Anybody tried this wire?

----------------

On 5/25/2004 7:23:57 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

I never said that cables would not make a difference. "Difference" does not always translate to "better", that is all. I would love to hear a comparision in a situation sometime to see if I trusted my ears to affirm the perception of a significant difference.

In my own system there simply is too much wire involved with the three amplifiers etc. A number 12 high quality braided copper works fine and I got a good deal on a quantity of it so I use it for everything. Making good connections is a big part of it, this is common sense.

Furthermore, I trust my own competence with wiring so the idea of using some kind of audiophile AC cable and plugs really goes over the top in my mind, yet I have heard the same arguments about this wire as well. I do believe in line conditioning and surge protection.

I have too many other elements to adjust and tweak prior to a major involvement in speaker wire differences. It would make more sense to "roll" source media to me. That is to say, if the music didn't sound good, then buy a better quality pressing of the vinyl of the same recording. This is why some people are not happy unless they have rare early pressings which can cost alot. Even then those pressings vary and one could keep searching for a better sounding one. If I were not so involved in the music end, and only played one type of CD, maybe I might arrive at the point where the speaker cables would be something to play with, especially if it were simply a single amp system and the distance to the speakers was reasonable.

Then there is also the matter of not understanding the physics of speaker wire difference. If I truly thought this was an area that was well understood maybe I could get my brain around it. I like mdeneen's idea: he said he could make a box with some switches that would give the same variety of differences you hear by changing the speaker wire. I think it would be cheaper and a whole lot easier than changing the wires.

It was a major installation getting all those wires to all my speakers, I do not want to crawl around behind those things anymore if I can help it.

Anyone perfecting a "wireless" system?

C&S

----------------

Well that's all fine and dandy, and I have absolutely no problem with that what so ever. But for people to come on here (not saying you) and tell everyone that there is no reason to upgrade cables because it's useless is just plain stupid.

Yes, I've changed IC and speaker cables before and not notice a change in sound, however I've also had/have cables that do make a difference. And if you shop around and do a little research, you don't have to spend alot of money. Total cable upgrades for both my 2-channel and HT system comes to about $400. That includes 8 pairs of MagWires, 4 pairs of speaker cables, and 1 power cable. Remember, that's for two complete systems. If you ask me, that's not a huge price to pay for better cables.

This certainly isn't something to argue about though. Maybe there are people out there that think it's stupid to overhaul a brand new preamp or amp with new RCAs, caps, binding posts, resistors, etc.... or even switching out the tubes without even listening to it first. Same thing goes with upgrading crossovers.

It's all about hi-fi, the love of music, and trying to recreate musical performances in your listening room the best you can to the original. All of it is tweaking, some of them work, some don't, some make huge changes, some don't, some are real, some are not.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not into cable games either, but last week I changed from some Monster speaker wires to some old Esoteric Audio Micro Reference Pure Links wire and it was like I had taken off a sheet of paper from the front of the speakers. The difference was dramatic, even to me. I now believe some of this stuff has merit.

----------------

On 5/25/2004 9:08:11 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I am not into cable games either, but last week I changed from some Monster speaker wires to some old Esoteric Audio Micro Reference Pure Links wire and it was like I had taken off a sheet of paper from the front of the speakers. The difference was dramatic, even to me. I now believe some of this stuff has merit.

----------------

Thank you Klipschfoot. 2.gif

Clearly cables make a difference. However a cables job/purpose/function in life is NOT to alter the music. Its purpose is to transmit the exact signal it receives at the amplifier to the speaker terminal. If the cable has the necessary and appropriate electrical properties and can be had for 10 cents a foot, it is remarkably foolish to pay someone $25 a foot because their cable was made in a Roman Tub with 5 silicon-enhanced bimbos who slowly stroked it to a masterful sheen.

IF you need to get a cable that colors the sound until you are satisfied with your system, your system is not satisfactory. I am always astonished someone will buy brand A based on some BS marketing scheme or the feeling it will increase his standing in the community AND then must play with esoteric cables until he can get Brand A to actually sound worthwhile. Don't stop there though - those speakers cable work MUCH, MUCH better when you purchase an electrical cable capable of passing 20000 volts or more - never mind your house only feeds it 117.

A properly selected and matched system that does its job will not be improved by buying snake oil wrapped in fancy packaging. Anyone know what the federal government and audiophiles have in common? It is of course (or is supposed to be but that would be political) a free market and as such, companies need and should be free to seek consumers who will purchase products which provide incredible gross margins, support higher executive salaries, and allow big business to fund other less profitable ventures which do provide value.

Disclaimer: This is not targeted at any specific individual, it is merely my opinion on the matter and I am speaking in general terms; hopefully opinions can still be offered without someone taking offense or being censored/reprimanded.

You " wire " pullers make me laugh . Non of you really have a clue as to the proper breakin procedure but profess your golden ears are acute to the sonic differences of these above mentioned blends of simple OFC " copper " .

PROPER BREAK-IN PROCEDURE FOR INTER-CONNECTS OR SPEAKER CABLE.

1) INTER-CONNECTS - 7 tight wraps around the handle of a domestic hair drier.

2) SPEAKER CABLES - 10 tight wraps ( min ) around the handle of a domestic hair drier.

" step 2 "

1) Fill bath tub 3/4 full of room tempature water.

2) find extention cord long enough to reach bathtub

3) plug-in above mentioned hair drier with inter-connect or speaker wire windings.

4) remove all clothing

5) while holding hair drier in right hand enter the above mentioned bath tub

6) sit down .

7) turn on hair drier

8) submerge hair drier .

This will effectivly temper your new cables !!!

Your " golden ears " are now ready to experiance your new cables .

----------------

On 5/25/2004 10:21:55 PM DALE WALKER wrote:

----------------

Dale, keep your day job.

