I have to share this -- it's really kind of funny!

I packed Wolfram's Grounded Grid preamp for shipping tomorrow, and put it by the front door so I don't forget it on my way out early in the morning.

Well. I was upstairs, here on the computer, on this forum, responding to the question about good output tubes for K-horns. Marie called up saying something about 'a package.' I thought she asked me, "Is this wolfram's package?" I yelled, "Yeah!"

I then went downstairs to start getting ready to 'hit the hay,' and Marie comes into the bedroom laughing. She said, "I thought you said we just got this package!? "I opened it up, and pulled out a bubble wrapped preamp!" This is Wolfram's, isn't it?!"

I have just been reinformed that, without a doubt, I need to have my hearing checked. Maybe I do, so don't ever listen to whatever I might say about the sound of an amplifier or preamp. I give up! I'm happy to build kits for others, but will let the owner talk about the way they perceive the sound. I'm honestly not sure if I'm qualified anymore!

Wolfram: Sorry about this, but I have to repack your preamp tomorrow!6.gif

...amazing...ly.....sad. I don't want to have to wear a hearing aid! Maybe I'll design an SET hearing aid amp based on the 45 triode. I'll build it on an aluminum pie pan from Target, make a strap out of a leather belt, and wear the thing on top of my head like some kind of a helmet. What kind of coupling capacitors should I use? and does the color of the wrap around the outside of the capacitor make a difference in the sound? Then there is the PSU problem. Maybe that can be battery power that I carry in a backpack.

Enough.

Erik

Erik,

It's an evolutionary thing. As men age we loose our high frequency hearing so we can shut out SWMBO!1.gif

Unfortunatly, if you've noticed, women's voices deepen as they age.15.gif So we men can hear the four most dreaded words in a marrage: "honey, I've been thinking........"6.gif

Rick

Sometimes it can also be referred to as "selective hearing", so I've been told by others...we hear what we wanna hear. Your situation was different, natch...damn forum is making you lose your concentration.5.gif

Well. I was upstairs, here on the computer, on this forum, responding to the question about good output tubes for K-horns. Marie called up saying something about 'a package.' I thought she asked me, "Is this wolfram's package?" I yelled, "Yeah!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now you got me thinking--the good output tube question for Khorns was mine9.gif

You are on a hiding to nothing if you get your ears checked. If they are bad you will get depressed (and a hearing aid). If they are good - oh boy are you in trouble with SWMBO!!!

Kinda reminded me of an event a few years ago whilst listening to The Wall. I was listening to the system fairly loud - actually very loud - I think I popped the woofer that night on the Heresy driving it with a 200 wpc Rotel.

Anyway I was standing between the speakers checking the balance as Comfortably Numb was playing. The wife was out. Suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder and I spun around to her standing behind me obviously screaming at me to turn it down.....just as the song hit the part "your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying..."

Even SWMBO laughed as I was reaching for the volume control....

ah ...those were the days....now I am lucky if peaks hit 75dB! Still no hearing aids for me in the near future...

I resemble that situation a lot lately.

"Maybe I'll design an SET hearing aid amp based on the 45 triode. I'll build it on an aluminum pie pan from Target, make a strap out of a leather belt, and wear the thing on top of my head like some kind of a helmet."

Can I sign up as a prototype test candidate? 9.gif

I don't want to have to wear a hearing aid! Maybe I'll design an SET hearing aid amp based on the 45 triode. I'll build it on an aluminum pie pan from Target, make a strap out of a leather belt, and wear the thing on top of my head like some kind of a helmet. What kind of coupling capacitors should I use? and does the color of the wrap around the outside of the capacitor make a difference in the sound? Then there is the PSU problem. Maybe that can be battery power that I carry in a backpack.

sign me up.

My brother is three years older than me, and spent years in the USAF working on radar systems, etc. At 57, he wears hearing aids. The constant screech of the equipment, moters to rotate antenna, etc, caused a great loss of hearing for him. I still catch the 15khz from the monitor on the pc every once in awhile. I'll be 55 next month. I don't think I'll get mine checked yet. I never did listen to music at very high volumes, but many things contribute to the oss.

My wife has trouble hearing/understanding conversations unless she is looking directly at someone while they are talking. She has a hole in one eardrum, from an injury years ago. Her response is okay, but much lower in the one ear.

Marvel