Home Theater seats

IndyKlipschFan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Indy!

How bout some ORIGINAL MSA (Market Square Arena) seats? I think an INdianapolis Monthly magazine had them listed a few months back. They're solid plastic so they can't get beer stained- I know we sure tried back in the 70's and 80's!

I'm thinking about getting a short row of them, mounting them on a small riser behind main seating for the 'overflow' crowd. It'll bring back memories of being MACED by the POLICE at LED ZEPPELIN back in 1977. I'm sure you have your own fond memories of this fine concert hall. Remember that THE KING played his last show at MSA!

Michael

For those not in the know, we (Indianapolis) ran out of money in the early 70's for seats, so they bought these all plastic ornage ones... When it was not full of people things echoed really bad at Market Square Arena. Yes, ELVIS did have his last concert there. Now MSA is all torn down doomed to be a parking lot I am sure.

Actually my first MSA concert was Neil Diamond. We had like 8th row seats. In his day he was incredible, heck for that matter, he is still pretty darn good!! He had top of the line JBL gear and the raspiness and lower register of his voice just shook the whole place. It was awesome. I still, to this day, like Neil too.

LOL!

All: Yes, I do agree that the La-Z's are expensive. But, we found them to be quite comfortable. Everyone is different about their seating requirements and no problem with your observations damonrpayne. Those Berklines sound like an unbelieveable bargin! One thing I do wish to point out: when seated in the La-Z Matinee series your ears ARE above the seat back cushion and you are able to hear all of the surrounds on our 7.1 system with no obstruction.

I too, have seen several beautiful theaters laid out using regular recliners and they were pretty cool. But, that sound blocking issue DOES come into play with them if they have high backs. So, when you are trying out seats in the store please be mindful of the seat back height in relationship to your ear-level.

We went with the theater-lounger style only because of two things: First, I am a very large man (95th percentile) and I am uncomfortable in standard theater seats. Second, we wanted to make our room into a place we could entertain as well after the movie so the seats needed to be a bit bigger and more comfortable for lounging around than standard seats offer. And, because of our very narrow room, big, wide, separate recliners weren't an option for us. Not all rooms (or butts) are the same. 2.gif

Just remember: Just because the seat is expensive, doesn't mean it the seat for you. Best of luck.

Thanks guys for the feedback concerning purpose built HT seating versus your basic bark-o-lounger seats. The point raised concerning the back of a recliner blocking rear surround sound due to it being tall is a very good point indeed. In fact, I suspect the two recliners (already had them) that we have in our HT room right now will do just what you guys have pointed out - i.e. block the sound from my rear surrounds. Right now this isn't an issue because my temporary setup is only 5.1 so my side surrounds are not blocked. However, once the system is fully 7.1 functional, looks like I will need to address this issue.

Once again - thanks guys!! 1.gif

Oh - and I apologize Indy for hi-jacking this thread.

Tom

----------------

On 5/5/2004 8:33:32 AM Tom Adams wrote:

In fact, I suspect the two recliners (already had them) that we have in our HT room right now will do just what you guys have pointed out - i.e. block the sound from my rear surrounds.

Tom

----------------

Yes, you're absolutely correct - My recliner blocks a good chunk of the rear-channel 'directionality', even with the speakers mounted at about 7' up.

Darn, it looks like I'll HAVE to buy a Berkline HT chair soon!

2.gif

Indy-

I am finishing our basement and we bought a variety of recliners from Lane, in their Majestic line.

http://www.action-lane.com/Products/ProdInfoDet.asp?MasterNo=12690

We got the microfiber fabric which should be good for small kids and the prices were pretty reasonable. We got a couple of separate recliners, and a left/right recliner combo with the "center island" for extra cupholders as well as the storage compartment for the remotes. Prices for the 5 pieces were pretty reasonable.

I'd post some pics, but right now they are all in the garage. Construction will be done in a couple weeks, so I can post some pics then if you want. We bought at Homestead House, and I think they are a national chain. But you could certainly look around for other Lane distributors, as I'm sure you have a ton in Indy.

They are quite comfortable, and give a nice feel to the room. And reclining is waaay cool.

