Movie Theaters Give You The Creeps?

bchild311

Just wondering if any of you guys are feeling like I do about the local theaters. Why the hell would anyone want to go sit in one of these places after experiencing your very own home theater is beyond me. I can't remember the last time I went to the theater and said, "Wow that was great sound ..." or "I really loved the comfy seats ..."

The last movie I saw was Return of the King last winter and I only endured through the theater because I wanted to see the end of the trilogy. I hated it though. The sticky floor, the overpriced tickets, the lame sound, and the freakin idiots who kept talking through the whole movie and then clap at the end ... GAWL I HATE THAT!

So anyway ... anyone else need to vent? or have comments about how lame theaters have become?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think Theaters have become any more lame, I just think we are spoiled on our systems at home. I go to the theater if there is a movie I can't wait to see. Last one I went to was Passion of the Christ, before that I think it probably WAS LOTR:ROTK. I will be going to see the new Harry Potter Movie, the new Spider-Man movie, and maybe Troy. Most movies, though, I wait for the DVD, and some I wait for HBO.

By the way, I LOVE to clap at the end of a movie. It's great, because most of the time everyone else starts clapping too.9.gif I usually nudge my wife as if to say, "watch this," and then get the whole audience to clap. You should try it, it's fun!!!9.gif

I think movie theaters are great. You know just getting out there and doing something i can get into that than just sitting home all the time watching my setup. Even if i had the badest system in the world. It's still good to get out. But i do know what you mean by sound and coziness, and the freedom to do what you want in your own home. Nothing touches that!

Even though I have one hell of a nice system, I still very much enjoy going and seeing a movie in the theater. I find that our local theater has a kickn' setup. I also enjoy the sound of huge rooms as well. very spacious something I can't duplicate in my small room.

i just wish people wouldnt be so messy in them, but that will never happen

i dont think i've ever been in a movie theater where the floors arnt like fly paper, even a brand new 5 month old THX certified one, so so sticky, when i go to the movies it seems like i'm the only person trying to keep the place clean 14.gif

i think movie theaters are like rental cars, people dont give a damn about them because they dont own them

I've got the theaters beat as far as sound goes, so sitting at home on my couch with the sound turned up a bit is great. But I'm still behind on the video side and seeing new movies on a really big screen is too much to pass up. Plus I just really enjoy going out to see them (having 4 theaters with 50+ screens within just a few minutes of the house is nice).

Now as far as people talking, cell phones ringing, little kids making noise, etc... you get one strike and then I tell you to shut the F up (saying it out loud usually does the trick). If it continues I'll get a manager or request my money back.

I always look forward to going to the movies, then normally returned disappointed. I saw Passion of Christ and it was fine - movie before that was Return of the King. Sound was not nearly as good as mine (I watched the Two Towers the day before at home, so the comparison was easy). Worst part, people would not shut up. Even through the end. Can't believe people would sit through 9+ hours of a story just to talk through the end 7.gif

Anyway, I'll continue to go because I'm a glutton. I will also continue to be impressed by my home set-up afterwards 16.gif

i prefer the sound in my ht room,although i get pretty good sound at the local theater-but at home I control the volume.

also,watching "the 106" from 13ft.away is a fairly good 'cinematic' experience.

i can also pause and replay-with subtitles if i miss something that was said.

my choice of beverages and food,no unwanted talking or other distractions...many advantages to the HOME theater experience.

i do go to the theater when i just can't wait for the dvd,or just to 'get out'.

avman.

Please forgive me for what is about to become a huge post. The essence of why I built our home theater in the first place:

Just as m00n mentions above, I too, enjoy the "large room feel" of a real movie theater. In my small home, that is something which is impossible to duplicate. But as time goes by it is getting more difficult to find any of the large, one-screen theaters. Most of the old "one-screeners" with their big rooms and huge screens have since been split in half and transformed into dual or multiple-screen theaters. And, Multiplexs have since become "megaplexs" with 20 or more screens, and so on.

