Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Here's mine, still haven't gotten the surrounds up yet but everything else is good to go. As you might be able to tell, my entertainment system is in the corner of my family room. I don't have a lot of space on either side to put my mains so they are pretty close to my center channel. The real question I have is the placement of the subwoofer. Right now I have it behind my entertainment center, facing the wall. I gave it a bit of room to "breathe" for lack of a better term but I have it firing directly into the wall. Is that the proper place to put it or should it go out into the room, firing out into the room? Any help would be super appreciated. Also excuse the mess, I have some cleaning up to do with my entertainment center (get some wires better placed for one). Here are some pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And man's best friend "helping" me hook some stuff up:

Posted Image

• Moderators

Nice looking setup Mark. It is not recommended to put your sub facing the wall. Makes me think of time out in elementary school. LOL. My guess is that the bass is increased but it probably sounds "boomy" instead of tight.

The non-sophisticated method of finding the best placement for your sub is to place your sub in your primary listening chair. Then when no one is around, crawl on your hands and knees around the room to see where you get the smoothest bass response. Wherever that is, that is the ideal place to put your sub.

Hmm I can set it off to the side of the entertaiment center and have it firing directly at me out into the room, that's pretty much the extent of what I can do at this point in time with the room restrictions in place. You think that's better than having it fire into the wall? Thanks!

Hmm I can set it off to the side of the entertaiment center and have it firing directly at me out into the room, that's pretty much the extent of what I can do at this point in time with the room restrictions in place. You think that's better than having it fire into the wall? Thanks!

Just flip it around either 90 or 180 degrees so the front firing speaker is not facing the wall.

Hi mbr, Kind of reminds me of my system. Theres something compelling about the look of the 35 speakers next to a 42" that tickles my fancy. The surrounds are cool looking too. Good luck with it all. Seems like you're on the right track and you should get a lot of pleasure from it. I

I'm guessing Klipsch availability is good in your area? Nic

I'm selling my LaScalas because they aren't right for me right now in this house.

Hey space cowboy, if you can possibly hold onto the LSs I would. I carried mine around for 25 years before I was able to purchase a home large enough to use them in again. I've stored them in my kid's playroom (ouch!!!), neighbor's basement (their cat loved to sleep in them???) and now I am building a HT around them (yes pics will follow the progress). I am living with a beautiful woman who has a very high WAF, but I've staked out the basement rec room as my territory. I currently do have a modest Klipsch Home Theatre built around the Quintet III speakers I picked up on ebay. Talk about not being up to Heritage Standard[:(] I replaced a nice set of other branded speakers that I gave to my son in order to keep the WAF at a very high level when I introduced a shop built entertainment center into the upstairs den area. (Yeah, I'd love to post pics of that too, I'm pretty proud of it but I'm a work now and don't have access). Bottom line: If you can hold onto the LSs you may save yourself some future cash when you're in a better position and for now you still can be a proud owner of a Klipsch HT.

best,

billybob

Just flip it around either 90 or 180 degrees so the front firing speaker is not facing the wall.

Okay went ahead and flipped it around so its still behind the entertainment system but firing directly OUT into the room. No more pointing at the walls. Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Mark

Hi mbr, Kind of reminds me of my system. Theres something compelling about the look of the 35 speakers next to a 42" that tickles my fancy. The surrounds are cool looking too. Good luck with it all. Seems like you're on the right track and you should get a lot of pleasure from it. I

I'm guessing Klipsch availability is good in your area? Nic

Thanks for the kind words. Honestly Klipsch Reference series is pretty hard to find around here, Best Buy used to carry Synergy series and now I think they are carrying Icon Series only (have no experience with the Icon line at all).

I got really lucky with the Reference line. First my brother used to work for a very high end electronics company that would do 1 of 2 things - go into your business and set up your entire AV needs or go into your home and do high-end audio/vidoe installations. The lowest line of speakers they carried was the Klipsch Reference line. So I was able to get an RC-10 center channel for $100 and an RW-10d sub for $300. It was like 60% off MSRP. Then I got super lucky, my parents moved to another house and had speakers installed in the walls and ceiling. They had also bought the RB-35s from my brother's company, and they were kind enough to just GIVE them to me when they moved into their new house. Then I found an RC-35 center channel on Craigslist for $100 shipped and the S-1s surrounds for $85 shipped. Couple that with the fact that I sold my RC-10 center channel for $175 shipped, I literally got the upgraded RC-35 center channel and the S-1s for nothing. So for my entire system I have basically spent $450 give or take (not including the TV or the receiver of course). So I got really lucky. The Klipsch speakers hold their value so well, I'll probably hold onto these bookshelves until I can find used 82s floorstanding speakers and sell my RB-35s to offset some of the expense. I have seen 82s go for $550-600 here so I'm patiently waiting for the right time. Always looking to upgrade unfortunately, its a disease lol

I recognize your pup from a recent post by you on clubrsx...cool stuff.

