Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Wow, really nice setup Tony.

I've just started playing around with a 5.2 system in my shop. Started with a pair of MCM 1900 stacks for the fronts. A dinky little KG 3.2 for the center until I can find a suitable replacement. Lastly, I'm using a pair of Klipschorns for the surrounds and a couple of PSA v1800 subs.

Ive got a pretty large space to fill at 14,000 cubic feet, so will probably need to add 2 more v1800 or a v3600 in the future.

Thanks. Sweet. 14,000 cubic feet is a lot of space to fill...have you seen their Triad sub?

Some things that will change in the photos below...

The alcoholic beverages need to be consumed before they break from vibrating off the shelf, lol.

Secured with double sided tape.

Nice system.  How do you like the Atmos modules?

I like them a lot. That being said, if you're going to do it at all, you may as well do all 4. Adding the RP-280FAs (to replace my RS-62IIs) made all the difference in the world. The RP-140SAs up front increase the front sound stage to about 1 o'clock from your MLP if you know what I mean. By adding the surround Atmos speakers, it completed the dome of sound effect. I have totally flat 9'5" foot ceilings, so the environment suits the up-firing modules well. I've had visitors over and played the Atmos demos and they always leave impressed. I don't explain anything to them, I just play them. The other night, I was watching The Expanse on Syfy and there was a missile launch scene where they distinctly flew over my head toward my front wall. That was pretty cool and that was using Dolby Surround Upmixing, not even real Atmos. I'm very happy with the upgrade. I think a lot of us try and push the limits of what our homes can reasonably support (and our wallets!) and I have reached a point where my improvements will be incremental unless I totally replace my front sound stage with something even bigger, which is highly doubtful unless I win the lotto and move :) .

• Like 1

wvVCKu9.jpg?2

Question: Your center channel seems quite low, with a good 30-45degree angle. Does that alter sound at all with side to side panning? Also, do you notice the center channel reflects off of the ceiling ??

I ask because I'll be doing a rather low center channel with an 11* angle (according to my poor math skills for listening distance)

Just curious if you notice any artifacts from that setup?

• Like 1

Question: Your center channel seems quite low, with a good 30-45degree angle. Does that alter sound at all with side to side panning? Also, do you notice the center channel reflects off of the ceiling ??

I ask because I'll be doing a rather low center channel with an 11* angle (according to my poor math skills for listening distance)

Just curious if you notice any artifacts from that setup?

The panning is perfectly fine. It took a little tinkering to get the correct angle (the stand is adjustable), but it works well. For example, using the Atmos Demo "Amaze", the bird flies 360 degrees around my head and it sounds seamless in terms of planar location. As far as ceiling reflections from the center channel, I haven't noticed any from the MLP or even when I set an impromptu row of seats behind the theater chairs. It probably exists at some point in the room, but not noticeable for the audience.

Great looking system!  I'm debating rotating my room so the speakers will be on the long wall  - right now they are squeezed into a small area with only about 8 feet of overall width.  I can potentially change things up and have the front sound stage be on a 13 foot wall, which seems like it would really help the overall sound.  My only issue is with the way the room is, the main seats in the couch would only be 8-8.5 feet away from the TV (65" Samsung). Judging by your picture it looks like your layout may be similar to what I may end up with and your TV is a similar size (64").  If the distance from the TV is similar (8.5 feet), have you been happy with the overall set up does it seem like it is too close?  This may seem like a crazy question to some on here with 120" screens that they sit 8 feet from  :) but when I tried a trial run for an hour this weekend it seemed like it may lead to some eye strain.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Finally got a breather now that busy season is over and decided to post a few updates...

I replaced my RC-64 II center speaker with an RF-7 II for the center channel. I replaced all speaker wire with Belden 10 gauge AWG 99.99% oxygen free multi-stranded speaker wire with Sewell Direct deadbolt banana plugs on both ends.

46_zpsvbeixzi2.jpg

50_zpsbr1182m4.jpg

47_zpsvtrpvazr.jpg

53_zps9vdlszpl.jpg

54_zps7wishs2g.jpg

Edited by Tonycpa

I stacked the four Klipsch R-115SW subs in the front of the room. So, they are all corner loaded in the front of the room (while the PSA V3600i dual 18" subs remain corner loaded in the back of the room). All 6 subs are hooked up using SVS Soundpath interconnects.

55_zps7r7qfpf1.jpg

48_zpswflccch4.jpg

49_zpsltrfouaa.jpg

Edited by Tonycpa
  • Like 2

I got rid of the TV stand and replaced it with a Middle Atlantic Essex RCS-2724 rack with fans. It is placed in the back of the room to: a) eliminate distracting lights in the front of the room, remove all wires, clutter and audio equipment from under the screen, and c) allow all HDMI connections to decrease from 50' to under 5' (since the Epson projector is in the back of the room). The Denon AVR-X5200W is now connected to my Asus router using Vandesail CAT 7 high-speed twisted pair copper wires. The Optimum cable box and Modem are connected to the wall using Mediabridge Ultra series coaxial cables. The PS4, Amazon FireTV, Optimum cable box and Epson projector are connected to the Denon using Mediabridge Ultra series HDMI cables.

I had an electrician re-wire the room for a 200amp meter upgrade panel and 5 dedicated 20amp circuits (1 for each of my PSA V3600i subs, 2 for my ATI AT6005 amp and 1 for my ATI AT4006 amp). Both of my Morris Kessler Signature Series amps are placed on heavy duty telescopic shelves.

56_zpsaj6uisdf.jpg

57_zpssbywlrgs.jpg

I used a variety of cable management solutions in the room including: a) Legrand cable raceways, split loom tubing, c) Velcro one-wrap thin self-gripping cable ties and d) Gaffer Power professional premium grade tape. I also built a custom platform in front of the main entrance to the room, so all wires coming from the left side of the room to the AV rack would remain separated and hidden. I used Velcro industrial strength strips to secure the platform to the floor to provide cushioning and to allow the platform to easily be lifted in case I need to access the wires in the future.

51_zps1nuhaldf.jpg

52_zpsh5hkkvxq.jpg

Much more still to come including: 1) room acoustics, 2) audio calibration using Audyssey and manual adjustments and 3) video calibration. As previously mentioned a few room acoustic basics already incorporated in the room include: a) recliners equidistant between the side walls, several feet from the rear wall and equal distance from the screen to the front main speakers, window is covered by thermal insulated blackout curtain to contain all light and prevent sound from reflecting off the glass, c) rug to absorb and prevent reflections from the floor, d) 5' tall bookshelves on both side walls, e) the use of Audyssey room correction software, etc etc.

Today, I will be wrapping Auralex acoustics ISO Series MoPad-XL monitor acoustic isolation pads in black (I don't know why they only come in grey). These pads will angle all 6 RB-81 II bookshelf speakers downward toward the listening position as well as improve the sound by decreasing resonance.

Edited by Tonycpa
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here's my front set up.

Yes, those are RP-280Fs with Atmos up speakers on the side. RP-450c in middle.

I had the space in my loft to have put in a 175" projector screen, so the speakers look tiny in comparison.

Moving RP-250s' to side soon.

Need to get back speakers but debating RP-280F's or RP-180M's in back since have bookcase in back would hold them at ear level and feel that the floors might be mostly pointing at back of couch, which seems wasteful (front are 14' to couch, back would only be 4' on floor, 5' in bookcase)

Jay

post-63131-0-33440000-1463108224_thumb.j

• Like 2

• dtel pinned this topic