Klipsch in HT application

mdowns

I am working toward, what I believe to be, good system for HT. The heart will be a Denon AVR-3801 105w X 7ch A/V receiver. I'm looking to buy a pair of "1991" K-horns that will be placed about 14' apart in a 14.5 X 16.5' room. I plan to use mid-80's Heresys as the Surround speakers with KG 1.5 as the Surround Back channels. Does this seem workable or am I going to find vast level differences between speakers?

Not really. The way the windows are built and all lends itself to a screen on the 14' wall with speakers on either side. How would the sound be different 16' apart as opposed to the 14' separation. BTW, this 14' configuration would give corners with 16' straight walls down the right and left side of the K-horns, if that is a benefit. I'm new at this and haven't really grasped the horn, room, wall concept yet. Thanks JMON MD

How far will the main setting be from the Horns?

Mine are 15.5 apart and I'm 11'from the wall they are along.They become to directional that close.When I'm watching a movie and sit about a foot from center of the room the Horn closest to me is a bit louder.I have to sit dead center for music.I don't mind this because I love my K-Horns.

The problem with the width is that they are at a 45 degree angle to the wall and that's the way they image.

Also,what is going to be between them out from the back wall?Some cabinets,a TV?

Click on the little house in the bar above.

It will show you how I got around the problem of my cabinets and TV.It's my HT page,it will load a little slow,be patient.

What the pictures don't show is the In Walls that are not a good match,but work for the back surrounds.They are only 90dB and have trouble keeping up with the front end.I had to set my 3801's levels as follows:-6 front 3,+4 side surrounds and +12 for the IW-150's.

What are you going to use for a center?

mdowns,

Take a look at the "Recent Klipschorn Review" post I recently posted in the "Two Channel" section. They talk a little about minimum room dimensions there. 16' is not much different than 14', but it would be better. Even 16' is on the narrow side, but it could possibly work. There are others on this board, such as Steve P, that have a similar setup. Remember that with Khorns, you can't angle them to fit your seating location, so having them that close together could cause seating problems as Steve P stated.

mdowns,

I think it'll work fine, if you can fit in the room to listen to it. wink.gif That's an awful lot of cabinetry you've got going in there. Have you tried doing something like cutting out sections of newspapers the same size as the cross sections of these various speakers, laying them on the floor, and imagining where you're gonna put the furniture? It might be illuminating, if you haven't...

Are you planning on the KG 1.5 for the surround back because you've got them, or can get them inexpensively, or was there another reason? The only concern here I have is the same one JMON has - there's a really, really big difference between the shear sound output you're going to get from the KHorns as opposed to the 1.5s, and unless that Denon has a VERY broad range of adjustments for the setting relative levels between the main channels and the surround channels, I doubt you'd be able to HEAR the poor little 1.5s.

Final point: DAMN that's gonna be LOUD! biggrin.gif KHorns, Heresy's and KGs with a hunnert watts per channel... jeez. Hope the fillings in your teeth are solid.

How about subwoofers? KHorns don't go much below 30...

Ray

Ray