Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Don't laugh at my massive 47" TV and my THX center stands now.  :)  Still haven't figure out how to take a decent picture of a solid black room either, always shows up as 50 shades of gray and everything else is washed out.  Still building, stay tuned. 

IMG_3414_zpse2561bf8.jpg

• Like 5

Telecaster?

Your setup looks awesome!

Thanks guys, yeah the black one is a tele.  The brown one is a hand built custom one-piece made by Rob Wave custom guitars.  It's kind of my baby, used top end flamy maple and local western Kentucky walnut. 

• Like 1

Did those new 15's make those THX subs obsolete?

Those aren't subs, they are KL-650's. They are in fact making my 18's obsolete though. I am running two UltiMax 18's in a 5 cubic foot sealed box, powered by an iNuke 6000 that can really make them flex. These things are pumping out stuff I've never heard on my 18's. Looking back the 18's were a ridiculous solution when you can just grab two of these things.

They look fantastic, just wished Klipsch didn't put that cheap plastic looking vinyl on them.

They're not even wood-grain vinyl like I think most people would expect, they just look like brushed plastic, and feel like it too. That's my only complaint.

How do they sound?

Killer. They shake the house, and I don't say that lightly. I used to compete in SPL competitions in cars and know what killer bass sounds like. These are killer. More details are in the subwoofer forum but Metallica had the house shaking last night. There is super low material in some places that was rattling heavy dishes on the other side of the house. They are killing my sealed 18's on the real low stuff. I was disappointed at first until I moved them around then figured out that the concert I was playing was the two-channel version. Swapped to 5.1 and the gates of heaven (or maybe hell) opened up, flooded the house with nasty super low bass, it was shocking, literally. I play the Metallica movie a good 3-4 times a week and am hard on my 18's and was still shocked.

Sound wise, my only complaint is that at first they sounded really boomy and muddy on the upper subwoofer frequencies. I am sending them everything below 80 hz but I also had to use the low pass crossover on the subs to kill the higher frequencies, those really did not sound good at all. Once I forced it to act like a true subwoofer they sounded great. SubEQ on Audessey may flatten things out a bit, I don't know, but I just felt that the upper realm was pretty sloppy, it sounded like cabinet resonances but I'm not sure. That's not what you hear on movies though, that's with music, it mostly happened when some bass guitar notes slipped through and was played through the subs, which is a pet peeve of mine anyway. Of course much of this could be due to running the 2 channel version but they still sounded weird. I need more time to play around with them to see if they will continue to do this with other material or even the same material but with the 5.1 version.

These would make an incredible movie subwoofer to compliment some RF-7ii's if set up right, all the super low effects are jaw dropping, I would not have expected a factory built all in one sub with a fairly weak plate amp to pump out the super low sound that they're pumping out.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

They are killing my sealed 18's on the real low stuff.
 once again a setup issue i would imagine. metro where did you say you were at again? maybe we can get someone over there to help you setup that inuke properly?

I'm in western Kentucky.  Feel free to come over.  As I said before, I can understand the whole limiter thing, but I can't imagine what you're going to do to it to get more sound out of a sub that is already flexing like crazy. 

do you have any idea how eq's work? when you just build a box and put a woofer in it it has no dsp applied. when you buy a sub from klipsch as you did it has dsp applied. it has a dsp to make that woofer sound the best in that box. your ulitmax do not. you have to measure them with NO EQ applied. then see where they need to be boosted or cut to be flat for the best eq as klipsch has done. benefit of diy is you do it in your room. klipsch does it in a chamber and then your room is a bit different so your receiver will try and correct for that. your sealed sub most likely need eq boosted down low. 

and just because speakers flex like crazy doesn't mean they sound good   ;)

Edited by Scrappydue

do you have any idea how eq's work?

While I truly enjoy friendly debates, especially with interesting guys who seem to be of the same mindset such as yourself, let's just say that it irks me when someone assumes they are talking to an idiot just because that someone's ideas question their existing beliefs.

Yes, I have an electrical engineering degree and have helped NASA / Raytheon / Stellex / MA-COM / Filtronic / Tyco / Texas Instuments, and others choose semiconductor chips to use in petty little projects such as the space shuttle, military satellites, and Patriot missles. I actually started college with the goal of being an audio engineer who wires up and sets up concerts, but then got sidetracked with the whole .com boom plus meeting a girl who didn't want to travel far from home. I have built my own amps as well as things like capacitance meters, not just sub boxes and stupid little 5-6 component crossovers. Yes I am pretty sure that I know the basics of how an EQ works. Thanks for asking though. :)

I'm just going to step out at this point, this is clogging up several threads. I would love some help setting up my iNuke and I'll just leave it at that. However, I'm not entirely sure why somebody would hang out at a Klipsch forum so much while talking about subs so much, if they're not willing to accept that maybe Klipsch can in fact make some badass subs though, kind of odd.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Metropolis Lake Outfitter, what size is the room?  This may be the deciding answer on why the 15 in. subs are working well for you.

15x20'4". The original idea was that I'd build tall Ultimax boxes and park KL-650's on top but it didn't really work, I had a similar effect as if they were behind me, I got the concussion of the driver but no real sub-bass.

Moved the ultimax's to behind me and like I mentioned earlier, serious rear staging, which just isn't right.

Tried the corners but apparently corners work best for down-firing subs. Didn't have the effect I was after.

Seemed to work best if I put them on the sides, flat up against the wall, actually a little towards the front of the room. I got good and pretty low bass here but I still had hot spots in the room. The middle of the room was dead. Sitting on the edge of my seats whose back is 4' from the wall is dead. Sitting back in my seats, reclining, or standing behind them, lots of bass though, really weird.

