Speakers for new system : SF-1 vs. RF-3

Bob Leroux

I have a new Sony STR-DE845 and need to purchase a complete set of surround speakers to go along with it. For approximately the same money, I could go with Synergy SF-1s, an SC-1, SS-1s and a KSW-10, or, Reference RF-3s, an RC-3 and a KSW-10 and use my present Dynaco A25s for the rear surround speakers. Although the A25s are old, they still sound great and would look better than the SS-1s mounted on the walls.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

If it was me, I would purchase the Reference series without a doubt. I think in the future you'd want to upgrade the rears to the RS-3's but that's better than wanting to upgrade all of your speakers. Your surrounds might not be a perfect tonal balance with your mains, but it will not be as noticable as it would be if your center didn't match. I just think that the Reference series is a far better speaker. Also you might want to listen to the KSW-10 vs the KSW-12, for the price difference I thought there was a large performance difference.

Bob:

The best thing would be if you could demo the Synergy's and then the References with your Dynaco's in your home. Usually, you'd be better off going with the Synergy system because you would have 2 benefits. First, the timbre of the surrounds would match the fronts and second, you would get the ambience in the rear for HT that your Dynaco's wouldn't give you. The SS-1's would give you that ambience.

I'd have to agree with Erik--go demo the series for yourself. Take several CD's and spend some real time with them. Get to know them!

If your going to listen to music I greatly recommend this, if your strictly a HT enthusiast the synergy line may suit you just fine. I have the synergy line and feel an upgrade coming on. I have the KSW 10, as such also recommend the 12.

Point being, after you get used to something you become able to discern the subtle nuances that make or break the system for you. These speakers are going to last a long time so make the best earformed decision now and be happy!

I must say that I hardly ever disagree with "The Man From Klipsch", but I would buy the RF's and RC-3 with a KSW-12 (instead of KSW-10). Phil, you should know better than most that the Klipsch addiction is a disease. If Bob buys the Ref speakers he will eventually do whatever it takes to acquire a set of matching RS-3's. He will then be a Klipsch junkie who will be pawning family heirlooms at "Jake's Pawn and Loan" so that he can get his fix. It is much like any other addiction, all you need is a little taste and some appreciation of the product and you are hooked. I have a friend who had a Sony mini-system for his main entertainment system. One viewing of Matrix ala Klipsch / HK and he spent a couple thousand bucks at the local store. Now six months later he is wondering how he is going to get his speakers back to Ohio for a one year trade up. He just moved to Dallas and this is his biggest concern. I told him to buy Klipsch, but the sales person steered him into a set of Paradigm's. I tried to explain my theory of first time home audio purchasing without buyer's remorse, but he did not listen. The theory is: find a price range that is a little more than you really want to spend and then double it. This should be good for a few years.

A little note, this disease can be accelerated if two things are missing from your life: 1) a mortgage and 2) a wife.

Bob, go for it. I also do not think the RS-3 are in jepordy of being dicontinued because Klipsch is adding to the Ref line in May. That should buy you some time to come up with the extra money to add the RS-3's later on.

Another note, if you do not want wall mounted surrounds go for some RB-5's or another set of RF-3's. Remeber it is only money.

Happy listening and enjoy!

JT

I'd agree with decibal man in that I wouldn't hold back on the mains just to match the surrounds.

As an EXTREME example, I know someone who bought an entire little bose bookshelf system (not the cubes, though) just because he already had a $75 bose center channel. That's the ONLY reason. He wanted them to match his center. Don't be like him!

Charlie

Thanks for all the input.

Last night I went out and bought the speakers that I am sure will provide us with listening pleasure for quite a while. The system now consists of my Sony STE-DE845 powering Reference RF-3s for the front, an RC-3 center chanel, my old Dynaco A25s for the rear surrounds and a new subwoofer. The KSW-12 was clearly a step or two above the KSW-10, however, the store also had Velodynes! There was definitely a significant difference and after listening and comparing I couldn't resist the 12 inch CT-120; a few dollars more but "bassically" worth it.

The Dynaco A25s were purchased in 1973 and I think that my new Klipsch Reference RF-3s are at least twice as good. On that basis my new speakers should last until 2057!!!

Keep checking this site and I will let you know how it works out.

Happy listening

Bob

okay, good, you took our advice,

what people are not saying is that great music systems make great home theater systems, sometimes even if they have only two channels, but a good HT set-up doesn't ofetn make a great stereo system,

what many of us hope for is that if we patiently assemble a great HT, that some day we will have the media to create great 5/6 channel sound systems too!

Bob, let us know how those A25's match up. I am curious. You will probably have to turn the rear volumes way up because of effieciency issues. I can't blame you on the velo they also make a pretty good sub. I got lucky enough to get a LF-10 for under $500 from UBid, so I am happy and 100% Klipsch on the main system.

Happy listening and enjoy!!!

JT