Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

"Happy Meal Syndrome"

Lol can someone please tell me what this means?

Quantity over Quality he had mentioned in a post above.

Edit: the paragraphs below are about RobC's setup, I confused his with your's.

While I agree those four may border on overkill, at the same time without hearing them it's hard to say if there is anything 'bad' happening.

I know a few guys with Yamaha's mostly that have front 'bookshelf' speaker setups like that for special effects. I am not sure if they make a difference or not, but the setups I heard sounded really good. I think it's a nice setup myself as far as looks. Just not sure if an additional stereo pair up front causes any issues like dual center channels can.

/end edit

IRT your setup, I see what he may have meant...however; that's still a quality setup even if it's a bit overkill as well. Looking like the surrounds are a 'little higher than ideal (so are mine though due the room constraints), I'd love to have rear's though but no room.

• Moderators

RobC, Your set-up is just begging for a projector with a 2.35:1 screen! I wish I had your wall.

I am seriously considering this!

Do it and don't look back? [:D]

Side Note: Not sure why people feel the need to change the "Subject" in this thread. Shake and Joker, if this happens again, I will have to confiscate your Klipsch speakers and bring them to my house. [:P] Just having fun guys. But it really does not benefit this thread by changing the Subject when replying.

Side Note: Not sure why people feel the need to change the "Subject" in this thread. Shake and Joker, if this happens again, I will have to confiscate your Klipsch speakers and bring them to my house. Stick out tongue Just having fun guys. But it really does not benefit this thread by changing the Subject when replying.

That's why. [:P] [;)]

Actually I agree with you Youth, this was done for fun but the original title of this thread Let's see YOUR Home Theater should be kept on this thread.

You are very lucky to have a rectangular room. This is the best place to start and a great space to choose for a home theater. The problems lie in speaker placement and seating position. My suggestion is to pull the speakers away from the front wall and away from the side walls. I also encourage placing the center channel as close to ear level as possible. The seating position looks to be almost dead center of the room. This is a known null area acoustically and is to be avoided. It can be worse than sitting against a back wall. It is all correctable and testing with an SPL meter will go a long way to improve frequency response across the range. 7.1 is a nice luxury but should not be at the expense of compromising the rest of the system. There is very little material available that takes advantage of the rear channels so ROI is marginal.

Here are a couple of links to get you pointed in the right direction. Don't try to digest it all at once or you will go cross eyed but it should help you get the most out of your equipment and show you where to start to get the most out of your speakers and subwoofer(s). Properly placed to avoid spikes and to broaden the sweet spot can really enhance the benefits of multiple subwoofers.

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Technologyleadership/Pages/WhitePapers.aspx?CategoryID=White papers

As you surmised, I use a Harmony 1000 with IR. No lights in the seating area to distract one from the audio/video experience. All the furniture is easy to move to the sides of the room for serious audio listening (a small compromise when sharing a space and considering the acoustic advantages of such a room). Frequency sweep testing shows a 9dB spike at 70Hz. The rest of the frequency range is within +\-3dB. What you do not see is the acoustically isolated floors. The only real boundary concern in a room that is over 6624ft3. The problem with a room this size is not secondary reflections or bass reinforcement, it is filling the space with sound and still meeting THX reference levels. The RSW15 will hit 97dB in my room at 20Hz and its frequency response is +/-3dB from 25 to 63Hz producing 113dB with less than 10%THD!!!!

Happy Meal Syndrome defined = quantity over quality = 7.1 over proper speaker/subwoofer placement and seating distance. It is so easy to get lost in the hardware that one may not be aware how much more important the latter is.

You are very lucky to have a rectangular room. This is the best place to start and a great space to choose for a home theater. The problems lie in speaker placement and seating position. My suggestion is to pull the speakers away from the front wall and away from the side walls. I also encourage placing the center channel as close to ear level as possible. The seating position looks to be almost dead center of the room. This is a known null area acoustically and is to be avoided. It can be worse than sitting against a back wall. It is all correctable and testing with an SPL meter will go a long way to improve frequency response across the range. 7.1 is a nice luxury but should not be at the expense of compromising the rest of the system. There is very little material available that takes advantage of the rear channels so ROI is marginal.

Here are a couple of links to get you pointed in the right direction. Don't try to digest it all at once or you will go cross eyed but it should help you get the most out of your equipment and show you where to start to get the most out of your speakers and subwoofer(s). Properly placed to avoid spikes and to broaden the sweet spot can really enhance the benefits of multiple subwoofers.

