Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

A shot of the equipment in the BDI stand with the smoked glass doors open. When I run the system, I keep the doors open because that big ol' Denon receiver can get pretty toasty warm, almost hot to the touch. Been thinking about adding a fan of some sort, but haven't decided yet.

Top left is the Oppo blu-ray player, bottom left is the Denon 4810 9.1 receiver, top right is the older Yamaha carousel CD/DVD player that I use just for CDs, below that is the Sonance 4 speaker pair selector box sitting on top of the Panamax power supply. On top of the stand is Samsung's very first LED LCD TV, a 950 series, bought about 18 months ago. Samsung has come out with about three or four models after this one, but I don't see any need to upgrade.

post-36327-13819617751536_thumb.jpg

post-36327-13819621536952_thumb.jpg

Nice setup, very nice and tastefully done. I must say if the notion of adding a fan for the Denon has crossed your mind then it's a good idea indeed. I have a buddy that kept his flagship receiver in such confinements lose a channel due to inadequate ventilation. Here's one that's not very expensive considering what's available and may work in your situation: http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html If this isn't an option you may want to swap your blu-ray space with a component and omit the shelf above the Denon.

Hello there Bone Doctor! Very nice open floor plan you have
there! Like the SVS as well, I have read they go down pretty low.

Question..
I guess that your 9.1 system is NOT discrete and I wonder how the
'matrix' of the Dolby system mixes the sound from 5.1 to 7.1 high
resolution audio formats from DTS MA, or Dolby HD ?

Yes on getting
info from your camera data. I am also a Canon owner, and you can do
this with the software editing program that comes with the camera. (Digital Photo Pro)

You should try running your camera in MANUAL, and switch to the 'tungsten' setting.. A tripod will help with an ISO of 400 and take out some of the grain seen with your very fast 3200 ISO...

I tried a little adjustment with your photo (hope you don't mind [;)]) and tried to take out some of the strong amber tone. I think your trim color is white, so I used that as a cue... I think your screen had alot of blue tones as seen in your original photo, so it is what it is. Let me know if this looks more like your room color scheme.

Thanks for your posts and explainations [Y]

.........Gary

post-23544-1381961777208_thumb.jpg

post-23544-13819621555502_thumb.jpg

Hello there Bone Doctor! Very nice open floor plan you have there! Like the SVS as well, I have read they go down pretty low.

Question.. I guess that your 9.1 system is NOT discrete and I wonder how the 'matrix' of the Dolby system mixes the sound from 5.1 to 7.1 high resolution audio formats from DTS MA, or Dolby HD ?

Yes on getting info from your camera data. I am also a Canon owner, and you can do this with the software editing program that comes with the camera. (Digital Photo Pro)

You should try running your camera in MANUAL, and switch to the 'tungsten' setting.. A tripod will help with an ISO of 400 and take out some of the grain seen with your very fast 3200 ISO...

I tried a little adjustment with your photo (hope you don't mind Wink) and tried to take out some of the strong amber tone. I think your trim color is white, so I used that as a cue... I think your screen had alot of blue tones as seen in your original photo, so it is what it is. Let me know if this looks more like your room color scheme.

Thanks for your posts and explainations Yes

.........Gary

You got me on the matrix question. Not sure how it does the 7.1 and 9.1 mixing. I do know that with the 7.1 and PLIIx, the rears are used more, but when switched to the PLIIz (height channels), the rears are basically silent and the extra output goes to the two THX height channels. It really does make a difference as far as expanding the 'sound stage' with the height channels, but I think it has a lot to do with my room size and shape. Those height channels are about 20 ft apart, but I fudged a little and rotated them so the horn points towards the sweet spot on the couch.

It's not optimal but hasn't really seemed to make much difference, but the distance from the screen to the best listening spot on the sofa is slightly less than the distance between the two front mains. I've experimented with moving the couch forwards and backwards and for now I'm positioned just back of the L/R surrounds. There's kind of a tradeoff between moving the sofa back to get a little farther away from the speakers and getting too far from the 55" TV. I was playing around last night while watching Baraka and was standing about 7 feet (half the distance normally) from the TV. The picture is just amazing. It's still great at about 14 feet on the sofa but you do lose some of the impact because you're farther away. The room really could support a much bigger TV, but that alcove is really the only place to put it and that limited me to a TV no wider than 58", plus you have to be able to put a stand in there, so that's where the BDI cabinet came from. It's exactly the same width as the TV, so they go well together.