Ah, Moon, no worries - I have the same seats as you do, and I am happy with them. OK, sometimes I want something better. Alright, I just said to my wife two nights ago "I'm getting tired of the seats". Crap. Where's the money gonna' come from? I'm still buying SPEAKERS. For that matter, I ALREADY see myself getting K-Horns someday! Will this end? Will our hero be trapped in an unconsciousness of horn-induced madness?

A disease..........!!!

Popbumper

(Three months into HT and going nuts, thanks to this Klipsch forum, primarily)14.gif

Thanks for the reassurance, Moon. Now, if you would please wrestle the hanging ropes from my clenched fist.....6.gif

Popbumper

Ah, never mind. I feel at home here knowing that there are plenty of "crazies". I appreciate you guys/gals. I can think of worse things to obsess over!!

Popbumper said

"Will this end? Will our hero be trapped in an unconsciousness of horn-induced madness?"

Yep pretty soon you will be hosting garage sales

trying to sell your furniture off to get a pair of K-Horns I can see it now, Empty room with 2 K-Horns

and a pair of milk crates to sit on

9.gif

PS if you hang around the back of a supermarket at night you may be able to ****** a pair of crates

I have seen herds of Klipsch addicts gathering at dawn

for a chance to acquire some fine furnishings The ones with Safeway stamped on them are becomming quite collectable 9.gif

----------------

On 5/5/2004 4:18:32 PM htxpert wrote:

PS if you hang around the back of a supermarket at night you may be able to ****** a pair of crates

I have seen herds of Klipsch addicts gathering at dawn

for a chance to acquire some fine furnishings The ones with Safeway stamped on them are becomming quite collectable
9.gif

----------------

I don't need to hang around the dumpster behind the supermarket. I just hang around the dumpster behind the ski shop at the ski hill 11.gif

snowshack_1787_3135676

Steven

That chair looks wicked Very original and creative

I forgot to mention if you use the milk crates for your seating you may want to consider covering the top with

cardboard (Also available behind the supermarket) This will prevent your backside looking like your breakfast waffle after a serious listening session

2.gif

----------------

On 5/6/2004 10:04:11 AM htxpert wrote:

I forgot to mention if you use the milk crates for your seating you may want to consider covering the top with

cardboard (Also available behind the supermarket) This will prevent your backside looking like your breakfast waffle after a serious listening session

2.gif

----------------

LOL!

Htexpert:

But...what if I am "geographically challenged" and do not have access to said "Safeway" crates? Boy, this is just not fair - not only do I have to accept "lowly" Forte's, but I am relegated as well to non-desireable "Kroger" and "Albertson's" crates....5.gif

What's a guy to do? I should have never come here...9.gif

Popbumper

----------------

On 5/4/2004 10:19:20 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

For those not in the know, we (Indianapolis) ran out of money in the early 70's for seats, so they bought these all plastic ornage ones... When it was not full of people things echoed really bad at Market Square Arena. Yes, ELVIS did have his last concert there. Now MSA is all torn down doomed to be a parking lot I am sure.

----------------

Actually IKF the old MSA lots are supposed to be mid-rise tower condos (like we need more $300K+ condos downtown) with street level retail space. Just what "ve heard here in the City-CountyBldg.

peace, mitch

But...what if I am "geographically challenged" and do not have access to said "Safeway" crates? Boy, this is just not fair - not only do I have to accept "lowly" Forte's, but I am relegated as well to non-desireable "Kroger" and "Albertson's" crates....

Hi Popbumper

This subject was just discussed in my weekly Klipschaholics anonymous meeting one member concluded that the other branded crates made excellent Audio Racks for his Aragon Pre Amp and Amp

he went on to say that the stack ability and different color of the crate made his system the focal point in the room He even said he was considering submitting the idea to Trading Spaces and HGTV

1.gif

Kroger milk crates do not deliver the wide soundstage, smoothness, and clarity in the mids and highs that Albertson's crates do. And the older crates you have from high school days will not allow accurate reproduction of the most current digital formats. You must get the rigth crates for your system and room, or why bother at all....

P.S. The "buttwaffle effect" mentioned earlier can also create multiple reflection points that muddy the bass, but only in the event you are standing or dancing post-imprinting.