Best Female Vocalist

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An unanswerable question !

Are you asking about Looks or vocal ability ?

What category are you asking about ?

My Favourites ( in no particular order ):

Jazz

Ella Fitzgerald

Helen Mconnell

Cleo Laine

Dianna Krall

Billy Holliday

Doris Day ( Give her early recordings a serious listen )

Helen Morgan

Norah jones

Classical

Maria Callas

Mirella Freni

Kiri Te Kwana

Liona Boyd ( She don't sing bro but she is absolutely breathtaking in looks and plays guitar in the same league as the best who ever played )

Rock

Janis Joplin

Folk

Joan Baez

Country/Folk

Emmylou Harris

Alison Krauss

Cindy Church

Sylvia Tyson

And many others

There are many female vocalists I admire, some being Natalie Cole, Annie Lennox, Sarah McLaughlin, Debbie Harry, Ella Fitzgerald, Stevie Nicks, Charlotte Church, Norah Jones...

But my vote goes to Sarah Brightman, with her multi-faceted voice. From pop and rock, musical theatre, to opera and classical, few female artists can sing quite like Sarah can, and be convincing at it! Sarah's my vote for Best Female Vocalist IMO!2.gif

lynnm - you are absolutely correct. I wasn't very specific. So thanks for hte great response. I thinking of the female with the most beautiful voice.

I agree with your choice of Sylvia Tyson.

Liona Boyd is an exceptional guitarist. Another great, yet perhaps less known classical guitarist is Antigoni Goni. She does a haunting version of Koyunbaba by Domeniconi that is one of my favorite guitar performances. She plays with emotion every bit as well as Julian Breem or Franco Platino.

----------------

On 5/28/2004 10:18:31 PM tillmbil wrote:

Do not know who she is so I guess my opinion is worthless. I like Dianna Krall myself, oh well what can I say. I am a victom of the current times.

----------------

Lynn Anderson is a country singer that recorded and performed mostly in the 60's and 70's. Her voice is incredible. A couple of her most well know songs would be Rose Garden and I Dont Want to Play House. I really like her rendition of Johnny Cashes Sunday Morning Coming Down.

We are all victim's of current times.

I kind of agree with lynnm. There are juat so many great ones. I suppose if it was your last song and you had to pick somebody to sing it, I would flip a coin.

Heads: Sarah Brightman (I agree with jt1stcav)

Tails: Helen Merrill

Lynnm, did you mean Helen O'Connell? (sang with T Dorsey)If so, she wasn't too bad either.

jt1stcav, please tell me Stevie Nicks was a typo!

Jt:

I was at a Barnes & Noble in Tucson a couple of years ago, and suddenly became aware of a voice that stopped me in my tracks. I went up to that information desk/book order counter they have, and asked what CD they had playing, and it was Sarah Brightman. Like Enya, there is a quality that is arresting for me me, and I bough the CD that evening.

Lynn has mentioned many others I really like, as well.

"The most beautiful female vocalist of all time".....

...Lot's of great singers don't necessarily have "beautiful" voices, IMHO, but my nominations, right off the top of my big, fat head, would be (in no particular order):

Linda Ronstadt

Emmylou Harris (in her prime, before her vocal chords were shot)

Alison Kraus

Trisha Yearwood

Whitney Houston (before Bobby Brown ruined her)

Eva Cassidy (gone too soon15.gif)

Guys! What are you sad sacks of sheeet doing hanging around here on this intoxicating, gorgeous Memorial weekend, when you should be out grilling for your loved ones and guzzling?

Anyway, thanks for keeping me company. Lynn my man you amaze me, great list, add Melissa Etheridge, Natalie Merchant and Delores ORiordan (Cranberries) to the rock side, absolutely Stevie Nicks belongs, so does Joni Mitchell and (ouch!) Rickie Lee Jones. Dont forget Amanda McBroom, who is NOT only still doing her jazz thing but recently released a new album, Dido is infectious also, too soon to tell if she is truly great though, what about Diana Ross and Linda Ronstadt? Bette Midler? Whitney Houston? Certainly, k.d. lang. God, dare I say it? Barbara? You know which one. Is she any good? (I dont know, only saw her movies.) Add Anita Baker, Toni Braxton and Holly Cole: Tracy Chapman, Paula Cole, Cassandra Wilson and Sade.

Other rock nominees are:

1. Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane)

2. Ann Wilson (Heart)

3. Tina Turner

4. Pat Benatar

5. Debbie Harry (Blondie)

6. Mama Cass Elliot (Mamas and Papas)

7. Carly Simon

8. Kate Bush

9. Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders)

10. Carole King

11. Patti Smith

12. Karen Carpenter

13. Tori Amos

14. Joan Jett (Blackhearts)

15. Dusty Springfield

16. Alanis Morisette

17. Mariah Carey (some like her)

18. Judy Collins

19. Madonna (as a truly great singer?)

20. Sinead O'Connor

21. The other Fleetwood Mac singer, Christine McVie

22. Michelle Phillips (Mamas and Papas)

23. Defiantly Phoebe Snow

24. Janis Ian (singing or whining?)

25. Suzanne Vega

Man, how does one decide? My instinct is to say Sarah McLachlin, because her voice sells herself and she stretches to show off her prodigious talents. But then I asked myself, who would I like to hear do all sorts of other kind of material and the instant answer was Diana Krall.

She has such deliberate and yet delicate phrasing, timing and pronunciation that she makes you hang on every note. She doesnt stretch like McLachlin, keeps her power in reserve and never shows her limits but exhibits sergeant-major control over each syllable. Her, I want to hear do all kinds of material. Bring it on Elvis Costello. Lets see what you two can do. I look forward to decades of sweet or bitter collaboration.

3.gif

----------------

On 5/29/2004 9:44:40 AM Rdmarsiii wrote:

No ones mentioned Celine Dion...

----------------

Not to familur with Celine Dions newer stuff, but I have one of her early French recordings, Dion Chante Plamondon. Its very good. She has a wonderful voice on it.

On 5/29/2004 4:47:45 AM neo33 wrote:

"Nancy Sinatra!"

----------------

She could only sing when whe wore the white boots though!

Allan,

Did you get to see Helen Merrill last night? If so, how was she? I listened to the "Nearness of You", last night, after I saw this thread and although Sarah Brightman has a wonderful voice, I'll for go the coin toss and vote for Merrill.