Most local theaters, regardless of their size, seem to share the same set of inherent problems:

Kids: NOW! Don't get me wrong: I LOVE kids, and have two of my own. But when they attend a theater un-chaperoned, which tends to be the case these days, they are a theater-goer's NIGHTMARE!

Concessions: Well, what can I say? That have ALWAYS been too pricey!

Cell Phones: I love mine! But, I shut the freaking thing off in the theater, or at least put it on "Vibrate" and then step out to take any calls!

And then there is is usual: Gum on the floor, talking, someone kicking the back of your seat, and having your car stereo boosted in the parking lot while you are watching your favorite film..... 'Gone in 60 seconds'!

Granted, most of the screens featured in the new megaplexes offer fairly-large screens with stadium-style seating, which has brought back that "large room feel". Trouble is, the megaplexs, by their own nature, have brought with them their own new set of problems: In order to make any money in one of these mega-screen-monsters, two things are key: volume and efficiency.

By volume, I do not refer to loudness. Instead, I refer to crowds. Unless one visits these places at unusual times, such as dinner time on a Monday night, they are going to be faced with crowds. And with the larger the crowd, the more kids there are going to be present. (See earlier comment about Kids above)

The other pitfall is efficiency: In order to be efficient, theaters no longer have one projectionist per screen. Instead, the stadium-style seating building structure accomodates the theater by allowing it to have a hidden hallway upstairs that connects every screen's projection room with all of the others. Hence, the theater expects one person to oversee as many as 10 or more projection rooms simultaneously! That is why they stagger starting times. In support of this, projection systems have become primarliy automated systems. Little attention is given to things such as lens focus, sound volume and overall quality. So long as the bulb isn't burned out and the film isn't flying all over the floor, things are pretty much status quo in these huge "picture palaces". Also, when is the last time you saw an usher come into the room during the picture? Do they even have them any more? Now, I see only "cleaning crews". They are those people who stand near the exits dressed in their matching T-Shirts with their wheeled, waste-barrels, and brooms waiting with baited breath for the movie to end so they can begin their assault on all of the trash strewn throught the theater by the patrons viewing the movie. Hey, somebody's gotta do it. But, no flashlight-carrying ushers with the fancy hat and the braided, gold epilets on their shoulders. Yeah, I know; my age is showing. LOL!

Two months ago, I sat threw 3-1/2 hours of the Lord of the Rings during an 8:00 PM showing watching it out-of-focus, and too loud the entire time. Oh yeah, and a kid about 11 years old that was there with just his 11-year-old buddy, took delight in making his theater seat squeak loudly throughout the entire movie. Not one, person nearby said anything too the lad. Where were his parents? Where were the ushers? Where was the projectionist? $8 bucks each (not counting concessions); what a deal! -NOT! The sound quality of today's theaters, even when at an appropriate volume leaves much to be desired. But, it is better than it used to be. The lack of focus, however, is unforgivable.

In defense of movie theaters, there is one near here that cannot be matched for overall quality and just plain "wow-factor": The Henry Ford IMAX Theater in Dearborn, Michigan. It is well-managed and well-staffed. The equipment is truely state-of-the-art and the experience one gets for their $12 admission fee is worth every penny.

I must say that since we have put together our theater at home, watching our 78" screen from ten feet away is nearly like being at the big theater. The picture and sound are both better and the seats are more comfortable. Many guests have said this is "just like the movies"...minus the gum and the talking and the cellphones...and whatever. We love our home theater and would not trade it for anything. But, I must admit, we still (for some unknown reason) like to put ourselves through the torment of going to see a movie at the local theater. I guess that makes gluttons for punishment. 9.gif But, I really think that the days of the "movie theater" are numbered. So, you'd better go while you still can!

this topic brings another thought to mind-CONCERTS!!!

