Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

• Moderators

Fantastic looking room Gary! Beautiful wood floors, curtains to help offset the acoustics from the hardwood floors, lovely sconces. Just a great, all around classy room. Very commendable job you have done.

Do have a question, can you share details on what you used to black out your windows? I have a long window and a double sliding glass door that I need to blackout. Would love to get some info on what material you used as my HT would greatly benefit blacked out windows during the day.

Goodness! Well, what lovely responses from all the home theater fans here ! [:D] So many questions to answer now.... [:o] Well, I will get to them asap... But first, I am rounding up the newest photos that I just finished taking and want to start the followup posting here .

Hang on, they will be coming up next. [;)]

..........Gary

Here we go..........................Rick, I know you wanted to get a look at the main rack, so here it is with the black velvet mini curtains removed (don't want to see ANY gear illumination during the 'performance' yet its nice, the remotes work fine when drawn [;)] )

This is a VERY stripped down, basic setup...

The bottom shelf and the heart of the theater, is the Onkyo TX-SR-606 AV which many of you are familiar with..

Upper left is the trusty Philips DVD-7955A changer. Used mainly for true multi-channel SACDs (and CDs). I cheated the analog inputs to the rear speakers by activating the REAR surrounds of the 7.1 (for SACD) , just not used to the side surrounds for music yet...

Upper right, a Panasonic DMP-BD-55 player... About to get a WIFI router so I can check out the BD 'Live' feature and save files to the built in SD card..

Video - Vizio 47" LCD - 120Hz.

All speakers are older Pinnacle 'Audio Cinema' models.........

Mains - AC-850ies (their old flagship)

Center (hidden) PN-50

All rears AC-500's

Subwoofer, older Velodyne F-1500-R as seen in the flood photos...

Next up: the TWO CHANNEL rack.......... A totally independent system in the same theater! [:D]

post-23544-13819687418296_thumb.jpg

Here then is the added feature.............. At the rear wall, all the vintage gear has been placed on a new glass and steel rack.. You can see the pair of Dynaco MKIII mono blocks with the companion PAS 2 preamp, all seen before, but in another space in the house.. but now has come to live here, in the Longfellow Music and Movie House. [;)]

post-23544-13819687425866_thumb.jpg

Shall we draw the velvet drapes up front now ???

Hidden and now brought into view.............the K'Horns !! [<:o)] ............and, they sound fabulous in this little room [:D]

They were a b***tch to get from the music room and into the theater single handed. A hand truck, removed TWO doors and it became possible... I am glad THAT move is overwith !

One more photo taken from the FLOOR on a little tripod..

post-23544-13819687427796_thumb.jpg

Ok, FINAL photo... Here, with the camera set at about 10" off the rear floor, a shot of the right channel. The ceiling (LED) cove lighting and such can be seen with a bit better detail...

Thats all of it for now... Time to sit back and enjoy [:D]

(ok, whos coming over for a demo?)

Thanks for looking...

...........Gary

post-23544-13819687428576_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pite !

Youthman....

To answer the question about blacking out.... In this case, the windows still exsist of course but.. For now, they are blocked and unusable as long as the theater is there...

In your case, you still want to use your windows and slider correct? So, this may not work for you.. I bought a 8x10' GREEN tarp... These have a BLACK side to them.. I cut them (2 for each window) oversize so they could be pinned neatly AROUND the outside of the window casings and not the walls..insuring NO light leakage.

When you see the house from the outside, it just looks like a window with no shades or curtains, just blackness... Then I added the foam insulation (2") over them, just to keep the outside noises down a tad... (they are double pane glass as well)

Further, the curtains really make the space dead, so the wall reflections are not a factor and bass is really good no matter where in the room you go, which is nice jand also help to keep outside sounds quieter.

NEXT answer: Lets see, where in Western MA ? Holyoke area...

Hey Nicky! I would be glad to help you with the curtain ideas............Keyboard for the visit? Just have to pic one...[:)]

About all for now...

Again, thanks for checkin' it all out [;)]

.......Gary

• Moderators

In your case, you still want to use your windows and slider correct?

My room is a dedicated HT room. As long as I'm living there, it will likely remain that way. We never use the sliding glass door behind the curtains on the left in the photo below due to the curtains and the speaker hanging directly in front of the glass doors. It opens to the back patio which can easily be accessed by a single door just outside and adjacent to the HT, so again, no need for the doors there.

Back_Wall_small.jpg

And here you can see some older pictures during the HT build of the long window on the opposite wall hidden behind the curtains.

