Crossroads Guitar Festival

Anyone going to the Crossroads Guitar Festival? The list of guest guitar players is impressive, to say the least. Clapton is also auctioning off Blackie, his favorite Stratocaster, among other guitars. Brownie went for $475,000 four years ago, purportedly to Paul Allen, and I expect Blackie to go even higher...

http://www.crossroadsguitarfestival.org/

For the most part it was Great! By far, the highlight for me was an onstage jam session featuring Eric Clapton, BB King, Jimmy Vaughn, Buddy Guy, and John Mayer with Jimmy Vaughn's band as backup. Jimmy Vaugn seemed over matched in that group, bit it was an amazing 45 minutes! As for the rest of the day, there was pretty much something for everyone! I was a bit dissapointed in a few of the acts, but overall it was an great show! If anyone wants an act by act account, I can post it but that would be a bit long so I will wait and see if it is something anyone wants.

Someting of interest here, at the guitar show area I saw a sign that read:

"Klipsh LaScala Industrial Speakers $1195 for the pair"

My wife saw me looking and said "Not a chance!" 9.gif What is it with Big, Black, scarred up, LaScalas and Negative WAF?? 2.gif

OK, Here is my take on the whole lineup. (At least what I saw of it)

Neil Schon - Opened the show with a "Jimi Hendrix" rendition of the National Anthem! Very talented guitarist!

Steve Vai - Big 80's hair and Huge talent!

Sony Landreth - My be a Cajun, but he can sure play the blues!

Larry Carlton and his Band - Great Jazz/Big Band sound. First time I've heard him but it wont be the last!

Pat Metheny Trio - Didn't seem popular with the crowd, but one of my personal favorites so I thought he was great as usual!

John McLaughlin - Mised most of it in the food line! but sounded good from under the stands!

Robert Cray - Great as usual! Early crowd favorite!

Hubert Sumlin w/ David Johansen - Sumlin is a classic old time Blues man! Johansen was a bit over the top for my tastes, but the crowd loved him!

At this point I left to go walk through the guitar village area to try to wake up (I worked the night before). I cam back in the middle of Bo Diddley's set and missed who was supposed to be Booker T and the MGs and was told it was someone else. I'm not sure who it was.

Bo Diddley - He's Bo Diddley! What more can you say!

David Hildalgo - Very talented Guitarist from Los Lobos. Actually one of my favorites for the day.

Joe Walsh - pretty much what you expect from Joe! Best Show of the day.

Vishwa Mohan Bhatt - Indian sitarist who played a 20 String guitar of his on design. I have no idea what he sounded like as the mikes were very poorly placed and noone could hear him!

Vince Gill and Jerry Douglas - Not a C&W fan so I went back to the food line for this one. I can say that Gill can Definitly play!

James Taylor - He was James Taylor.. Not my cup of tea, but the crowd seemed to love him.

BB King - WOW!!! Turned into the above mentioned jam sesion! This alone was worth the price of admission!!!

Buddy Guy - My pick for best "Licks" of the day! Will he ever get old?

Carlos Santana - First person to be boo'd by the crowd for a comment about Pres Bush, but man can he play!!

Eric Clapton - He blows me away every time I see him. It just seems so effortless for him!

Jeff Beck - One song! Big dissapointment for me as I am a Huge fan.

ZZ Top - Huge hit (Obviously, being in Texas!) but Not their best work.

Had a grand finale planned but being Sunday night the City mandates that concerts be over by a certain time and the Finale was cut.

The finale was "axed"? What a rip-off! Thank you, State of Texas. Oh well, they'd probably have the same problem in most states. My tastes in guitar players echo yours fairly close, but it seems to me the biggest problem must have been that you couldn't enjoy any one of the artists for too long, as they had to cram so many acts into such a short period of time. Jeff Beck, only one song? I would have cried. I hope he did Blue Wind or Freeway Jam or something. Now, for those of use unable to attend, I wonder if a dvd is planned.... That would be a must have. 10.gif