La Scala Vs. Klipschorn

Tweek

Hey guy's don't be to harsh on the old lascala !!

I've got 4 klipschorns ( each pair in a seperate room ) plus a pair of 1987 lascala's . I use to have them sitting on 18" tall stands in the corners angle towards the center of a 18x18 room . In the seated position with the base bin elevated a bit , they kick some serious butt !!!

But " HEY " i'm a die hard monster SS guy so what the hell do i know 9.gif . Matter of fact i probably should be posting in the home theater threads and not 2 channel . lol 11.gif

Tweek,

I had a hard time imagining that Khorns could be better than LaScalas. The only difference is the construction of the folded horn and the height of the HF section. I was actually shocked that they sounded as much better as they do, but the Khorns have a "bigger" sound.

I'd been running Scalas with a nice sub and hadn't expected to hear any significant difference. Obviously, the Khorns have a larger bass horn which uses the walls as the last segment of the horn, so it would seem that the sub would compensate for that and even offer some bass lower than the Khorns. The only way I can understand what happens with the improved sound of the Khorns, is that the Khorn bass bin loads the whole room with sound. Also, since the Khorn is "V" shaped to back into the corner, it places the K400 and K77 back in the corner closer than the LaScala can because of it's rectantangular cabinet. So that "loading the whole room" thought seems to explain the perceived improvement in HF sound on a Khorn over LaScala.

One nice thing about the Khorns is that they are tucked away in the corners. They are big, but also can be (visually) more out of the way than Scalas.

i want to either get the Scalas or K-Horns for a 2 channel setup for music (not rap or basshead music), no subwoofer, what would you recommend

a good 75w x 2 amplifier would be enough to power either?

or should i look for something 95-100w

Tweek,

If you have the right corners, I'd go for the Klispch Horns - A slam Dunk.

Now since these guys are 104db. If you really want them to sing, you need to look at a pair of SET Monoblocks. 2A3 or 45 amps would be my recommendation.

The 2A3s - will be an astounding 3.5 watts per channel!

The 45s - will be a massive 1.8 watts per channel!

what do you guys think of running a transistor powered 70w 2 x Rotel stereo amp with the Scalas or K-Horns?

edit:

The 2A3s - will be an astounding 3.5 watts per channel!

really? only 7 watts is enough for the k horns?

how much are thoes?

i want to beable to when i can crank thoes babies and let them fill the house, so i went enough power to do that

Neither Scalas or Khorns require many wpc's to sound fabulous. The flea powered tube amps like 2A3 or 45's come suggested from folks giving the minority report. If you haven't tried out tubes before, any of a number of opportunities exist in new or vintage integrated options. I've got a vintage HK430 (SS) receiver and if it was the only power I used to drive the Khorns, or Heresy's, for that matter, I wouldn't be able to say that life was tough. Those little rascals come across Ebay in the neighborhood of $50.

If you've already got the Rotel, check it out and see how you like it. If it floats your boat then that's a good thing. I hear people speak well of them.

The SS 70 watt amp will work, but will not provide the Magical Music the Khorns are capable of.

$1000 - $1500 will buy a nice pair of SET Monoblocks. May be New or Used!

I Drive my 104db Belles with the 45 amps. - No Problem! Fills the room with beautiful music with 1.8 watts per channel!

The La Scala is a great speaker that offers 90% of what a Khorn can deliver, but with greater flexibility of placement. The La Scala is also more forgiving of room variances.

However, what Daddydee said is absolutely correct. The Khorn is just plain bigger sounding.

I would hesitate to make a flat out recommendation of SET amplification, even with Khorns. I've not been totally satisfied with my 8 watt per channel 300b SET amp. I know there are better quality SET amps, and I'm anxiously awaiting a pair of Horus monoblocs myself, but I still think someone needs to know more what they're getting into with such low power before jumping in.

Not to take anything away from the merits of SET amplifiers, but for me, 1.8 or 4.5 or 8 watts just doesn't kick out the sound enough, and it may not be enough for Tweek either.

I've enjoyed my year long re-introduction to midrange, but I'm itching to get my biamp system up and running with 60 watt Quicksilvers on my Khorn bass bins and once again feel my pant legs move with a kick drum beat.

Greg

With the right room, K horns no question. It is not that they are bass heavy...Rather bass correct.

As for the La Scalas, basically 33 to 53 Hz is a lot of bass your missing in the La Scalas.

Depending on what your looking for/ at too. Not a lot of power needed for either.

Now if your talking Home Theater... You WILL need a sub with either.

I own La Scala's and they are a superb loudspeaker but you are not comparing equals here. A fair comparison would be Belle Klipsch and La Scala. But the Klipschorn is the undisputed king of this world. I can tell you if you are going to run a set of La Scala's with SET amps you will be astounded, flummoxed and befuddled at how great they sound but compared to the Klipschorn they are a smaller sound. I will one day own a set of Klipschorns but untill that day my La Scalas will keep me smiling. If you want big and I mean big sound but dont have the requisite corners the La Scalas will not disappoint you. But if you have the corners and can get the Klipschorns you will be in horn heaven.

Yup-yup-yup: Klipschorns if you have the right room or can accomodate false corners; La Scalas otherwise. But make no mistake, the opinions you are getting about having the "right room" for k-horns is absolute truth. It's more than merely having a couple of corners that the k-horn would fit into. Room geometry also factors strongly into it. The corners need to extend out at the very least three feet, preferably four. Long wall set-ups are almost always best with k-horns. Otherwise, in a typical size room, you won't be able to have the horns snug in the corner. Some folks are getting satisfactory results with the horns toed out a bit, to accomodate short-wall placement. Gotta be losing some bass, though.

Tweek,

I have a pair of LaScalas that I'm considering selling or preferably trading for smaller footprint Klipsch (ie: Chorus, Fortes, KLFs, RFs). I recently moved into a townhouse and I just can't fit the Scalas in my main room and I don't really want to try to drag those beasts upstairs to the master bedroom. I'm in South Florida and can be contacted at david@cineworks.com if you have any interest.

Dave