Tried the same location with the Klipsch 15's. The front location did the same thing. Side location, which was awesome with the Ultimax, was really mushy.

Tried the front corners. Tried backing off a little and turning them backwards. Tried the rear corners. Nothing special.

Put them behind the seats and WOW. I don't know what it is but I like it, maybe not in every situation, but generally speaking, it's nice.

Telecaster?

Thanks guys, yeah the black one is a tele.  The brown one is a hand built custom one-piece made by Rob Wave custom guitars.  It's kind of my baby, used top end flamy maple and local western Kentucky walnut. 

answered my question…i was wondering what the one hanging on the wall was…i’m a guitar guy so i notice them right away. Got nine of them in my living room as i write this.  My latest purchase was a 60th Anniversary Stratocaster (desert sand color with gold hardware--very nice). My baby is a Antique Cherry Red Brian May Rhapsody Acoustic.  I’ve met him several times and he helped me get one (nobody in the US sells them) so since it has a “story” associated with it--it’s got a special meaning to me. Sent a guy in London named Andrew Guyton an email about getting a guitar made; but, haven’t heard back yet--just as well as I’m sure he’d charge a fortune. If he doesn’t reply…next on the list for me is another “bucket list” guitar … Rickenbacker.  Your guitars and setup look great. Way to go!

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

Metropolis Lake Outfitter, what size is the room? This may be the deciding answer on why the 15 in. subs are working well for you.

15x20'4". The original idea was that I'd build tall Ultimax boxes and park KL-650's on top but it didn't really work, I had a similar effect as if they were behind me, I got the concussion of the driver but no real sub-bass.

Moved the ultimax's to behind me and like I mentioned earlier, serious rear staging, which just isn't right.

Tried the corners but apparently corners work best for down-firing subs. Didn't have the effect I was after.

Seemed to work best if I put them on the sides, flat up against the wall, actually a little towards the front of the room. I got good and pretty low bass here but I still had hot spots in the room. The middle of the room was dead. Sitting on the edge of my seats whose back is 4' from the wall is dead. Sitting back in my seats, reclining, or standing behind them, lots of bass though, really weird.

Tried the same location with the Klipsch 15's. The front location did the same thing. Side location, which was awesome with the Ultimax, was really mushy.

Tried the front corners. Tried backing off a little and turning them backwards. Tried the rear corners. Nothing special.

Put them behind the seats and WOW. I don't know what it is but I like it, maybe not in every situation, but generally speaking, it's nice.

ok well let me apologize if I offended you last night. Not my intentions. But the inuke can do ALOT of different things. I cannot for the life of remember how it is set up from the factory. But with what you just described makes me think it isn't set up right. For instance the phases could be jacked up and that is what they only sound good in one spot. The delay could be not setup and that is why the sounded funky behind you. And then if the eq is not set up perfect, you will get that "no sub bass" you mentioned. The limiters have nothing to do with it by the way. Those are for subs like my little 6.5" horn subs where I limit power to 99 watts so I don't blow them up. Don't have to do that on sealed ultimax although if you were bottoming them out I guess you could have been feeding them too much power.

The reason I was saying comparing one ported to dual sealed is cause I had read you say it was pretty dang good at normal volumes. And also we all know it does usually take a couple sealed to equal a single ported below say 50hz. And I also I think of $$$$'s to. 899 lost for the Klipsch can build you two sealed si's like I have. So to me it should be a "fair fight".

I compared my Svs cause they are one of the best ported you can buy and I payed 4,000 for them and only 2296$ for my sealed 18's.

And the reason I hate on Klipsch subs so much on a Klipsch forum is that I love Klipsch so much I hope they read them all and figure there are a lot of us out here that know their subs have went downhill fast since the rsw line and maybe they will get their stuff straight and figure it out. Maybe they are turning it around with this new sub. But when I heard you say the subs were boomy in the upper frequencies it made me think of every other Klipsch sub I've heard. Be honest for 900 a sub shouldn't be boomy. You could get an Svs PB-2000 for the same price and I bet it would be neck and neck output wise with no boominess at all. Klipsch CAN make good subs. I've owned a few of them. The last one being one of their cinema series. Wish it wasn't so big but dang! It was such a clean sub. And flat to 18hz in my room. That is plenty low for most material. They are too busy wrapping them in brushed vinyl and making the drivers copper to match instead of really making a top shelf sub again.

Now that should of hit all my points in any thread we have been talking about all this. Sorry to take up multiple. If we wanna talk anymore let's take it to pm. AND if you ever wanna try and figure if that inuke settings could help ya out message me and I'll send ya my number. I promise I'm not a bad guy. Ask many other members I talk to frequently over the phone. I'd be more than happy to help. The inuke and sealed 18's are just awesome and I can't recommend them enough. Although I haven't heard the ultimax but I bet they would beat my si's.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Telecaster?

answered my question…i was wondering what the one hanging on the wall was…i’m a guitar guy so i notice them right away. Got nine of them in my living room as i write this.  My latest purchase was a 60th Anniversary Stratocaster (desert sand color with gold hardware--very nice). My baby is a Antique Cherry Red Brian May Rhapsody Acoustic.  I’ve met him several times and he helped me get one (nobody in the US sells them) so since it has a “story” associated with it--it’s got a special meaning to me. Sent a guy in London named Andrew Guyton an email about getting a guitar made; but, haven’t heard back yet--just as well as I’m sure he’d charge a fortune. If he doesn’t reply…next on the list for me is another “bucket list” guitar … Rickenbacker.  Your guitars and setup look great. Way to go!

Always wanted a 4001

• dtel pinned this topic