

glad you are all fixed-up.

avman.

----------------

On 5/4/2004 12:56:12 PM avman wrote:

----------------

On 5/3/2004 8:45:18 PM m00n wrote:

Makes me want to go look at my unit.

----------------

better you than any of us!!
2.gif11.gif

----------------

Oh CMon now... I seen you peeking over the bathroom wall. 7.gif2.gif

Picky - I know this is gonna sound lame, but I was gonna suggest that you look at all of your filters. Well, that is, I tried to post that suggestion, but the thread got shut down and I had to leave work. Anyhow....

What I would have posted yesterday was that in my projector research the issue of short bulb life has come up quite a few times as reported by actual users. And in most cases the short bulb life was attributed to dust filters not being cleaned. In particular is the Sanyo PLV70/Studio Experience 20HD I've been considering. That thing has a very bright bulb, but many people were complaining of short bulb life. I spoke at length to a Studio Experience dealer who has sold 40 or so 20HD's and he confirmed that bulb life was an issue for those folks that don't maintenance their filters as they should. Another thing this dealer pointed out that should have been obvious to me but wasn't, was what is meant by average bulb life. And that is, if the manufacturers claimed average bulb life is say 2000 hours, what they are saying is that in a representative sample of X number of bulbs, the average will be 2000 hours. IOW, some folks might get 1000 hours and some might get 3000 hours. Interesting, eh? Well....I thought it was.

Anywho - I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. And FWIW I'm with you and the others concerning the bum rush you got from a couple of pro CRT folks. Just made me shake my head when I read that yesterday.

Tom

Tom Adams:

Thanks very much for your thoughts and for the above information. Not "lame" at all. What happened on the other post is history: It happened, whether I was right or wrong I'm not proud of what happened and it's over. But, thanks just the same.

You give some very good advice here. And after examining my Sharp projector, it was painfully obvious all at once that I had missed cleaning the two areas on the projector bottom. The bottom faces the ceiling when the projector is suspended from the ceiling for front projection (as is the case in my installation). I had been periodically cleaning only all of the VISIBLE openings. (out-of-sight-out-of-mind) GEE, another reason to read that owner's manual I guess. I'm such a guy! LOL The lamp in this particular projector is quite large. I now have a new appreciation for just how hot that sucker gets. I'll be cleaning ALL of the vents once-a-month from now on!

GREAT maintenance tip! I've got a Canon projector that I haul around and use for client presentations of photos as well as for movie watching (it's got VGA and component vid inputs) It's also hung upside down, so I'll check all filters.

Question- do ya just wash out the filters, let em dry and reinstall or is there more servicing, like vacuuming out the projector that we can do to help extend bulb life. My unit is so critical to my business that I keep a $400 lamp on standby.

BTW, if you do use your projector in any type of portable capacity, do yourself a favor and get a PELICAN case for it. They have many sizes, they're plastic and waterproof, and you can get em with 'pick and pluck' foam so you can create a custom insert for your projector. Just remember to get a case large enough for cables and remote.

colterphoto1:

Wow, great tip on the road case. Thanks. But, no, we just leave it hanging from our ceiling. The projector is actually rather large in comparison to other DLPs I've seen. Considering the investment we've made in it, I'm sure you'll understand that we want to move it as little as possible. With my luck, I'd get "butterfingers" and drop it!

The filters on the Sahrp (to my knowledge) can only be vacuumed. I have not seen in the manual that they are removable.

----------------

On 5/7/2004 8:36:02 AM picky-picky wrote:

colterphoto1:

The filters on the Sahrp (to my knowledge) can only be vacuumed. I have not seen in the manual that they are removable.

----------------

i would be AMAZED if those filters were NOT replaceable...

please check that thouroughly.

my sony's manual specifically says to REPLACE them. hey-that way they get to sell more filters11.gif

seriously-you do NOT want 'dust blobs' on your display,so double-check the filter maintainence section of your manual.

avman.

avman: Although you give very good advice (thanks), according to the owner's manual and replacement parts list, the filters are apparently not replaceble on this rig.

filter1.jpgpost-10177-1381925426254_thumb.jpg