Ah a fellow crsx'er, what's up man. I mainly stick to the sports section on that site, and sometimes the lounge (mostly for the dog thread), but that's how I found out about this site, i was asking a lot of electronics questions and they got sick of me and said to find a Klipsch forum lol

Thats a nice system mbr311, love the looks of the RB-35 with the RC-35.

BTW Klipsch do look nice with the grills off.

Thanks so much I apprecaite it! I wish I had more space, I would like to push my mains out a bit further from the center channel I think I would get better sound that way but I have no room. I'd also love to get a new entertainment center that would allow me to set up all my stuff in a bit more manageable way, i.e. room so everything doesn't look crunched together. I also need to do some rewiring to clean up everything behind the entertainment system. IT is a mess right now lol

Hey Youthman, thanks for the suggestion about the placement of the sub, since I flipped it 180 degrees and have it firing out into the room from behind the entertainment center, it is much "cleaner" for lack of a better term. When it was firing into the wall it almost sounded, well it just didn't sound right it was a bit louder but not nearly as clean sounding. Now it seems perfect. Thanks!

Mark

• Moderators

When it was firing into the wall it almost sounded, well it just didn't sound right it was a bit louder but not nearly as clean sounding. Now it seems perfect. Thanks!

Mark

You are exactly right. The wall was reinforcing the bass but it's exagerated and often "boomy". Many people put their sub in a corner but often, that is not the best place to put it.

I really should pull mine out from behind the false wall and place it in my chair and do "the crawl" to find the best place for it. I probably wouldn't bring it out from behind the false wall even if it sounded better, just would want to do it out of curiosity....but who knows. It might sound so much better somewhere else, I might be willing to keep it there.

GREAT look'in puppy!.....nice speakers too! Wink

Thanks that's my boy, he's with me almost 24/7 right now so we have quite the bond. Man's best friend lol and thanks for the kind words about the speakers, as someone already said I really love the looks of them with the grill off, the copper color woofers just look really dope to me. I usually leave the grill covers on though, just in case my dog accidentally was running around and face planted into the speaker, I would have to see him bust a woofer open. Still looks great/super clean with the grills on so no big deal.

Youthman - yea, it was way too 'boomy' when it deflected off the wall. It also sounded almost muffled to a degree, like it was hitting and then not disappating correctly. Now I have it right behind the entertainment center but it is facing directly out into the room at the same angle as the fronts and centers, so it's all going in the same direction. Sounds much better and cleaner as I said. Thanks for the suggestion I really do appreciate it!

Mark

25yr old party speakers, anyone???

Oh noooo , I had those same CV's , those things rocked ! Bought them in late 1985 when I still lived with my parents . They survived 4 moves locally and then I took them across country to Phx , Az. . For what I paid for them they where great . When it came time to move back after school they helped finance the trip . Put them in the paper for $300. and they sold the first day . Kinda bittersweet but no room in the car for them on the trip .
Then I switched to the darkside and bought Klipsch .

I can relate.........the only difference is that I never sold mine!! I bought mine in '85 too[H]

How dare you sell such a thing!! Hahah....

These speakers still bring me a lot of pleasure while serving garage duty!! The CV's were always powered by a classic mid-80's Pioneer VSX-9500S. Good'ol 2'channel power I always thought!!!.....I've recently been experiencing shorting problems in the left channel so I replaced my loving good old '80's Pioneer friend with a relatively modern Yamaha RX-V2500. All I have to say is WOW....NEW does pretty darned good with these old speakers........ I couldn't be happier.

I just completed some spring garage cleaning this past weekend and this picture was taken while the floor was still wet...

IMG_2783.jpg?t=1270684009

long live the CV's!!....LOL

PS..is there a simple way to downsize pictures?? The entire right side of the above picture is cropped because the file is too big...sheeeesh...

• dtel pinned this topic