Best Female Vocalist

----------------

On 6/1/2004 10:50:09 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

boomac -

Stevie Nicks has a sultry, sexy, intoxicating voice that can, on occation, send shivers up and down tne spine of any man who's not dead or deaf.

----------------

Well Ray, I don't want this to get antagonistic but your statement takes a lot for granted. It might even border on the ridicules. I'm a man and I'm not dead or deaf but Stevie Nicks never sent shivers up or down my spine. Maybe you're listening with the somethin' other than your ears. You may love her voice and think she's all that and if that's really the case, I wouldn't blame you for owning all her albums and playing them every time your wanted to get the shivers. But Ray, of all the female vocalist, can you honestly say Stevie Nicks is the best?

As I indicated in my initial post, I would toss a coin and opt for either Sarah Brightman or Helen Merrill. I think they are two of the best but I won't presume to think for all mankind.

BTW, check out the cover of "Hasten Down The Wind"!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I'm sorry. I do listen to Fleetwood Mac once in a great while and even Stevie Nicks once in a great while is ok."

boomac, perhaps there is a problem with your hearing? Diana Krall's best don't even stand a chance against Stevie Nicks's "ok"!

No problem with my hearing neo33. Did you ever hear her live? Probably not! I never suggested that Krall was the best but I certainly prefer her to Nicks and I don't need you or anybody else to tell me I have a hearing problem because of that preference. My guess is that more men would agree with me than not. You and Ray may really dig Stevie Nicks and that's fine but neither one of you seems prepared to say she's the best female vocalist ever. I'm not shy about saying Brightman and Merrill are two of the best. Many may disagree but they wouldn't laugh me off the forum. Go on, say Nicks is the best female vocalist ever! Ah, you just might. I think you're both strokin' me.9.gif

This is all fine and dandy, but even a barking dog is better than Britney Spears!!! I think I'de rather listen to someone drag their fingernails across a chalkboard all day then listen to one of her CDs. 14.gif

I have to say, she is pretty darn hot looking though!! It's a shame her voice isn't as good as her body! 3.gif3.gif

----------------

On 6/2/2004 2:59:30 AM boomac wrote:

No problem with my hearing neo33. Did you ever hear her live? Probably not! I never suggested that Krall was the best but I certainly prefer her to Nicks and I don't need you or anybody else to tell me I have a hearing problem because of that preference. My guess is that more men would agree with me than not. You and Ray may really dig Stevie Nicks and that's fine but neither one of you seems prepared to say she's the best female vocalist ever. I'm not shy about saying Brightman and Merrill are two of the best. Many may disagree but they wouldn't laugh me off the forum. Go on, say Nicks is the best female vocalist ever! Ah, you just might. I think you're both strokin' me.
9.gif

----------------

O.K. here it is!! In my opinion Stevie Nicks is the best female vocalist of ALL TIME! And yes I have heard her live. Shivers and goose bumps is all I have to say.

Stevie nicks does have her moments it is true. Best of all time - well - each to their own on that one.

As it happens someone else mentioned Karen Carpenter - I had forgotten entirely about her - WHAT A VOICE - and what a pity she got stuck with chocolate box packaging and her brother's songs.

I seem to remember some TV special years ago with Karen singing alongside Ella Fitzgerald - would love to get a recording of that if it exists somewhere....anyone know?

There was something positively eerie about the presentation of those 2. Brother and sister in romantic, gooey settings...I dont know somehow - something aint right there if you ask me.

Stevie Nicks' voice always makes me think of Lucille Ball (in her later years), or maybe Popeye (early years). Maybe she needs more spinach (or Vitameatavegamin)?

Here ya go Max:

"As Time Goes By" also debuted in Japan and other markets back in 2001. It features 15 tracks, including many from the duo's 1980 Music, Music, Music TV special for ABC. Although released on the Essential Collection boxset, the highlight is surely Karen's duet with the legendary Ella Fitzgerald. Also featured are early pre-Carpenters recordings of "California Dreamin'" and "Nowhere Man". Out takes from recording sessions include "Leave Yesterday Behind" and "Rainbow Connection"."

http://www.yesterdayoncemore.net/

----------------------------------------------------------

Lon, I forgot she was a drummer. Helen Merrill, Yes Sir!

chops, You're right on both accounts. Pretty funny!

rowooo, I believe you and "may the shivers and goose bumps continue to leave your knees week and your" ? (We can't say that on the forum)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Fini, your post was great, as usual, and it may have been the right one to let this thread die with but I wanted to share that info with Max.

----------------

On 6/2/2004 9:14:41 AM maxg wrote:

Stevie nicks does have her moments it is true. Best of all time - well - each to their own on that one.

As it happens someone else mentioned Karen Carpenter - I had forgotten entirely about her - WHAT A VOICE - and what a pity she got stuck with chocolate box packaging and her brother's songs.

I seem to remember some TV special years ago with Karen singing alongside Ella Fitzgerald - would love to get a recording of that if it exists somewhere....anyone know?

There was something positively eerie about the presentation of those 2. Brother and sister in romantic, gooey settings...I dont know somehow - something aint right there if you ask me.

----------------

Max,

As it happens, more Carpenter's lps are at the library and thrift stores then any others I've seen. I've never seen any with Ella though. If you have a hankerin' for some Carpenter's lps, let me know. I'll ship you half a dozen or so, no charge (except shipping).

