Unopened DSOTM

English, American, German, or Japanese pressing?

The last English pressing unopened I saw, went for 180, it was not a audiophile version. I talked to the person who purchased it, he wanted it for a PF memrobilia collection, and it he claimed it was only worth 80-100, but since he got to examine condition, and see that is was first pressing he paid that much.

FWIW

I just sold an unopened Canadian Capitol Records pressing of The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ( Stereo ) on Ebay for U$ 76.75

Had that LP been an original Parlophone Mono pressing in the shrink wrap it would have brought something in the area of U$ 275.00.

Your DSOTM in shrink wrap would bring some serious dinero especially if it is a British pressing!

Here is a link to that LP on Ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/Dark-Side-of-The-Moon_W0QQfromZR8QQsosortorderZ2QQsosortpropertyZ3

----------------

On 6/3/2004 11:21:51 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 6/3/2004 10:19:15 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

I was talking about the
really old
original one.

----------------

You know the one, Gramps!

----------------

I knew someone was going to say something about me saying that and it doesn't suprise me that it was you Fini2.gif. Well it is really old compared to me.

Let's not stray into belly button lint, ok? The original British and US pressings had the pyramid murals on little placards, Taylor. Of the last ten "original pressings" I have seen, only one was, and it sold for $18, open.

You have to be careful, as most "OPs" are being sold by people that will simply reseal a used lp in plastic shrink. If you really want to determine exactly what going price is in St. Louis, call Vintage Vinyl, Euclid Records, and Streetside rock manager on Delmar, and take the average of their quoted selling price. Dollars to donuts, it won't be the original sealed, but stranger things pop up every day.9.gif

It depends on what label you are talking about. If it is the latest 30th anniversary then it can be ordered new for $25.

If it's a Mofi or Harvest it might be worth some dough.

I just picked up an opened Harvest label for $8.50 from a retailer, but sealed would get a few more $$'s in an auction market or with the right seller.

Edit:

The 30th anniversary edition is quite good. Since it is readily available I wouldn't spend too much money chasing the boutique labels.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:15:14 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

I bought a DSOTM unopened 5 yrs ago for five bucks ...still havent opened it. Ive heard this lp before lackluster performence. I dont know what all the fuss is about.

----------------

You have to open it up to get the full effect.

Maron,

You really ought to think about offering that DSOTM up for sale so someone who does get it can enjoy it - it is just such a waste otherwise.

Personally I got it when I was, what, 10? and have got it ever since - its like a childhood friend now - 2 copies on CD (one the Musical fidelity one that cost way more than it should have) and 2 copies on vniyl (used to be 3 - gave one to a friend), plus a ripped version on my hard disk - for emergencies!!

Of course you could try listening to it again and see if you get it this time....