vert. corns on ebay

if anyone is interested their are what looks like verticle corns on ebay, their not advertised as verticles, but looking at the off set woofers through the grills i'd say their verticle corns. i don't think the person knows what they really have judging by the ad. check em out #3095487854.

He does have a pretty good idea of what he has. He makes his living by buying from estate sales and reselling. This pair is in Dallas and he will NOT ship, as he states in his ad. He and I had a long talk yesterday and I will see them in the morning.

These are what I've been looking/waiting for, for a long time and I will be bidding on them. If someone else is interested let's talk so we're not bidding against each other.

Mike

piranha, i would save your money. a while back i took the unit over to craigs to compare audible differences to his non modded 333es and found no differences at all. we played two of the same cd on each machine started at the same time and on the same tracks and switched back and forth. neither of us could hear any difference. i was disappointed to hear no difference, but still happy with the awsome sound from these units. i can't immagine the unit sounding any better than it does. i really like the unit even though i paid way to much for it $900. we used craigs lascala's for the test, maybe we should have tried different speakers just to see, don't know, but i'm still happy with this unit just the same. this unit does have an l-clock and various caps black gates etc.

Good2/Gilbert,

These are what I am looking for as well but I am not in a postion to bid (growl grown sigh) at the moment so it looks you got em. Good luck. I am looking for one actually to use as a center between my La Scala's until I can get a pretty beat up La Scala to split into two sections and refurb.

R/Jim

Yep, another behind the scenes eBay deal. Made him an offer, he no doubt accepted, guy made himself high bidder and he then closed the auction to any further bidding. Guess it pays to ask sometimes instead of being patient and waiting the auction out.

i just got a e-mail from the seller. here is his answer. since i only got one bid in 5 days i didn't think anyone was interested. i let someone talk me into selling them. i got chumped. i might learn someday (hopefully) he said.

I got the 1974 Vertical Cornwalls. If it helps, I am a 1st time offender.

Now the how and why:

These were originally listed with a "Buy It Now" price of $750.00 (per the seller on Tuesday when I met him to inspect the speakers) on May 7th @ 5:55 AM. At 7:40 AM "dallasermd" (who just became my new best friend) placed a very ill advised bid, thus killing the BIN price! It does not pay to be greedy!!

If you go and search the sellers sales history, you will see that there are 13 items listed, (as of the time this is posted). Two items received no bids. Of the remaining 11 items, which sold, 7 were sold at the BIN price. Look at the short amount of time most lasted. This seller is interested in turning inventory.

My position has always been see/inspect major eBay purchases and that is why I went to see them before bidding. I really think you can get burned if you don't, by either the sellers intentions or their ignorance. As some of you know, I bought a perfect McIntosh C-33 a few years ago on eBay for a great price (the seller did not post pictures. A cardinal sin). I drove to Birmingham, AL to pick it up (1,400 miles round trip). If the C-33 was as described I would pay for it and pick it up, if not I wasn't going to pay for it. It was as described. I've looked at EVERY pair of verticals available in the DFW area (that I have been aware of) in the last 2 1/2 years. NONE have had 100% correct drivers. Gilbert I have pictures (I took) of the verticals you bought in Denton!, but you out bid me. My point is I'm going to reduce my risk by seeing the actual merchandise.

I contacted him on Friday (May 7th) and we talked for 90+ minutes on Sunday, after he sent me his phone number, but I couldn't get there until Tuesday to see them. He'd only received the one bid (mentioned above) by then and was concerned.

He has been doing Estate Sales for years. That is the way he makes his living. On physically large items, especially speakers he usually acts as what amounts to a wholesaler and sells the big items to a couple of regular customers in Dallas. They never make it to eBay. Currently his main customer is ill and had told him couldn't buy anything.

He is reasonably familiar with all the old large speakers, Klipschorns, EV Patricians, etc. He knew most of what these speakers were about, with one major exception. Since the labels did not say "Cornwall II" (they just say Cornwall) he believed they were not Cornwall II's even though they are verticals. He was very sure of that fact. And I did not contradict him.

He had received two (2) phone calls with offers to end the bidding and pick them up. I wonder who they were? Why didn't he take their offer? This was not a question to be ask at the time. But, he did tell me what they offered!

I got him to open the speakers up and the tweeters were not correct. They are mud magnets. I pointed this out to him. He was honest about the water stain, but the riser's finish may not be repairable from water damage on 3 sides (from years of moping the floor around them is my guess). There were LOTS of little nicks all over, but nothing else major. However, being lacquer EVERY nick shows. I think, with some serious work by a professional, they will look great. The grill cloth is very "50's", but in perfect shape, as are the logos.

We spend over an hour talking and getting to know each other. When, he offered them to me, I hum'd and haw'd for a couple of minutes while we talked about the speakers and his business. I did not want to appear too eager AND I now wanted this guy as a future source. I accepted the offer he made. He got what he wanted/ask for and I paid less than what I was willing to bid.

Based on the information I had and the circumstances at the time, I believed these would never have lasted until the end of the bidding, so I accepted his offer. I did not go there with the intention of asking him to end the bidding early. I had planned to be a sniper too, since no one in the thread had offered to back off, after I made the first statement of interest (and it is their right not to).

I called a friend and arranged to borrow him and his truck, that afternoon to pick them up. I'm currently without significant other so it was not necessary to obtain permissions to make the purchase.

After I got them home one of the tweeters doesn't work. This is just what you learn to accept/expect in this hobby when eBay is involved and for sure when the seller is not the owner.

One of the posters to this thread said the seller felt like he'd been "chumped". Would you feel "chumped" if you got what you ask for, but were later told (I'm guessing here) that you might have received 75% to 90% more! The answer is yes, you would feel "chumped".

So again, based on the information I had and the circumstances at the time, I believed these would never last until the end of bidding, so I accepted his offer.

If others feel differently I'm willing fall on my sword and leave the forum.

Respectfully,

Mike

Congratulations Mike! Of course there is no need to leave the forum or even feel guilty about it. That's just ridiculous! Anyone else who was interested in buying them would have done the same thing if they had the same opportunity. There can only be one winner. Glad to see it was a Forum member.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 2:17:37 AM JMON wrote:

Congratulations Mike! Of course there is no need to leave the forum or even feel guilty about it. That's just ridiculous! Anyone else who was interested in buying them would have done the same thing if they had the same opportunity. There can only be one winner. Glad to see it was a Forum member.

----------------

Congrats Mike, can't say it any better than JMON. when the seller said he was chumped, i think he meant he chumped himself. you have to know the value of your items for sale. BIN for $750, thank God i didn't see it at that price. i paid BIN $1495 and $250 to pack & ship for the 71 Vertical Cornwall 11's on april 18th on ebay. he could have checked the completed items page to see what he was selling was worth. they are sweet looking Corns, Enjoy Russ