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Technologyleadership/Pages/WhitePapers.aspx?CategoryID=White papers

My couch isn’t in the middle of the room. I’m very aware of

the middle of the room bass problems. My center channel is angled right at ear

level and sounds amazing. My front speakers are almost 2ft from the back wall. I

actually like them a little closer to the back wall but the svs sub is so deep I

had to pull them out more to make the whole stage flush. I would love to move

the front speakers away from the side walls more but it’s a narrow room so it’s

that or keeping them separate from the center enough to have good separation. I

tried both and my picture tells you what sounded better. I just upgraded to 7.1 and moved nothing to

fit it so not sure what I compromised to have 7.1. As for room response here is

my bass response at the LP. Not perfect but pretty flat. You have a nice set up

Westcott I hope you set it up the way you like it. I know I did. [:D]

I very much prefer to have my screen at eye level rather than my center at ear level, but we all make compromises, and finding the right compromise can be a lot of fun!

I very much prefer to have my screen at eye level rather than my center at ear level, but we all make compromises, and finding the right compromise can be a lot of fun!

Definitely the screen height is more important and too many people make a bad mistake putting their screen display too high.

The center can be either above or below the screen, unless using an acoustically transparent screen with a center behind the screen. The most important thing for center channel placement is for dialog to appear to come from the screen and actors and not to be noticeable that it comes from a speaker near the screen. Next try to match the center speaker height as close as possible to match the left and right mains, this is where a compromise is usually made but when done well it is almost unnoticeable.

moved the subs out of the rear wall cutouts? That was a lot of work for you. You must prefer them on the floor on the front. - I dont' blame you. Next you should try simply stacking them in the identical position when you figure out where the best location would be. You may like that better as well.

moved the subs out of the rear wall cutouts? That was a lot of work for you. You must prefer them on the floor on the front. - I dont' blame you. Next you should try simply stacking them in the identical position when you figure out where the best location would be. You may like that better as well.

No just replacing the subs with different ones. I'll update when the new subs cone in. The subs upfront now are only 10 inch subs. I specifically wanted smaller subs for the front stage. BTW brunt has my old a5's and he did try stacking them. We also tried both upfront and behind also 1 in front and 1 behind the listening position. In his room we found both behind the seating position to be the best.

No just replacing the subs with different ones. I'll update when the new subs cone in. The subs upfront now are only 10 inch subs. I specifically wanted smaller subs for the front stage. BTW brunt has my old a5's and he did try stacking them. We also tried both upfront and behind also 1 in front and 1 behind the listening position. In his room we found both behind the seating position to be the best.

I posted in Powered Subwoofer section sharing our findings...don't know why, no one ever posts there! lol

Reference Head, that is a VERY nice setup. Everything is in just the right place and the best you would want and arrange in that space for 7.1 !

...........Gary

I call this the "Happy Meal Syndrome". Quantity over quality.
So you are saying NOT to have any headroom??? You say quanity over quality?? That is plain silly because I see a LOT of quality in his set-up! So I guess my set-up is the same...well I dont like Mcdonalds. Another point is this.... it is HIS system and he is very proud of what he has and he should be, is there a real reason to knock his system?

img0662ya.jpg

Dude, given any thought to a projector? You've got thousands tied up in a dedicated room and that display looks small-ish. I'm not trying to be a dick or comment on people's personal finances, but you've proved by posting this pic that you clearly can afford a projector. It looks like you've got the wall space for one too! Maybe the perspective of the pic is throwing me off.

Reference Head, that is a VERY nice setup. Everything is in just the right place and the best you would want and arrange in that space for 7.1 !

...........Gary

I call this the "Happy Meal Syndrome". Quantity over quality.
So you are saying NOT to have any headroom??? You say quanity over quality?? That is plain silly because I see a LOT of quality in his set-up! So I guess my set-up is the same...well I dont like Mcdonalds. Another point is this.... it is HIS system and he is very proud of what he has and he should be, is there a real reason to knock his system?

img0662ya.jpg

Dude, given any thought to a projector? You've got thousands tied up in a dedicated room and that display looks small-ish. I'm not trying to be a dick or comment on people's personal finances, but you've proved by posting this pic that you clearly can afford a projector. It looks like you've got the wall space for one too! Maybe the perspective of the pic is throwing me off.
That display is 64" so it is a bit small...my room is 27' X 28' X 8 ' how much is a projector...I could maybe a order one this weekend.....I also need some auralex sound treatments.

If you do get a projector, do a bit of research. A good picture starts at just over $1000.00, but if you want a 2.35:1 picture that will cost closer to $2000.00 . Of course they go up from there. Screens or screen paint start aroung $250.00, but most people spend closer to $1000.00. Again, size matters here, so the bigger you go the more you'll spend.

If you do get a projector, do a bit of research. A good picture starts at just over $1000.00, but if you want a 2.35:1 picture that will cost closer to $2000.00 . Of course they go up from there. Screens or screen paint start aroung $250.00, but most people spend closer to $1000.00. Again, size matters here, so the bigger you go the more you'll spend.

That is cheap!!! My Tv was over $4,000

• dtel pinned this topic