If you aren't using zip cord....

I use Monster cable ( the clear stuff with stranded copper wire), I bought it by the foot and seems to work ok, use to use zip cord before that, can't efford the high dollar stuff and it hard to believe that it sounds that much better for the price, if any better. Maybe I'am wrong here but someone would have to let me try some out to prove me wrong.2.gif

Yeehaaaa -- it's the quarterly wire thread!!

Stay away from Mapleshade -- that guy's a complete loon. I love the part in the catalog where is says he would rather listen to Radio Shack Minimus 7's with good cable, than a good speaker with zip cord -- or something to that effect. The claims for all of the tweaks in that catalog are ridiculously over the top -- almost as bad as my crossover mods.1.gif

Dean, are you saying that guy is "shadey"?2.gif

That's the one with $500 knobs isn't it?

Dr C, like everything else you have to listen to different things to find out what sounds best in your system, in your room, to your ears. Don't try anything of this nature that doesn't come with a free trial period. IMHO

Rick

Yeah, that's him. He scares the hell out of me. What blows my mind is thinking about folks forking over the money for the B.S. he's feeding them. After seeing the guy's interconnects last year, I was tempted to wrap my whole rack in Saran Wrap, and send him a digital picture of it in an email.

I ventured onto this board a couple of years ago with the same question and received some very useful advice. After reading all the posts here and researching a bit on Cable Asylum I chose to make my own CC89259 cables. The cost for a 20 foot pair was less than $100 and it was a fun project. I've been pleased with the results in my particular system but I've never objectively compared them with the original zip cords. If you have the time and a $100 to play with I'd say try them and see.

My system:

1976 Cornwalls ALK crossovers

Stax Lambda Signature earspeakers SRM T1 tube driver

Rega P25 turntable Benz Micro H2 cartridge

McIntosh MC225 amplifier

McIntosh C15

McIntosh MR71 tuner

DIY 89259 cross-connect speaker cable

DIY Superlatives interconnects

I was too lazy to win 100ft. spool on ebay...was a good price too. I found some for a decent price but if I had one that auction I could have made two pairs and bi-wired or most likely sold the 2nd pair.

I know a place thast will do 140$ for a 14' pair. (long wait)

Another that will do a kit for around 100$.

Yet another for 205$ assembled and shipped.

I'd like to do the CC89259 myself if I can find the time and I'd save money.

The Mapletree is a silver plated copper. Element Cable offers a 30 day trial like Mapletree; I wish I had the cash to try both just for fun.

Jon

----------------

On 5/5/2004 7:17:18 AM chops wrote:

So what exactly is this "CC89259 cable" supposed to do for you and how does it not short out your amp if both the + and - are cross-wired?!

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Please explain..

----------------

Ok..... So no one has an answer for me? Frankly, it seems kinda fishy to me.

Just a little point to make here regarding speaker wire. PWK originally did all of his testing of speakers, his voicing of them, etc... using the standard white zip cord...this went on for over 40 years. It would seem to me that any perceived audible difference made by using anything else would actually mean a change to his testing results...which were carried out to make the most accurately reproducing speakers he could make. Now...whether that change is actually beneficial OR it is just a CHANGE from the accuracy he tested his speakers for...is a completely different matter. Something to think about. Klipsch Audio Technologies recently embraced Monster cable for the internal wiring of its speakers. The Monster cable used today is a larger guage and the strands are not plated to inhibit corrosion of the copper like on the old zip cord used, but otherwise is not that much different from the zip cord PWK used for those many years. Again, something to think about. All of the monster cable I have ever bought eventually "greens" with corrosion starting at its cut end and working up into the clear vinyl insulation...eventually "greening" completely along its length. None of the original zip cord as used by PWK that I have has done this yet. Again, something to think about.

Due to furniture placement constraints, I am currently using a 35 foot spkr. wire run in my living room system.

Anyone know a place that has a good price on 35 foot of Nordost or other high-end name brand? Really, I have an extra kidney to put towards it.

Chops,

CC89259 is a wire project based on the BELDEN 89259 coaxial cable.

The funny part is it takes some time to wade thru the DIY audio articles on the net and find a place that sells this stuff buy the spool and for a whole lot less per foot than one of these boutique store rip off artists.

Basically its just BELDEN 89259 wire with some snazzy RCA jacks.

Zip cord may be just as good, I never heard the CC89259 wire.

Well I like what I'm getting from my Kimber 8TC cables. It's pure copper wire, just like my Magwire (actual magnet wire) Naked interconnects, and the 16 gauge Monstercables going to my subs, centers, and surrounds.