there aren't many if ANY concerts i have been to that can match the sound performance of my ht room. i can (and DO) achieve high spl's w/out having to have my ears ringing afterwards(although i have done that too).also,i am always up front and center as far as being able to see the performers,and for the most part,the video quality is very good-to-great!

also,i get the opportunity to experience bands and performers play in a concert venue that,unfortunately,i either missed,or cannot see again(stevie ray vaughn/led zepplin/etc.)

this is a big deal for me as concerts and music,IMO,really make a superior sound system stand out.

avman.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 11:20:04 AM picky wrote:

But, I really think that the days of the "movie theater" are numbered. So, you'd better go while you still can!

----------------

Based on what? You just mentioned that there are crowds everytime you go out to the movies. I don't think they are hurting for business just yet.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 11:20:04 AM picky wrote:

Concessions:
Well, what can I say? That have ALWAYS been too pricey!

----------------

While this is true, I've learned why that is and don't feel so hasty as I once did...

About a year ago now, I was very interested in buying a movie theater. I was doing a lot of research on this. One of the areas of research was the concessions. A lot of people think that the movie house seems all if not most of the money from ticket sales, however, the opposite is true. In most cases, the house sees very little to non of the money made on ticket sales. That money goes back to the film distributors (Hollywood baisically). The only way in which a theater can make even break even or make a profit is by charging inflated prices on the concessions.

So when poeple get upset about this and think that the house is jacking up the prices simply "because they can", they really need to understand the business model in which the places operate.

BTW, I still want to own a movie theater, but the only one in the area was a small 2 screener and bairly brought in enough money for the owners to stay on top of things, not to mention they did not make enough money to even pay for help which mean they were there 7 days a week. And this was a first run movie house. *BLEH* That would get old very quick.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 4:55:42 PM m00n wrote:

About a year ago now, I was very interested in buying a movie theater. I was doing a lot of research on this. One of the areas of research was the concessions. A lot of people think that the movie house seems all if not most of the money from ticket sales, however, the opposite is true. In most cases, the house sees very little to non of the money made on ticket sales. That money goes back to the film distributors (Hollywood baisically). The only way in which a theater can make even break even or make a profit is by charging inflated prices on the concessions.

----------------

I guess that also explains why they get so p1ssy when you try to bring your own food into the movies (easy to do during the winter, since you could sneak it in inside your jacket).

Well, in this area, there is a 4-screen theater that is up for sale as well as the three-screener in the mall (right across the street from a 15-screen movie theater, which is also only three blocks from my house!). If I had the money, I thought it would be cool to buy and fix up the 4-screen theater (and it needs some serious work), and try to bill it as "high-end". That is complete with the usher with the velvet jacket and gold-braided epilates, servers to actually bring you drinks, etc. The thing is, I wonder how something like that would go in this area.

As to the whole issue of going out to the movies. I'll admit that it is fun to go every now and again, especially when they keep giving us free tickets here at work. There is that occasional movie that I just got to see, such as the aforementioned Lord of the Rings. When the next Star Wars movie comes out, I'll proably go and see it. I know for a fact that when this new Shrek movie comes out, my friend and his wife will want to go see it, and they will most likely want me to join them.

That being said, I've had folks over in my own house to watch movies and consistently, they have told me they liked it much better there than at the movie theater, despite that the video is on "only" a 32-inch non-HD TV. When the Return of the King came out, we marathoned the first two Lord of the Rings movies at my house and immediatly went to the theater to see the third. After the movie, my friends told me they thought my system at home sounded much better than the movie theater did!

For most movies, I'll stay home and watch them, but at the same time, it is nice to "get out" and take in a film.

I agree with the AVMAN. Concerts used to be so exciting, but now usually a disappointment. After paying the high price of tickets, it's usually at least a 40 min drive to the nearest venue and then you're fighting people and smoke and shiz. Then when you get home your too damn tired and you can't relive the experience again and again like you can with a dvd.