Best Female Vocalist

On 5/30/2004 2:00:42 PM rowooo wrote:

"boomac, Stevie Nicks a typo????? You have to be kidding me."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

rowoo, we're talking about the the cream of the crop here.

Stevie Nicks is to Helen Merrill or Sarah Brightman or Linda Ronstadt like

Mr. Ed is to Smarty Jones!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another sweet sounding, smooth, clear voice is Dido.

I'm listening to one of her CDs right now at whisper levels because jt1stcav just went to bed. (PARTY POOPER!!!) It is absolutely spooky how natural and present her voice sounds right now. With all the lights off, and the lid to my laptop closed through a couple songs, listening to her with my eyes closed, it's almost like I can see her standing there playing the guitar and singing into the mic. This is just absolutely wonderful!!!

If this little Dared amp can do this with my KG's, I can't even begin to imagine what that Consonance amp is going to do when it gets here!!!! I might become paranoid and start listening with one eye open all the time or something! 6.gif

I'd consider Amy Lee to also be among these lists. Her voice is not only smooth and dynamic, but she can hit just about any part of the vocal octave.(Almost, of course shes not gonna reach baritone/bass for crying out loud rofl. That freak the hell outta me) Many compare her voice to Sarah McLachlan. I don't think shes as smooth as Sarah, but close. Her My Immortal song (CD orignal, not Radio/MTV version) is widely consider to be up there with "In The Arms of An Angel".

----------------

On 5/31/2004 12:10:31 AM InnovaZero wrote:

I'd consider Amy Lee to also be among these lists. Her voice is not only smooth and dynamic, but she can hit just about any part of the vocal octave.(Almost, of course shes not gonna reach baritone/bass for crying out loud rofl. That freak the hell outta me) Many compare her voice to Sarah McLachlan. I don't think shes as smooth as Sarah, but close. Her My Immortal song (CD orignal, not Radio/MTV version) is widely consider to be up there with "In The Arms of An Angel".

----------------

The real kicker is that Amy Lee is only 20 years old and has a great voice like that! Now that's tallent! She never skips a beat or hits a sour note, and has class and soul in her singing.

You could never get that type of performance from someone like Britney Spears, who sounds like a mouse or something. I think she's been sucking down too much helium before her studio recordings.

Another one I can't stand is Charlotte Church. She obviously trys way too hard to sound like something she's not. She's just too fake sounding.

"one voice stands out.. IMO.

Stevie Nicks, Jane Monheit, Sylvia Tyson, Helen Merrill, Lynn Anderson, Norah Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, Janis Joplin, Diana Krall, Sarah Brightman"

Stevie Nicks IS it!

Some of my Favorites!

UNA MAE CARLISLE! You really ought to look her stuff up. . . she didn't record enough but she was beautiful, had a great voice and could really play the piano (she was a student of Fats Waller!)

HELEN MERRILL!

ELLA FITZGERALD!

CARMEN McRAE!

JOYA SHERRILL!

IVIE ANDERSON!

BILLIE HOLIDAY!

Are any of you that have mentioned Stevie Nicks serious?

If so, please explain why she belongs in the company of:

Sarah Brightman - Helen Merrill - Linda Ronstadt - Ella Fitzgerald - Billie Holiday - Lina Horne - Sarah Vaughan - Diana Krall - Karen Carpenter - Aretha - Gladys - Yearwood - McEntire - Kline - Midler - Garland - O'Connell - Clooney - Babs - or even Old Lady Partritge!

Please enlighten me my fellow Klipschsters.

Oh, these are impossible questions, along with the best male vocalists - how do you choose?

Operatic?

Maria Callas, Monserat Caballe, Renata Tebaldi, Renato Scotti, Joan Sutherland....

Jazz?

Ella Fitzgerald, Jacintha, Billy Holiday.....

Soul/Blues?

Tracey Chapman, Aretha Franklin...

Turkish?????

Sertab Erener (I have mentioned her before on this site - the most amazing range of any voice I have ever come across - male or female). She won the Eurovision Sony contest last year....

Jennifer Warnes probably deserves an honorable mention here too...(not Turkish - obviously).

Other than that my brain is not working - there are lots missing from the above list but it would be beyond me to choose even from these...

----------------

On 6/1/2004 2:55:06 AM boomac wrote:

Are any of you that have mentioned Stevie Nicks serious?

If so, please explain why she belongs in the company of:

Sarah Brightman - Helen Merrill - Linda Ronstadt - Ella Fitzgerald - Billie Holiday - Lina Horne - Sarah Vaughan - Diana Krall - Karen Carpenter - Aretha - Gladys - Yearwood - McEntire - Kline - Midler - Garland - O'Connell - Clooney - Babs - or even Old Lady Partritge!

Please enlighten me my fellow Klipschsters.

----------------

I can't speak for the rest of them but I'm definitely serious. I'd like to know why YOU think she doesn't belong in that company?

----------------

On 6/1/2004 9:01:16 PM rowooo wrote:

I can't speak for the rest of them but I'm definitely serious. I'd like to know why YOU think she doesn't belong in that company?

---------------

rowoo buddy, If all the other female vocalists put a clothespin on their nose and mumbled, if might be a fair fight. Sorta' kiddin'.

I'm sorry. I do listen to Fleetwood Mac once in a great while and even Stevie Nicks once in a great while is ok.

Try this! Go to Are Electric Friend's post and have a listen. Compare her to any others he has listed. BTW, have you ever heard her live? I have and it ain't nothin' very special.

If this was "my favorite female vocalist thread", I could understand and would never question anyone's choice. I think, however, that this is "best female vocalist thread" and while it is most difficult to pick "just one", or even a top 10, I can't imagine Stevie Nicks placing anywhere in the top 100. Just my opinion, of course.

boomac -

Are you serious? Karen Carpenter? Linda Ronstadt?

Stevie Nicks has a sultry, sexy, intoxicating voice that can, on occation, send shivers up and down tne spine of any man who's not dead or deaf.

Gold Dust Woman, Chain - I hardly know where to begin. Ronstadt on her best day couldn't button Stevie's bustier.