But regarding cables, as I said, I formerly scoffed at such claims until I accidently heard it for myself. My conclusion is that Monster is making a lot of money for good marketing. I had some interesting looking wire (the term "inteconnects" is for salesman and audio snobs) in a bag of miscellaneous speaker wire from who-knows-where and tried it on a whim. I would assume that what I found was possibly that lamp cord may even be better than Monster. But I don't take the time for exhaustive A/B tests very often. Maybe on a down day. I just checked the Monster cable for its labeling. Are you ready for this? Monster XP Compact Precision Stranded Ultra High Resolution Speaker Cable. Can you hear them laughing in the boardroom at Monster?

Now if you own this cable BECAUSE of the labeling, I highly recommend that you break it in just like the instructions explain above. Then, if you survive, look in your wallet, remove $50, buy your wife some flowers and go re-examine your priorities.

----------------

On 5/25/2004 10:21:55 PM DALE WALKER wrote:

You " wire " pullers make me laugh . Non of you really have a clue as to the proper breakin procedure but profess your golden ears are acute to the sonic differences of these above mentioned blends of simple OFC " copper " .

PROPER BREAK-IN PROCEDURE FOR INTER-CONNECTS OR SPEAKER CABLE.

1) INTER-CONNECTS - 7 tight wraps around the handle of a domestic hair drier.

2) SPEAKER CABLES - 10 tight wraps ( min ) around the handle of a domestic hair drier.

" step 2 "

1) Fill bath tub 3/4 full of room tempature water.

2) find extention cord long enough to reach bathtub

3) plug-in above mentioned hair drier with inter-connect or speaker wire windings.

4) remove all clothing

5) while holding hair drier in right hand enter the above mentioned bath tub

6) sit down .

7) turn on hair drier

8) submerge hair drier .

This will effectivly temper your new cables !!!

Your " golden ears " are now ready to experiance your new cables .

----------------

The hell with it. I'm sick of dealing with asses like this!!!!!!!

Chops,

Relax a bit will ya there buddy...you are rising to the bait and the teasing is merciless around here.

You know cables make a difference. I know cables make a difference, but there are a great many non-believers out there - it happens...

Look at it this way - I am not bothered in the least by what is written here - and I spent more than you did on your whole system cabling on a single pair of speaker cables - that I no longer even like that much!!!

----------------

On 5/25/2004 6:01:22 PM Dflip wrote:

Do these guys play "Dueling Banjos" while installing these virgin copper cables? It sounds a little to like Deliverence to me.

----------------

I use them, and my Klipschorns squeal like a pig...

CHOPS : Cool your jets there newbie , it was a joke .

Some of you freaks that have little clue whats happened here in the past should do some searchs before offering opinions such as you have. If you would have bothered not taking the easy road and searched the forums past on this topic you would have found out that " I'M " !!!!! one of idiots that have spent more on cables than 80% of you guys have invested in your entire rigs , including your speakers .

But so what !! i can afford it . So if some saleman happen to make a few bucks on me then so be it , i've got more cables to A/B test then 10 of you guys put together. Yes i do have a pair of 12' speaker cables the size of your wrist and yes i did pay $2200.00 for the pair and yes they worked great before i had klipsch and was useing 4ohm speakers and 600 wpc of SS .Maybe a waste with klipsch and tubes but " HEY " they were never designed for that .

Not everything in cable land was designed around sensitive klipsch speakers and flea powered SET amps . Everything has it's place and theres a place for everything. You guy's start making generalizations on the cable topic and someone is sure to take your opinion the wrong way . Relax and laugh every once and awhile , you'll live longer .2.gif

BTW : I much prefure you get to know me before calling me an *** , then at least you'll be correct in your "***"umsion .

Cable, schmable. It is all BS. The human condition is such we are always wanting to buy something to make our systems better. I say go for it; you certainly can't take your ill-spent dollars with you. Perhaps save a third-world country by resisting a few cable purchases but who cares about humanitarian concerns.

I thought about it last night while looking at all my Klipsch speakers - straight out of college and on a 'new' salary, I had to have a set of KG4's because Klipsch ruled. With nothing particularly missing from the experience, once I had much more money, I needed Heresies and KSP400's. I suppose if I doubled my salary I would need another speaker upgrade (course I am already looking for KHorns) wouldn't find a Klipsch model left to purchase at that salary level and then would have to dump money into cables simply to empty my pockets.

Read some sarcasm into this and don't allow yourself to be offended by peons who make less than you and choose to spend their disposable income on strippers rather than cables. As I just read in the paper, alas, some of us might not be politically correct, some of us may take it over the top, some might get rather personal - but, hell, it is all good theater.

better to stuff your money into these strippers

C&S

PS: why is there never a thread discussing the physics of the supposed differences in cables? We need to interview some electrons.

Seriously, I would buy the "Juicy-Orange-Crate-Cable-Box" which has a selector switch on it offering the virtual characteristics of 4 dozen of the best cables money can buy. The box is $39.95 including shipping and well worth it. It gives you more cables than you could ever afford to purchase. If you want the option you can also order the more expensive Juicy Durian Cables with easy terms for payment over a 5 year term, however you might have to get this past the WAF.

(sorry Mark, couldn't resist.....)

C&S

(prices subject to change)

To those who think cables (beyond just plain ol' good quality materials & construction appropriate for the application) makes such a bigh difference, challenge yourself to a test of objectivity.

The Klipsch Indy Tour, I'm sure will repeat the opportunity at this years meeting.

Or buy (or rent) your own A/B/X 'comparitor' which will record your subjective decisions. You get to blindly select both the "reference", and the cable to compare it to.

It's a rude awakening. Of course, some people aren't intellectually strong enough to withstand having their faith challanged.