Adcom or Rotel

big c

Does any one have any experience with these two brands and how they preform and compare with the klipsch reference series. Looking at the adcom 7605 125x5 and the rotel rmb 1075 120x5, both amps retail for $1000.00. Which one would you recommend?

Check out audioreview.com. And look up both models. You will see what their all about. But it would be nice to know how they run with klipsch. You can kind of get an idea if you look for key words in the reviews. Like warm and smooth, never fatiguing ext. You just need to know how to interpret what's being said. Because alot are newbies claming to be audiophiles.

I can only address the Rotel, no experience with Adcom. The Rotel is quiet and delivers very clean sound - a very good match with Klipsch. A mid-high end dealer in my home town (small shop that's been in business for 30+ years and I respect greatly), suggested the combination. After listening to several set ups, I liked the Rotel and went with that. I've been extremely very happy with the Rotel / Klipsch combo.

if you go retel make sure that you are buying from a dealor with good customer support, although i really did enjoy my rotel gear i ran through 13 different pieces before i finally gave up, the 1075 i replaced 3 times alone, it seems to me that since they shipped thier manufacturing to china (i believe) rotels reliability has suffered, rotel knows it also, after almost a year of trial and malfunctions they refunded every penny12.gif

You really need to listen to both. I'm using adcom, and I really like the sound with my Rf7s. But there are others that feel they are bright with horns, so it depends on your ears. I like the sound of live (rock/rock accoustic concerts/music, techno, even 80's synth...(I've never been to a live concert that I would describe as warm). Listen to both before spending your money. I don't like Jazz or brass horns, which others have said sound very bright with adcom, so if this is your taste you might not like its sound. If I can imagine anything needing to be warm, this would be it.

I have owned Adcom w/Klipsch Chorus (mains),Academy (center), Heresy II Surround. I must say that I thought the system sounded really good. My dealer recommended ADCOM since the Klipsch needs very little power to perform well. I believed him for a long time, until I tried a 425 watt amp (Sunfire). Now I realize there was a lot I was missing. The ADCOM seemed to be very harsh in the upper bands and was missing a strong bottom end.

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges now, but I must say I can't compliment ADCOM totally, I must say that the prologic unit that I have did not seem to separate the channels as well as the new unit does. Could be the age of the equipment though.

Having recently made the plunge into separates, I wholeheartedly agree with that. However, be advised that you probably will not notice that dramatic of a difference in sound quality until you also upgrade your pre/pro. However, separate amplification is a plus.

As you can see from my equipment, I am partial to Rotel amps and would suggest the same. In addition to being a good Klipsch match, I also love their massive cooling fins. Both of my Rotels are always just slightly warm to the touch, even when running them at high volumes for long periods of time. That can be a real plus.

Carl.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both Adcom pre amp 555-2 Adcom 565 mono blocks and rotel rsp 980 and rb985mark2 or 4amp ,havent ran over and looked, but I can tell you this, the Adcom stuff will not go into thermo protection when I drive my Paradigm studio 100s and the Rotel will, plus it sound a hole lot better definetly look at the Adcom... unless your interested in my Rotel stuff??? 2.gif

Yes I had the Adcom 555 power amp and Rotel's 200W/ch job,the Rotel was a more refined amp.Adcom apeared to be better suited to drive smooth sounding speakers.The Rotel was happy even with more edgy speakers like Klipsch.

For Klipsch,JBL the choice is clear to me ROTEL.

For speakers like Mission,Spendor,Monitor Audio Silver series the Adcom is a better match.

And even then some will prefer the Rotel for its smoother sound.

For a better version of the Adcom sound take a look at ATI and Outlaw amps.