Room01.jpg

Room05.jpg

Here we go..........................Rick, I know you wanted to get a look at the main rack, so here it is with the black velvet mini curtains removed (don't want to see ANY gear illumination during the 'performance' yet its nice, the remotes work fine when drawn Wink )

This is a VERY stripped down, basic setup...

The bottom shelf and the heart of the theater, is the Onkyo TX-SR-606 AV which many of you are familiar with..

Upper left is the trusty Philips DVD-7955A changer. Used mainly for true multi-channel SACDs (and CDs). I cheated the analog inputs to the rear speakers by activating the REAR surrounds of the 7.1 (for SACD) , just not used to the side surrounds for music yet...

Upper right, a Panasonic DMP-BD-55 player... About to get a WIFI router so I can check out the BD 'Live' feature and save files to the built in SD card..

Video - Vizio 47" LCD - 120Hz.

All speakers are older Pinnacle 'Audio Cinema' models.........

Mains - AC-850ies (their old flagship)

Center (hidden) PN-50

All rears AC-500's

Subwoofer, older Velodyne F-1500-R as seen in the flood photos...

Next up: the TWO CHANNEL rack.......... A totally independent system in the same theater! Big Smile

Gary,

It all looks great, fantastic job my friend!! [Y]

In your case, you still want to use your windows and slider correct?

My room is a dedicated HT room. As long as I'm living there, it will likely remain that way. We never use the sliding glass door behind the curtains on the left in the photo below due to the curtains and the speaker hanging directly in front of the glass doors. It opens to the back patio which can easily be accessed by a single door just outside and adjacent to the HT, so again, no need for the doors there.

Back_Wall_small.jpg

And here you can see some older pictures during the HT build of the long window on the opposite wall hidden behind the curtains.

Room01.jpg

Room05.jpg

Very well done as well!! [H]

Hey there Youthman, ok, I remember these photos............Go for the GREEN tarp, cut it up in two matching 'panels' to go over your sliding door with the green side toward the interior (black toward outside). This will take care of ANY light leaking into your HT...

Room still looks great, did you do more to the front screen area? I would have a blast with curtains in your room [:)] Mine as you have seen are a satin red, similar to your glass slider section. But nothing beats real black velvet drapes up front [:D]

Let me know what you decide, the tarp worked for me and didn't cost much at all...

..Gary

Tigerman...WOW! I love what you did with the Khorns and with the vintage gear in the rear!!! Beautiful room as well.

Youth, I have three windows similar to yours in my HT. I cut out a piece of wood to fit and put foam insulation on the back, painted the front and added a handle (hinges will be added to the bottom). It will act as a shutter, but pretty much looks like the wall. If I want light I will just pull down the shutter...

post-48136-13819687444386_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much CornFed for your compliments of the theater rebuild photos [:)] ... The window treatments YOU have made are similar to an idea that I also entertained, but figured it would be alot of work, besides which, they are not seen due to the full surround drapes...

You also have a nice room there! I am still working on genuine theater seating and I found a site that has them. About $300 each.. They are the real deal, and can be adapted for pitched and NON-pitched floors and in any color and fabric you can think of !

Again, thanks for taking a look at the photo essay...

............Gary

Finally got a sub so here's a pic.

The KLF 20s are not a part of the system. They are for 2CH.

Fronts - CF3 and RF-35s Centers - Academy and KLF C7, Rears - KG 5.2s, No surrounds, Sub KSW 15

Yamaha RX V1500, Samsung 42inchmuchtoosmallcantwaittoupgradetoatleasta50" Plasma

post-32617-13819687507006_thumb.jpg

Hey there Oldmako.... Don't you worry, we all start out somewhere. I remember how thrilled I was when I lived at home with my folks and had my first Dolby Pro Logic system. Little Radioshack 13" color tv, HiFi VCR (DVD's were not around then) all in my BEDROOM! Would you believe I had friends over that were amazed ? Oh, the old school days [;)]

Over time, you'll organize and RE-organize until you get an arrangement your completely happy with, well, almost [:)]

Enjoy the new sub !

.......Gary

If you've checked out the completed theater a few pages back, you'll see what a beginner's ProLogic system can turn into [Y]

Oldmako, I had that sub a couple of years ago it was a great sub I had it in 11x22 room and it shooked me pretty good. Now like you said a low book shelve or some sort of a entertainment center will hide all of that and really tie the room together.

• dtel pinned this topic