DTS problem with Yamaha RX-V3300

J.4knee

I have an odd problem with my Yamaha RX-V3300. When I play DTS CD's I get an aperiodic "skip" in sound. It has also happened when I played movies via my Digital cable box on a few occasions. It almost sounds like the DTS Decoder is being overdriven or cannot sample fast enough and I get a fraction of a second of a "skip" in sound. Although I believe the DTS decoder in the DVD player handles the decoding on these discs. But since it has happened with a second source input I am a little perplexed where the source of the problem is. I know the obvious answer is to take it in and have it looked at. Its still under warranty but I hate to remove the thing and be without it. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Hi, are you using the optical or digital coax connections?

Does your CDP have any anolog output RCA jacks? - Try those.

I remember a thread from a while ago, that mentioned similar symptoms but I didn't follow it, and I can't locate it. Bad/damaged cable?

That's all I got.

Hi, are you using the optical or digital coax connections?

Both This symptom has occurred using two separate sources. MY cable box uses Coaxial Digital cable and the DVD player uses the optical cable. I have not noticed the problem playing DVD's just DTS CD's and a couple of times when DTS signal is provided from my cable box.

Does your CDP have any analog output RCA jacks? - Try those.

I use the RCA for standard CD's played using my DVD player with no problems. The problem occurs when I play DTS encoded CDs primarily.

I remember a thread from a while ago, that mentioned similar symptoms but I didn't follow it, and I can't locate it. Bad/damaged cable?

I'd be suspect of the optical cable. Try it in another of the reciever's input jacks, or another cable all together if you have a couple o' bucks to spare. Also get some clean canned air to blow any contaminants off the ends and recepticles. It's still better than no tunes for weeks.

I wish I could find that older thread - Anybody?

At first blush I would tend to think the problem lies with

the source not the reciever. I think most people will admit

occasional skips in the sound and video. I seen both on DVD

through the playes and sound through the Sat/Cable source.

I had a DTS problem with my Yamaha 2095. When attempting to play DTS, the sound would have a high pitched chirping. I replaced cables, both coax and fiber, but that didn't help. Ended up taking it back to Sound Advice and getting a replacement. Hooked up the new receiver and the problem was gone.

I tend to agree with the source as being the likely culprit.

I have the same problem from the cable box even with NO decoding.

The DVD could simply have a piece of dust on it. If the problem occurs in the same exact place when replayed, the issue could be the decoder or it could be the DVD itself.

Hard to say at this point.

DM

J.4Knee, one question off the topic; are you saying you receive

DTS signal (not Dolby Digital) through your cable company?

I have never heard of DTS signal being sent throught cable or

satilite. Second, in your post you state that the DTS decoding is

done through your player. Unless your player has a internal decoder

and you connect the DVD player to your 6.1 inputs on your Receiver

your receivers DD/DTS decoder will not be used.

OK I swapped the optical cable and that had no affect. Its either the Receiver or the DVD player I am leaning towards the DVD unit but I'll have to remove it and take it back to Good Guys to see if the problem follows it in their floor set up. Its a cheapo combo unit so I would not be surprised if it is the DVD player.

it may seems silly but you should try several dvd.dvd can have scratch on them or can be dirty.

be sure the lens of your dvd player is clean.

i had a problem like this with my dvd player, it cane from the lens wich was dirty and old dvd with some scratch have skips on the soundtrack.

OK I have tried several DVD's, I don't know if I indicated this before but the standard run of the mill movie type Surround Sound DD or DTS encoded DVD does not cause the problem it only occurs on DTS CD's and on a very rare instances when DD is broadcast via my digital cable box but it does not always happen when the multi-channel formats via the cable box are in play. I have played a number of different DTS CDs and it always happens when I play them. The player is nearly brand new and the lens is clean and the discs are not even minutely scratched.

• 2 months later...
  • 16 years later...

I am watching football threw Hulu plus I’m using an optical cable from the tv to the amp but no sound comes out when I put it on DTS MODE ON THE Yamaha amplifier and no sound comes out but when I switch it to PCM pro logic II it works fine. Why can’t I get DTS to play when I switch in on my amplifier