BTW - I have to side with Boomac on the Stevie Nicks issue. A cross between Popeye and Lucile Ball is the way I hear her also (nice one Fini2.gif). She did sound OK on some of their older LPs I must admit but............ It's like saying Bob Dylan was one of the great male vocalists. Doesn't mean you don't like to listen. No shivers here though.

Ah, the Stevie Nicks debate...In my initial post, I mentioned her as "one" of my favorite female vocalists, and even today I still adore her talents.

I have heard her perform live back in '81 when she was breaking out with her solo career. She had a magic in her voice that to me (and many others) was both captivating and spell-binding. When she was very young, her strong but delicate voice was much lighter and more effortless than it is today...Granted, she always had her signature vibrato that pulled me in every time, but not so much her vocal parts than that of her singing style and her approach to the songs she sang (with the songs she wrote herself even more intriging) that attracted my ears each and every time.

She sounded the sweetest back in '73 when she and Lindsey Buckingham teamed up (before joining Fleetwood Mac), demonstrating that she had what it takes to captivate her audience...she could really belt out the high notes with much force, and in an instant sing so sweet an child-like...

buckinghamnicks2.jpg

After joining Fleetwood Mac and recording Rumours, you could later detect the maturity in both her voice and her singing style. Her raspy vibrato deepened, and her classic chattering almost became a nuisance; now in her early 50s, her voice has fallen markedly in register, not being able to reach her highest peaks she's known for. But she still has harmony and sweetness when she's not forcing herself, and she can still captivate my ears (and my eyes...damn, she's still hot IMO)!

I still vote Sarah Brightman as being "the" numeral uno female vocalist IMO, but Stevie will always have my heart...awwww!5.gif

post-11084-13819255273192_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/2/2004 8:01:21 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Ah, the Stevie Nicks debate...In my initial post, I mentioned her as "one" of my favorite female vocalists, and even today I still adore her talents.

I have heard her perform live back in '81 when she was breaking out with her solo career. She had a magic in her voice that to me (and many others) was both captivating and spell-binding. When she was very young, her strong but delicate voice was much lighter and more effortless than it is today...Granted, she always had her signature vibrato that pulled me in every time, but not so much her vocal parts than that of her singing style and her approach to the songs she sang (with the songs she wrote herself even more intriging) that attracted my ears each and every time.

She sounded the sweetest back in '73 when she and Lindsey Buckingham teamed up (before joining Fleetwood Mac), demonstrating that she had what it takes to captivate her audience...she could really belt out the high notes with much force, and in an instant sing so sweet an child-like...

buckinghamnicks2.jpg

After joining Fleetwood Mac and recording Rumours, you could later detect the maturity in both her voice and her singing style. Her raspy vibrato deepened, and her classic chattering almost became a nuisance; now in her early 50s, her voice has fallen markedly in register, not being able to reach her highest peaks she's known for. But she still has harmony and sweetness when she's not forcing herself, and she can still captivate my ears (and my eyes...damn, she's still hot IMO)!

I still vote Sarah Brightman as being "the" numeral uno female vocalist IMO, but Stevie will always have my heart...awwww!
5.gif

----------------

You are disturbed.

----------------

On 6/2/2004 8:18:17 PM chops wrote:

You are disturbed.

----------------

And you're telling me this because...?

Hey, boomac initially asked for my take on choosing Stevie Nicks, and I "wrote a book" on my experiences...9.gif

"Did you ever hear her live?"

I have been attending her live performance frequently (since the early 80s') for the last 20 years or so. Have you? In fact I will be at the Fleetwood Mac live this June 20 in Irvine.

"I never suggested that Krall was the best"

Yes, but you did ask:

"If so, please explain why she belongs in the company of:

Sarah Brightman - Helen Merrill - Linda Ronstadt - Ella Fitzgerald - Billie Holiday - Lina Horne - Sarah Vaughan - Diana Krall - Karen Carpenter - Aretha - Gladys - Yearwood - McEntire - Kline - Midler - Garland - O'Connell - Clooney - Babs - or even Old Lady Partritge!"

and hence my mention of Krall as an example.

"but neither one of you seems prepared to say she's the best female vocalist ever."

IMO, Stevie Nicks is the best female vocalist, period!

Are Electric Friends: Thanks for your ingenious post. How do you do that?

neo33: I'm not at all surprised that there are people that really like her voice but I can't imagine anyone believing that she is "the best". I guess there are two of you, though. BTW, I mentioned that I saw her live in a previous post.

jt1stcav: I hear ya. I really dig Janis Joplin's voice but I wouldn't mention her here in this thread. Hard to argue with a choice like Sarah Brightman.

Ray: I just had a listen to Birgit Nilsson and she has a beautiful voice. Opera is hard for many of us to get into and I suspect that's why she wasn't mentioned.

I'm stickin' with Helen Merrill! Style, Timing, Grace and Face!

It's all about the artist moving you. If she doesn't well she isn't makin the list. And i am sure it's different for each person. That doesn't mean ones better than the other. I like Stevie Knicks a great deal, because she moves me. I can feel the pain in her heart and it feels like she is singing to me. Along with Patsy kline who is crazy good. So don't tax my gig cruster! I'm the weeeheeeezeellll. I mean wheelman. I honestly can't say their is a best. Only maybe when i am drunk. But really the best is when you are in the mood for that particular style singer. I am pretty much in the mood for Stevie all the time. So Stevie if you are reading this pm me anytime.