DVD-Audio for the PC

Mr. Blorry

I own an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card, and I asked the manufacturer if my card was compatible with dvd-audio. They told me yes, and that what I needed was dvd-audio software, and any old dvd drive in my pc. If you've ever shopped for pc dvd player drives, they're mostly all the same, and are only made by just a few manufacturers anyway! Nonetheless, I found a comparison review, and the Pioneer model was rated highest. It was a whopping five dollars more expensive than the others, so I took the plunge. The only dvd-audio software I can find is the Soundblaster stuff, but it's only compatible with its own cards. Minnetonka makes some incredible authoring software, but all I want to do is listen. I want to be able to play my dvd-audio discs on my pc, run digital out into my 7.1 receiver, and crank up my Klipsches!!!

Right now, the only other dvd player I have is an "old" (3 years) Denon player that is neither progressive scan nor dvd-audio compatible, so I can only listen to the dolby digital track on the disc. Elsewhere I had learned that all pc dvd drives are progressive scan, as long as you're viewing the video on your pc monitor, so I began to wonder that maybe all I needed to listen to the dvd-audio tracks was compatible software! As I said earlier, this myth was furthered by the tech folks at m-audio, so where is this elusive software? Anyone have any ideas? Am I chasing something that doesn't exist? I am going to pose this question in the sound card forum as well, but I thought you guys may be able to shed some light as well!

Mr. Blorry-

I hate to tell you this...but M-Audio didn't answer the question which you really wanted answered. Is the ANY M-Audio card capable of PLAYING the high res layers of DVD-A? The answer is sadly NO, there are currently NO software players and decoders for high resolution DVD-As. M-Audio has continued to mislead its customers with WRONG information and in some instances blatant lies, and false promises. I have a M-Audio Revo which they had a slip of paper and brochures promised DVD-A players and it will NEVER appear. The only cards currently capable of playing the high res DVD-A is the SoundBlaster cards. The reason for this is that the industry doesn't want anything transmitted in high res or decoded by software due to the belief that the encryption protocol could be reverse engineered and thus easily pirated online. The soundblaster does the decryption via hardware.

If you look at the AVSForum, you will find LOTS of hostility towards M-Audio due to the lack of the promised DVD-A support and crappy crappy drivers and support.

-Dave

FINALLY! Some straight answers!! Thanks Dr. Pyro! This now makes sense. I understand the industry's take on it; this (and SACD, I guess) is their last bastion of copyright infringement protection, as they will never be able to completely stop the flow of pirated CDs around the world, and they know as soon as it's available on the PC, someone will crack their code. The ironic thing is that the advantage of mp3s is their ability to be compressed, as straight wav files are too big to house on a PC in large numbers, but compression technology in both digital music and digital photography leads to inferior products, and audiophiles wouldn't stand for a dvd-a mp3 type file if the sound quality has been compromised!

I agree with my fellow disgruntled M-Audio owners. In turn, Soundblaster has never proven themselves to me as a viable competitor in the high-end PC audio market, and I liken them to the Bose of the PC. They're all about marketing and fluff, and slim to none for substance, and they seem to have geared themselves to the gamer community and not the serious audiophiler, which is why I chose M-Audio in the first place. I still think they produce a superior product, but I am certainly upset that they lied to us.

So I guess the options are now to suck it up and buy a (yecch) soundblaster card, wait for another manufacturer to make one, or just go buy a component dvd-audio player, like the sweet Denon DVD-2900!! I think I'll save my pennies and go for the latter. 1.gif

BTW, Toddvj, you can't get the full dvd-audio capabilities from a digital coaxial or optical output?!? It's still best to use six separate RCA connectors?

Mr. Blorry-

What Toddvj is refering to is that both SACD and DVD-A REQUIRE the use of analog connections to listen to the high resolution tracks of the two formats. Again it all stems from the idea that if high resolution tracks are transmitted digitally, then it WILL be illegally copied and shared. SO, someones bright idea was to only alow the use of 6 analog connectors, which has made a complete nightmare for users and a gold mine for cable manufactures. HOWEVER, recently they have approved the use of firewire (IEEE-1394) to digitally transmit high resolution DVD-A and SACD (its encrypted naturally). However, very few players and recievers have yet to incoperate the connector or necessary DSPs in the recievers/Pre-Pros.

Hope this helps....

-Dave

Well, there it is then! If one has to use the separate analog outs for dvd-a and sacd, then my m-audio card is useless no matter what software is developed! Thanks again Dr. Pyro. I am glad you pointed that out, as I believe I will soon be purchasing a dvd-audio player, and must consider the added cost of three stereo RCA cable pairs.

I hope I can find a reasonable cabling solution, as monster stuff is really nice, but ridiculously overpriced, and I have trouble believing it is truly worth the extra cost. Granted, I won't be buying the cheap junk they sell at Radio Shack, but there must be an affordable alternative.

I have to wonder how the folks at M-Audio had the cojones to tell everyone their card was dvd-a compatible when it doesn't even have the necessary connections!