Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Man Raptor with those good sized Klipsch mains, and a itty bitty tiny little M&K center - Yikes! You really need a bigger center there is no way that thing can compete with the Klipsch's. Weren't you looking into a Klipsh center? I would be interested in the DBX 3BX-III if you still have.

yea, that was me, I'm posting from work and forgot my home login. I would truly love to have the Academy but the wife has put both feet down and will not approve any "frivilous" purchases. In her defense, she is deaf in one ear and almost so in the other (not joking here, we've been spending some quality time lately getting eardrum rebuilds for her).And while I'm here, let me take the oppurtunity to apologize to several folks for lack of followup on the Academy dealings.

First off once again some great systems and theaters. They give me lots of ideas on how to finish mine up.

Ok I have finally made some progress on my front projection system. Just a little background on the equipment. I purchased the notebook for a buck, the projector for $10.00, the Klipsch GMX 5.1 amp/sub/decoder for $50, the APEX DVD player for $50, and I have been collecting the Heresy's over a period of 4 years with a front projection system in mind. So this is really HT on the cheap.

A friend of mine knew someone who was giving away a screen and he asked me if I wanted it. I said YES!. So I have finally have it mounted and this is what it looks like now. Before this the room was rotated 180 deg and I was projecting on the wall.

Front Shot with the Screen up:

fp42705front.jpg

Front Shot with the Screen down:

fp42705frontscreen.jpg

Front Shot with no lights on in the room:

fp42705frontnolights.jpg

Shot of the Projector, XBox, HTPC (Notebook), etc...

fp42705back.jpg

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 4/29/2005 7:49:15 AM dougdrake wrote:

Hey there, eq - that's a great theater on a shoestring budget, for sure. Do you have room to pull the chairs further into the room and put the Heresy surrounds back towards the corners? They look like killer headphones as they are now
:)

Doug
----------------

You know what? I never thought of that and neither has anyone who has come over. I will give that a whirl this weekend. I am toying with the idea of mounting them up close to the ceiling but your idea may work as well.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 4/29/2005 7:17:02 PM dougdrake wrote:

Jeff - You could also try putting the Heresy's in the corner and have them face into the corner, to difuse the sound so it's more reflected and less directional. OTOH, you might think that sucks, so whatever you like best
9.gif

----------------

These are not Bose!

6.gif

Seriously, that's weird!

2.gif

psg - Have you tried sitting 2 feet away from a Heresy pointed at your head? :) The function of surrounds in a 5.1 theater system is to provide non-localized effects. Hard to achieve that with a speaker of that capacity firing directly at your ears. He can try it and change it back if he doesn't like it, right?

My HT project started another phase today and I thought you guys might wanna see some trim work that's been done. This first pic shows what the room looked like before we decided to go the front projector route.

HTright.jpg

And here's the room before the trim went in.

NoTrim1.jpg

NoTrim2.jpg

And here's the installed trim. Now comes the puttying, caulking, painting, and wallpaper. Oh Laura.....it's your turn.11.gif

Trim1.jpg

Trim2.jpg

Trim3.jpg

Trim4.jpg

Tom

Hey Tom, your room looks very similar to the room I recently completed. The trim work you are doing has been in the back of my mind since day one, could you tell the the height of the trim? I am simply curious of your room dimensions and wall height. Great job on the carpentry so far and please keep us posted.

Northshore

On 4/30/2005 9:40:58 AM dougdrake wrote:

psg - Have you tried sitting 2 feet away from a Heresy pointed at your head?
:)
The function of surrounds in a 5.1 theater system is to provide non-localized effects. Hard to achieve that with a speaker of that capacity firing directly at your ears. He can try it and change it back if he doesn't like it, right?

I agree than the seating arrangement shown in the picture can't possibly work well. Putting the Heresy's in the corners and sitting further into the room would help quite a bit.

But you're right. Anything is probably better than 2 feet away from a Heresy! 1.gif

This is getting kinda spooky Northshore....not only do we have similar rooms shape-wise, but I'm doing trim work you've thought about doing and you did some ceiling treatments I had thought about doing.

Are we leading parallel lives????1.gif

Anywho....my kneewalls (the sides) are 6' high. The trim work started slight below that and was built out and then up. The top of the upper crown moulding is probably 6'8" or so. The columns are approx. 20" wide by 6" deep.

Tom

• dtel pinned this topic