Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Hey there Indy...........nice neat setup, looks like you have ALL the components (streamlined equip.) to make it all happen. Similar to my setup, BD - AV receiver - SACD player...........NO satellite in the theater..its for.....music and movies only. Direct TV is in a number of different rooms in the house, sports and news can be watched there when needed [:)]

I have heard great things about SVS.......I am a Velodyne man, mainly because I love the nearly no distortion specs and how LOW they can play. Without me doing a research online here, can you give the my low freq. spec on yours ? Driver size?

...Thanks...........Gary

Hey there Indy...........nice neat setup, looks like you have ALL the components (streamlined equip.) to make it all happen. Similar to my setup, BD - AV receiver - SACD player...........NO satellite in the theater..its for.....music and movies only. Direct TV is in a number of different rooms in the house, sports and news can be watched there when needed Smile

I have heard great things about SVS.......I am a Velodyne man, mainly because I love the nearly no distortion specs and how LOW they can play. Without me doing a research online here, can you give the my low freq. spec on yours ? Driver size?

...Thanks...........Gary

Well I've never actually measured but the sub itself is designed to be tuned to either 20hz, 16hz, or 12hz. I have it just set to the normal 20hz and the gain somewhere around 11 o'clock and it has enough output to rattle things in my house that I thought couldn't rattle unless we had a earthquake of 7 or higher on the richter scale. I can definitely feel it drop the pressure in the room and out of a single 12" woofer!

Here is a link to a review audioholics did on the updated front firing version but mine still has the DSP or PEQ which comes in handy for room correction.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-plus

But I want another one...doesn't have to be a PB12+ but maybe a HSU, Epik, or Rythmik with similar capabilities or greater. Heck maybe even a Orbital Shifter or Captivator. I wanna see how far I can go with the Mrs. on this. See what her limits are....:)

Haha!

Adam

Thanks Indy for the link..........BOY, you are sure getting away with MUCH more then most married guys I see in ANY of the audio forums..here or on the net!.

So lucky here, get to what ever is needed... no questions asked [:D]

About subwoofers...........I remember hearing the Velodyne subs back in the mid 80ies, when they had only THREE models and they all fired downward. When they went to forward firing, I thought that was the END of a great design.... Well, I got over that quickly when my F-1500r and the F1800r came into the picture. I brought an old ANALOG signal generator to the high end audio 'salon' updtown and they let me play with one in the larger listening suite... I was amazed that I got it down to 15Hz. sine wave ! It IS rated to 16Hz by Velodyne. At 14Hz, it went quiet however.. Mind you, these subs are very LOW power (250 watts) compared to what is being made today with very SMALL drivers of 10" or 12" such as yours running into the 1000's!...

I installed a new theater (living room type) for my neighbors. I had them order a Definitive sub.. It has ONE 10" driver with TWO passive 10" radiators to the sides and a 1300 watt amp. That little thing kicks the crap out of a room measuring 14x20x10' !!! During my tests after the first day hook up, there was a crash in one of the 7' tall display cases.........Yup, a glass figure had fallen over, but lucky, NOTHING broke! I believe they listen at much lower levels then on that occasion [;)]

Ok then, I am working on photos for you all of my theater, unseen photos by the public... BEFORE the flood, DURING the flood, the demo of walls, and the rebuilding of components and the completion.....

Enjoy your theaters everyone, mine is about to come back online thank goodness!

.........Gary

I saw that picture in avs the other day. Huge cabinets! Those ED drivers better be able to put that bracing to work. Extremely jealous. I was going to get one the A7s subs ED makes but saw the SVS on audiogon and thought it was too good of a deal.

No way I would drop that much on subs

I do have to agree with you on spending that much.

Nic! I just read through your complete wait - buildup- delivery of your beloved DD-18+ ! WOW, I was right there with you [:D] Thanks for sharing...........was yours delivered on a pallet as well ?? (saw the other photo added to the tread by an eBay winner)

I am sure you are having so much fun with it... Your only in NY, not sure how far out from me, but it would be a pleasure to come out and see / hear your HT... Of course, I would extend the same to you, but it would fall shy in the 'magnetude' dept. The look of it however, you may enjoy at least [:$]... Let me know, and send me a PM if you would like.

ENJOY !

..........Gary

Hello theater lovers! Well, its been too quiet around here and its time for my 'hour' of show and tell with what has been happening over the past 11 months !!

As some may or may not know, my dedicated home theater suffered a flood that pretty much shut the entire first floor down until only a couple months back, when reconstruction was completed and all was starting to come together once again. So, FINALLY at this time, I have compiled photos dating back to the the flood while it was IN PROGRESS (nothing I could do about it, but watch the water enter room by room until 2" of standing water filled 1300 square feet of LIVING space! the entire first floor...)

Here then, is a photo of what it once looked like when used in a music listening mode....

post-23544-13819687317966_thumb.jpg

Came home after a show and dinner out, around 12 am. to THIS! We had VERY heavy rain for HOURS. It was hard taking these photos while I gave up on my efforts to try and stop the water.........a very 'beyond control' feeling comes over you at this point, and all can do is try to get as much up on WHAT EVER to save it...........I ran out of 2x4"s and just had to let stuff 'go into the drink'.....

post-23544-13819687319706_thumb.jpg

Which only a short while later turned into THIS! My poor Velodyne and audio rack took a hit...........But, at 4:00am, I was just too tired to do more and just went to bed exhausted......... Insurance dealings commenced over the next few days....

post-23544-13819687320746_thumb.jpg

Yes, she's in the water..........my worst nightmare! Luckily, the excellent design of this sub (no PUN here) is that faux marble foundation is really a separate piece from the actual cabinet, SO, in the end, it all dried out and no damage was done to the actual enclosure. My Pinnacle subwoofer in the keyboard studio however took on water, and the MDF cabinet split open along the bottom seam!

post-23544-13819687322146_thumb.jpg

Ok, time to get that messy carpet up............took two hired contractors to work on three rooms and a long hallway over the span of two evenings... Then there was all that messy foam glued to the concrete ! YUK!

post-23544-13819687323136_thumb.jpg

• dtel pinned this topic