How many using 6.1 setup?

popbumper

All:

I know that 5.1 is going the way of the "wagon wheel". My question is, how many of you are successfully using 6.1 setups currently? I plan to add the sixth channel here shortly, but is there even much source material out there on DVD, in particular, that utilizes the sixth channel discretely? Only one DVD I can name right now is Gladiator - and that particular DVD (they have two) is $10 more than the 5.1 DD/DTS release. $10 for one more REAR channel mixed in?

If I am missing something, please speak up. Still a newbie....

Popbumper 9.gif

I have 6.1

The center channel can be played rfom 5.1 maaterial by using the DD EX function or DTS ES function which will matrix source material from the side aurrounds to fill in this gap between the side surrounds....

It tends to take what is the same from the side surrounds.....

Check your receiver first to ensure it is 6.1 capable

----------------

On 5/5/2004 3:41:12 PM popbumper wrote:

All:

I know that 5.1 is going the way of the "wagon wheel". My question is, how many of you are successfully using 6.1 setups currently?

If I am missing something, please speak up. Still a newbie....

Popbumper
9.gif

----------------

Yes, I also have a 6.1 setup. As was already mentioned, there are some very good stuff that is in true 6.1, such as the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

Also, as is already mentioned, just about any modern reciever or pre/pro equipped with DD EX and/or DTS ES will be able to "matrix" the rear center from a 5.1 source.

Yeah, if you have the room and the little bit of extra money to add the sixth speaker, it may very well be worth it.

so far my one experience w/6.1 (gladiator)on a 6.1 system has been dissapointing...

not much coming out the center rear.

i am going to try my C-7 as center rear as soon as i get my new KLF-30 converted into a center channel(front).

my receiver,while 5.1,does a nice job of simulating a center rear when in 'virtual matrix 6.1' mode.

avman.

I wouldn't write off 5.1 yet. I think the main driving force behind 6.1 (and even 7.1) is for applications in large rooms. I think many people are being sold 6.1 so someone can sell another speaker (or even influence them into upgrading their components) -- not because it is really going to make their HT sound better. Unless you have a large room (or a rather wide one) I wouldn't waste your $ on 6.1 hype.

I have the capability to go 6.1 discrete but I lack the rear center speaker. At present I just use the 5.1 set up, my current room is smallish and I am moving the system to a bigger room. I probably won't go 6.1 until I get another set of Heresy's