La Scala Vs. Klipschorn

Tweek

On 4/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, RandyH said:

The AK6  , and AK5 have enclosed backs khorns , that no  longer need proper corners as that allows for toe in  -any khorn can be converted to have enclosed backs -

- one could always place a non enclosed back  khorn  anywhere in the room using  false corners  -

- enclosed backs khorns can also be placed  in corners 

This is not true regardless of open or closed backs the Klipschorn still needs a solid corner with ~ 4ft on either side of it to perform to listed specifications.  That will never change and is listed right in the documentation.  Don't believe still ask Trey Cannon and he will confirm it for you.

Many years ago I originally purchased La Scalas. It didn’t take very long to trade them in for Klipschorns. No comparison. I’ve been running them steadily in my main system for close to 50 years now and with my recent upgrade in driving electronics they perform substantially better than I ever hoped they could. Truly a “Lifelong” speaker system. So happy that I made that original choice so many years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

This is not true regardless of open or closed backs the Klipschorn still needs a solid corner

you're right , @Frzninvt , if  you got corners , use them by all means -now , Jubes with  enclosed backs do not require  corners  , why would  khorns be any different .

I will quote  klipsch    " never-before-seen feature  eliminates corner fit  "

http://images.klipsch.com/a60thKhornBrochure_635042120283920000.pdf

anytime someone says... 'requires' or 'needs' to be in the corner i just have to roll my eyes...

The owners preference may be for the boundary layer reinforcement... or it may not.

if you are searching for every last Hertz you can squeeze out of a mechanical device, then maybe a Corner is for you.

OR

You could build wings and take that device out of the corners and placement wherever you want

OR

Perhaps you could add a Subwoofer to fill in ANY losses experienced by displacing of the device from a boundary layer... there are many choices.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read....

I owned 4 sets la scalas and 2 sets Khorns over a 30 year life span.

Khorns can not be compared to La Scala's, each having their own ( dis) advantages....

But my ecperience is that only Khorns grab you like a life performance can.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:58 PM, RandyH said:

you're right , @Frzninvt , if  you got corners , use them by all means -now , Jubes with  enclosed backs do not require  corners  , why would  khorns be any different .

I will quote  klipsch    " never-before-seen feature  eliminates corner fit  "

http://images.klipsch.com/a60thKhornBrochure_635042120283920000.pdf

My understanding on the Jubilee is, if you want it to keep and maintain it's lowest output, it needs to be "within 10 inches" of a corner (if I recall correctly)  I am not an expert, but I seem to recall that being Roy's comment.

If you pull it out more, you will lose some bottom end extension.  That wiggle room though, allows you to bring it out a bit from the corner to get better aiming if needed.

Just now, KT88 said:

Possible that you confuse Underground Jubs with the new model?

Corners dont hurt ,  if you got corners   ,  use them by all means , but if you dont , no worries  .

Jubilee News - Klipsch Pro Audio - The Klipsch Audio Community

Klipsch Jubilee Speakers For Sale Shop, 60% OFF | www.simbolics.cat

Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions. - Page 3 - Klipsch  Pro Audio - The Klipsch Audio Community

Klipsch Jubilee

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 6:48 AM, tragusa3 said:

This has been my choice for the last 12 years.  They are on risers because my listening seats are also on risers.  The large black boxes between are Danley DTS10 horn loaded subs.  I imagine it will look just like this the day my kids come to sell off our estate.  The dynamics for movies are off the charts.  If it was very convenient for me to audition Khorns in the L/R locations, I suppose I would.  But considering I have these front 3 for $2k, it would be hard to convince me of any value in spending more.

image.jpeg.a22bbb3d7dcd163f2bd5a234839a9e46.jpeg

The day has come to see this post of mine come to fruition.  After years of keeping my eyes on the internet, the right Khorn deal for me, came along.  My left and right LaScalas have been replaced with a pair of '75 Khorns in nice but not perfect condition. 

I will repeat much of what's been said.  I use them crossed over to a pair of subs and even so, notice many changes from the LaScalas.  I'm currently running the K's with a crossover down at 30hz.  My overall sound seems improved in the mid bass area, which you would expect.  

The room feels more "loaded" with sound.  Not just in low frequencies, but across the range.

Specific instruments and detail are improved.

I enjoy them more at lower volumes.

Clarity is improved.

Imaging is improved.  The sound-field has more depth.  I got up twice the first day to make sure my surrounds were not on.  I also had to make sure my sub wasn't on.

My expectations were low, as we love the LaScalas so much.  With the same drivers, I assumed bass would be the only improvement.  In the first minute of listening I knew I had made a good decision and most importantly, my wife smiled right away.  It was a worthy change.  

front reduced.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/2/2022 at 8:49 AM, tragusa3 said:

My expectations were low, as we love the LaScalas so much.  With the same drivers, I assumed bass would be the only improvement.  In the first minute of listening I knew I had made a good decision and most importantly, my wife smiled right away.  It was a worthy change.  

looks like  both the khorn and the LS share the AA  network  ,  swap the crossovers  from the khorn into the LS , this will tell you  whether the capacitors in the LS  crossovers  are ok 

15 minutes ago, tragusa3 said:

They do have the same crossovers.  I had recapped the LaScalas about 10 years ago with the kit from Crites.  I don't think the LaScala suffered from old caps.  The one's in these Khorns are oil filled, but were replaced...best I can tell, about 2005.

It could be interesting to swap the crossovers just to know.

Thanks.

That would be very interesting indeed. Because the oiled filled capacitors of your Khorn Xover might have different properties than the sonicaps of your LaScala crossover. I bet the LaScala sounds different with the Khorn's Xover. But the question remains, which caps exactly are in the Khorn? Are they newer motor run caps with a polypropylene dielectric or are they paper-oil caps?

3 hours ago, tragusa3 said:

They do have the same crossovers.  I had recapped the LaScalas about 10 years ago with the kit from Crites. 

these 2 posts are the Best Advice for   upgrading your older  klipsch networks .

Chief bonehead

• Klipsch Employees

It’s pretty simple and it’s not very complicated.  It’s just not “Roy” endorsing JEM, it Klipsch.  And for the umpteen time, crites and alk or anyone else and the products they sell, are not Klipsch approved. 

Most people who modify a part on their network have no idea how it might affect the overall voltage transfer, which affects the spectral balance of the speaker. But it’s your speaker....do what you want. If you want the original intent, then replace with original specified parts. 

--------------

mark1101

• mark1101Klipsch Fanatic
  • Heritage Members

Several months ago I replaced the ALK networks I had in my lascalas with the original AA networks and recapped the originals with the Klipsch approved JEM caps.  I can say this was a very good change for me and my lascalas sound like they used to again.  Hard to describe, but just right.  I recommend giving this a try if you want to have the original factory sound.

I liked the change so much that I just did the same thing to my cornwalls about a month ago.  I removed the ALK networks and installed the original Type B networks and recapped them with a JEM cap replacement kit.  It's not been very long but I could tell right away the balance was back and it's nice to know they are back to the original factory spec.

These were easy changes as well as the kits come with a schematic and all the mounting hardware.

This was a good idea for Klipsch to take the time to figure this out and offer these kits.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 5/5/2022 at 7:16 AM, Frzninvt said:

This is not true regardless of open or closed backs the Klipschorn still needs a solid corner with ~ 4ft on either side of it to perform to listed specifications.  That will never change and is listed right in the documentation.  Don't believe still ask Trey Cannon and he will confirm it for you.

They have to be in close proximity to a corner. Not in a corner. 

• Like 1