No, don't mind about the picture. Yes, that's probably a little more accurate to what it looks like. The trim is white. The Canon is the first digital camera I've owned and I literally took it out of the box, charged the battery, put in the 32GB card, set it on full auto to begin, and took a test photo of the room. The light in the room was low and I was surprised how well the shot turned out considering. I guess that's the advantage of having a camera that can change the ISO. No wonder it could capture the image fairly well with ISO 3200! It does have a little grain, but I was just excited to have some pics to post. When I get a little more familiar with it, I'll start trying some of the other modes, like manual, AP, SP like I did with my old Nikon film camera. I don't have a tripod currently.

Nice setup, very nice and tastefully done. I must say if the notion of adding a fan for the Denon has crossed your mind then it's a good idea indeed. I have a buddy that kept his flagship receiver in such confinements lose a channel due to inadequate ventilation. Here's one that's not very expensive considering what's available and may work in your situation: http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html If this isn't an option you may want to swap your blu-ray space with a component and omit the shelf above the Denon.

Yes, it gets pretty warm, so I think I'll first try moving the shelf above up one setting, get a little more space between the top of the Denon and the glass shelf. I always keep the doors open when running it, and always leave them open when I turn it off. I may have to move the Oppo over to the top right and move the Yamaha CD player down on top of the Panamax. For cosmetics, I wanted to keep the Oppo above the Denon because they both have a ruby red light surrounding the power button. Minor, I know, but it looks like they were designed to go together. Moving the shelf up is the first option, then a cooling fan comes next. I'd hate to drop a channel in the Denon, 'cause it wasn't cheap!

Here's his eBay user name: roger_signss.gif (include the understrike). He makes all different kinds of signs from home theater, to poker rooms, to bars, businesses, etc. I don't have any connection to him, just happened to run across his signs while looking for something else.

Thanks

How do you like the 4810? Do you believe in the wide/high speaker efficacy? I just got a second RT12d for mine. Any comments about yours would be appreciated. Nic

I like it. I haven't tried the far wide speakers as my setup already has the mains about 18 ft apart. I do think with my arrangement, the height channels really do add to the 'wall of sound'. Then again, I got lucky and have a large room that probably benefits from height channels. My thought is that as the room gets smaller, the extra speakers (whether height or width channels) start to bunch up and the effect diminishes. I could imagine a scenario where all the speakers are so relatively close together that it doesn't really add much. But in my case, I've got two big ol' speakers that are not only 10 above, but also slightly out wider than the mains in a big room, so I do notice an expansion of the front sound stage.

To my understanding, when the height speakers are producing sound, the rear surrounds do not. Sometimes I'm aware that the heights are producing sound and every now and then, I'll notice the rears producing sound, but I've read that sound coming from the front of us is perceived better than sound coming from the rear. I usually run the receiver in 'multi channel input + Dolby PLIIz" mode, although Audyssey doesn't function in that mode. To get Audyssey to kick in, the receiver has to be in Dolby PLIIx mode.

I upgraded my bedroom theater. I used to have just one Klipsch SUB-12, but once I got rid of the ugly shelf that the KG 3.2's sat on, I needed speaker stands. After looking for good deal on another Klipsch SUB-12 for a while, I finally gave up and rolled the dice on dual Acoustic Audio RWSUB-15's. So far so good on the dual Acoustic audio subs. Only cost me $150 each.

Posted Image

Certainly not quite as impressive as some of the systems on here, but it makes me happy at the moment.

I know you're jealous of the wood paneling and beautiful tile work. Actually, I moved into the house in July of this year after having the two upper floors remodeled. This (presuming things go according to plan) area will be updated next summer.

post-45842-13819618172802_thumb.jpg

post-45842-13819621859864_thumb.jpg

Certainly not quite as impressive as some of the systems on here, but it makes me happy at the moment.

I know you're jealous of the wood paneling and beautiful tile work. Actually, I moved into the house in July of this year after having the two upper floors remodeled. This (presuming things go according to plan) area will be updated next summer.

Nice setup StephenM. I have the same cabinet for my HT. [:D]

• dtel pinned this topic