Looking for your thoughts........

chops

Does anyone have any thoughts on these Cerwin Vega loudspeakers? Are they decent sounding? Would they be good at reproducing classical and jazz music?

The only reason I'm asking is because my "other" brother is looking for a more efficient pair of speakers for his little SE amp, and these Cerwins are rated at 103dB @ 1 watt.

Any help will be appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71569&item=5703041841&rd=1

Cerwin Vega Model 317

cerwinvega317c.jpg

Cerwin Vegas are essentially rock speakers.

The auction even says they are Hard Rocker series.

(That doesn't mean they won't play classical or jazz, they just may have that tipped up bass sound to them.)

200 watts rated, with 400 watts peaks. Those little horn loaded looking dome tweeters probably do not need any power to push them loud, but those woofers may need some wattage.

I'm gonna take a guess and figure a SE Magnavox amp will push those speakers, but it may be only a notch or two above background music levels. It would depend on how efficient the woofers are. The little amp may struggle on them maybe not.

You would have to try and see.

IMO, kinda spendy for the 400 bucks these Cerwin's are going for. May as well spend a little more for some heritage, or EV, or Altec of some sort.

You'll hear more that that amp has to offer.

It's a hard call, that's the PITA with flea amps for sure.

My Magnavox IMO, has done best on my Cornwalls.

You should tell the other Brother not to be so tight and and try that amp through Brother Jim's Cornwalls using his BEZ pre-amp.

It may answer some questions for the both of them.

Jim would get somewhat of a take on what his Triode amp will sound like, these little amps do sound sorta like a SET that doesn't get as loud with that little slight sharp "bite" that seems to be a natural thing of all 6BQ5's no matter how smooth.(IMO.)

Maybe a full-range with a tight cone and a big-*** magnet, like a Whitley Stentorion HF-1016 or something.

Something really efficient, like 97 or better db's with about ten to twenty watts power rating.

In a bass reflex cabinet, with a horn tweeter on top, crossed over at 3500 Hz or so.

Those Magnavox SE amps are only powering in the milliwatt range, so if you want to be loud and proud it will take some serious efficiency in the speaker situation.

I bet they would crank on Klipschorns.

(In a smaller room or course......)

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:22:10 PM DeanG wrote:

Nice post Mike, you sure got further with it then I did.
14.gif

----------------

Well Dean, I don't claim to know everything about everything like you do. So unlike you, I have to still ask questions.

Forget about it anyway because my brother changed his mind.

P.S. - Thank you Mike. At least you are kind enough to take the time to help out and not try to make an a$$ out of me. 2.gif (not that I was concerned about that anyway)

I recall that two of the best systems that I heard in the late 70's, early 80's used Vegas. Some may want to slam them and the reason may be similar to why some slam Klipsch speakers Vegas tend to over accent the bass. Klipsch tend to over accent the midrange. But, does it really matter? To each his own. If I wanted a rock only system, I would be looking closely at that auction. For classical and jazz, you may want to move on.

My first BIG speakers were Jensen 4-ways with 16 or 18" woofers. Now those had some bass.

Chops,

Do you listen to organ music like your bro? If so, you may like the deep bass of those CVs. I'd still rather have cornwalls or lascalas and a sub.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 9:00:11 PM garymd wrote:

Chops,

Do you listen to organ music like your bro? If so, you may like the deep bass of those CVs. I'd still rather have cornwalls or lascalas and a sub.

----------------

Yeah, I sure do, plus jazz, dance, pop, dark gothic, etc, except rap and country.

It sounds like these KG 5.5s of mine have quite a bit deeper and fuller bass than the Cornwalls. In fact, to me, it sounds like my KGs do everything better than the Cornwalls. They definately have smoother highs than the Cornwalls, especially at high volume levels. I have no plans on getting rid of my KGs any time soon.

I have never heard that particular C-V speaker, but as a lad, I heard a herd of them. To my ears, too, they are generally bass heavy, but with the right placement and/or a little bass cut, they are good values, at least for amped music (rock, country, pop, smooth jazz, etc).

my brother runs cerwin vegas, and in a way they are what really got me started in my new madness, and yes they are a really good rock speaker, actually they sound really good on everything, but they dont have klipsch's refinements, i mean that i have yet to hear anything sound bad on klipsch, and i have had everything now in house from cornerhorns to rc 3's, when my brother hears my gear he just say's hmmmp sounds good, but i know he remembers when i was listening from an older sony cassette player(pesonal player)12.gif

Chops: If you get what " you" consider a negitive reaction to a thread then it's better to put up a gaint ? then to rebutal in an equaly negitive manner.

personalities around this place take awhile to get to know

dEaNs A dAm JaCkAsS aT tHe BeSt Of TiMeS 6.gif LoL

AnD i KnOw LeSs ThEn He DoEs , AnD fInI kNoWs " f--k a-l "

So your disfunctionality fits right in 9.gif

PS : keep it light no ones out to get you , were all freinds in the end .

----------------

On 6/4/2004 11:05:46 PM fini wrote:

Are you not one of the famous Tidwell boys??

----------------

Umm.... I'm the one on the left. (that pic wasn't showing earlier)

And now because I know of this picture being posted by the schmuck in the middle (jt1stcav), he will fail to see his next birthday! 11.gif

----------------

On 6/4/2004 11:12:20 PM Dual Woofers wrote:

Chops: If you get what " you" consider a negitive reaction to a thread then it's better to put up a gaint ? then to rebutal in an equaly negitive manner.

personalities around this place take awhile to get to know

dEaNs A dAm JaCkAsS aT tHe BeSt Of TiMeS
6.gif
LoL

AnD i KnOw LeSs ThEn He DoEs , AnD fInI kNoWs " f--k a-l "

So your disfunctionality fits right in
9.gif

PS : keep it light no ones out to get you , were all freinds in the end .

----------------

Yeah, I know. I'm trying to get better at not letting things bother me. I guess I just have a short fuse. 2.gif