cornwall gaskets and insulation

bsacco

My Cornwall II's do not have component gaskets for the motor board nor does the speakers have any insulation in the inside of the speaker.

Does this effect the sound?

I was thinking of going down to Home Depot and buying some R-13 and covering the inside walls.

Is this a waste of time? Or will it make a difference in the sound that equates to sounding better?

You must have a pair of the newer Cornwall II speakers then. They have no insulation inside the cabinets. I removed the woofer and there was gasket material behind it but it had deteriorated.

I would not use fiberglass insulation in there, small invisible pieces can be blown out into your listening area through the ports over time. I bought the 1 1/2" thick acoustic insulation panels from Parts Express and a can of Scotch 77 spray glue to hold it in place. It took about 10 of the 24" X 18" panels to do them both about $3.80 each panel or so. I also bought some of the 10" X 10" dynamat type material to damp the woofer baskets for whatever it was worth. Next I plan on upgrading the really cheesy crossover networks in them. DeanG has already quoted me a cost on the upgrade and it is not bad at all.

I have them sitting inverted on my '62 Cornwalls and a knock on the side of the cabinet showed that they made a hollow/echoey sound when knocked compared to no noise on the '62's they are solid as a rock.

Pretty easy to cut, glue and place the panels through the woofer hole. I did not bother removing the mid & tweeter.

I have a set of Cornwalls. They have each of the pair of parallel walls (bottom, one side, back) covered with a 1/2 blanket of what looks like compressed tissue paper stapled in place. I suppose you could substitute an insulation-like material, but remember the purpose of the insulation. You are only trying to dampen standing waves between the parallel walls, therefore the insulation does not need to be very thick. Smaller speaker cabinets are sometimes 'stuffed' with insulation which caused the apparent size of the cabinet to be larger. This is not necessary with big boxes like Corns!

Happy listening!

Michael

• Like 1