Another newbie needs Klipsch owners advice

BertWright

Sorry, this might be a long question, but first time on here and need advice from someone other than a salesman. I am stuck here in Little Rock and have only 2 high-end audio sources to audition equipment (not counting Best Buy as a place I plan to spend money). Having friends who have owned Klipsch since college (early 80's) one of which dropped out of 2nd floor frat window and it still works like a dream, I am set on Klipsch. Here is my question for the experts here.

1). I am buying the RF7 fronts, RC7 center, and RSW15 sub. Here is my problem. My room is about 20 X 35 with the TV etc on one end, and about 15 feet on the other being a kitchen/island etc... So I have big problem using RS7 as sides and RCR5 as rear in a 7.1 setup. The friend setting it up for me suggest using KEF as the sides and rear (the ones that actually drop from the ceiling, creating a "false wall".) Does anyone see a problem using KEF's as my side/rear speakers in conjunction with Klipsch in front. I probably use system about 80/20 movies over music. And while I am at it, in a 7.1 set-up, what is the optimum placement for the speakers, sides pointing in right behind where the chair will be and the rears pointing forward from the rear?

2). With only 2 choices of demo'ing equipment, the store with Klipsch has Denon or Yammi's. I am not going with Yammi's and am thinking atrongly about 3805. The other shop has Pioneer and Rotel, and he strongly as do others suggests going with seperates, but I have no way of testing to see what works best with Klipsch, DEnon or Rotel. I don't mind spending a little more to go with Rotel, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, and I know I will be having more questions. Just don't want to have awesome speakers at that price and mess up with the equipment. Thanks!!!

Some of the answers;

A lot of people will tell you that the mid-range drivers should be the same or as close as possible all the way around in a home movie and music reproduction system. I dont actually know. The HT Ive heard, it didnt make that much difference peripheral sounds and special effects anyway.

This is a mainly a Denon crowd here, which model Rotel are you looking at?

A receiver has tuner (for radio), pre-amplifier (for boosting and selecting signal) and a power amplifier, all built inside. Often a better value because you are sharing one motherboard and power supply. Is that what you meant?

Please go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and the components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your Forum profile that way, we can look it up anytime we provide expert advice.

16.gif

As others advised matching is very important and you will hear a big difference.As to the Rotel,Denon ? the 3805 is all you could ask for at $1k and solid,the Rotels are better for music,imo,with a few less features(I have owned a 3802/03/05.)

Agree with the above. Match your front 3 speakers. Most of us don't have ideal rooms - just do the "best you can" on the rears.

I've had Yamaha, Denon and now Rotel. Sound quality on the Rotel is superior - more detailed, better separation on surround channels and better bass at low volume. You don't get a lot of "bells and whistles" with Rotel - just depends what you are looking for.

Also - as noted above the Receiver is basically 3 units built into one box. That adds convenience and saves money, but you also have to make some trade-offs. That much stuff in one box may cause more noice and they have to use smaller (usually less quality) components. Also, if you want to upgrade you end up replacing the whole thing. With separates, you can upgrade your processor but keep your amp, etc...

I have a very similar room and sucessfully use RS7s as side surrounds and two RS35s as my rears along the back wall of the kitchen. The result is a huge soundstage and very enveloping surround experience. There was no difficulty setting the delay for the rears (the typical problem for this type room) with my Rotel RSP 1066. Perhaps if you could upload a diagram of your room/seating I could be of assitance in speaker placement.

I do believe that with the size room you have you may need more subwoofer than you propose. There is just soooo much air to move.

If you need info about ROTEL I can provide some answers and direction.

Jerry Rappaport

Thanks for the input guys.

Fish, what features or "bells and whistles" would I be giving up going with Denon over Rotel? Like I said earlier, I probably listen 80% to movies/sports over music, but plan to kick back and enjoy music mouch more with new system.

Jerry, you said you had a similar setup and it enveloped you whole room/kitchen area. I have plans to have the dropdown KEF's in front of the kitchen portion so that the surround-sound aspect will be tighter to the seating area, plus don't want to blow away the wife cooking while I watch the tube.

You say 1 sub isn't enough. A 15" sub not enough? On the second floor, hardwood floors?

Lastly, Jerry, what info can you supply to me on Rotel. Any additional help will be appreciated.

Istari, yes, Custom Audio in Little ROck is one store. Great set-up, have bought from them for years, yet they are the only ones with Klipsch, so I have no way of listening to any other set-up except for Denon and Yammi. And since I don't want a Yammi (have one now), it is either Denon or guessing what else would work well with Klipsch. I am sure they have the listening room with the RF7's tweaked out to it's best ability, and it sounds great. Just want to make sure of what I buy. Those that say Rotel say "hands down" etc... but it is hard not hearing it with Klipsch. The other store in town with Rotel uses Kef's and others.

I own some Rotel equipment, its all seperates, amp,pre,digatal,decode... and I am not really happy with it at all, I also have some Adcom, Sunfire and acoustat, I would definetly look closer at the rotel stuff, as it has a very cheap feel,look, and sound, when you compare it to the other equpment ie. amps and pre amps for the same money. Adcom will smoke that rotel stuff hands down.

I would suggest the Klipsch variants all around too. (left, center, right, and surrounds. Also the Klipsch RSW 15 is a great sub too)

With movies getting better at giving great information to the rears.. The more they are like the fronts is always the better. (e.g. frequency response, dynamics, and Spls too.)

While this board has a legion of SVS fans... The RSW 15 is a great monster of a sub too. Even with K horns...I can't imagine a movie now that I have it ...without it.

Last the Yamahas are a little bright... Their soundsatge includes a front extra pair of speakers for the effects...Really cool too.

Dennon is a little warmer... perhaps a tad quieter in background noise. I have owned em both, in my opinion if this is for movies..a nod to the Yamaha... if more for stereo listening the Dennon.

I will say this as an absolute truth. Yamaha has a great remote, easy to manuver and learn. The Dennon can be a nightmare... I almost threw my 3802 out the window I was so angry. LOL.. And I am not electronically inept!