quick question

Tweek

do the Klipschorns HAVE to be placed in the corner of a room?

i was looking at the specs of the klipschorns and they say they only go upto 17khz, correct me if i'm wrong but isnt that bad?

are they still sold as a new item? or do i have to go eBay hunting for a pair?

The first ones you get a hold of.

Well, what I`m saying here is I don`t think Klipsch made a bad speaker. I guess you could have a bad room for one speaker compared to another but really it`s hard to go wrong with any from what I have read on this board.

Do a search on the Heritage line(favorite among most here)and decide what is right for you and your system. Solid state or tubes, Klipsch sound fine IMHO.

Scan ebay to get an idea of what is out there. Good luck.

Yeah, kinda like a new Corvette only going to 165 while a new Porsche C3 will go to 202. Or some such numbers, not going to look em up right now, but I think you get the point. Doubtful you'd hear anything over 17K, even if it is in the program material, though I'm sure there are individuals that do. Get a $20 hearing test done and find out what your personal threshhold is for high frequencies and use that in your considerations of speakers. And yes, the Khorns are specifically designed to be used on a 90 degree corner, though users have had good results by constructing false corners for them. Do a search on false corners, sure there are lots of threads on it.

----------------

On 5/22/2004 4:49:39 PM Tweek wrote:

do the Klipschorns HAVE to be placed in the corner of a room?

i was looking at the specs of the klipschorns and they say they only go upto 17khz, correct me if i'm wrong but isnt that bad?

are they still sold as a new item? or do i have to go eBay hunting for a pair?

----------------

Klipschorns don't have to be put in corners but they produce the most bass there and if you didn't put them in corners you might need a sub. You can buy them new I think they are about 6000 to 8000. If you can hear over 17kHz then you would think that is bad but for most people that are old enough to afford them they don't need to go past 15kHz

----------------

On 5/22/2004 5:04:36 PM Tweek wrote:

classic rock, like Rush, Queen, Pink Floyd, and so on, would they sound nice on the Klipschorns?

----------------

Only if you like sitting in the front rows at a live concert!3.gif

Rick

Tweek, really, buy a pair off of Ebay or Audiogon. You'll save thousands. Buy a pair within driving distance (< 750 miles) and pick them up with a rented/borrowed minivan, seats removed.

Some really good rock n roll speakers are the KG4's, Fortes or Chorus's ... Check those out on Ebay too. They kick serious butt and don't need the corners the K'horns require. The passive radiator really does a nice job digging out those lower frequencies.

_______________________________[br>

Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

If you can afford them, Klipschorns are the holy grail unless you are willing to get into the multi-$10,000 leagues. Retail on a new pair of Khorns these days is around $7500. I have a pair of 2003's that I got new for $6500.

At the age of 63 I probably don't hear much above 13,000 hz if that much. But I can still really hear the differences between speakers, don't ask me why physiologically.

The Khorns, in general, are the best speakers I have ever heard, on all sorts of music ranging from classical to hard rock.

They do need good corners. They are quite amplifier sensitive. They show up EVERY difference in the quality of the input material. They will bloom in the bass with some amps, sound shy on others. My Khorns do seem to want some bass boost at the amp or via an equalizer in order really to bloom. Alternatively, use them with a (very good) subwoofer.

Having tried both, I am agnostic on the tube- versus solid state amp debate with Khorns.

And if you want LOUD, the Klipschorns are ready to oblige. That is to say, loud without distortion. If all you've heard is loud at a "live" rock concert with megawatts going to speakers filling an auditorium or stadium with beleaguered cones stretching to their limits, the same dbl levels in a home setting with the Khorns barely breaking a sweat will be a revelation.