???40 hz???

matthew2

Im wondering if someone could answer me a question. I was looking at Technics recievers, and the specs were intresting. It stated the freq' responce was " 40HZ - 20KHZ " 40 HZ isnt very low. Im hoping I dont understand something for technics sake. Im no audiofile, but once a guy told me every amp had to go to 20HZ. Is the 40HZ thing just the frequency range they used to measure the THD??

------------------

Matthew

matthew2

I have seen advertised specs on a very few low, low, low dollar receievers that only rated power down to 40hz. I've seen a number of inexpensive multi-channel receivers that only quoted power figures at 1000hz, too. It takes more current to drive speakers at low frequencies, and the smaller power supplies of cheap electronics can't deliver.

------------------

JDMcCall

Many less expensive receivers and some tube amps (such as Conrad Johnson, I believe) quote power spec's using a low end frequency cutoff higher than 20hz. I suspect that their power and/or distortion levels deteriorate quite rapidly below their cutoff point, so they raise the point to where the specs are better. I personally would not consider one of those receivers except for spare room/background music listening

quote:

Originally posted by James D McCall:

matthew2

I have seen advertised specs on a very few low, low, low dollar receievers that only rated power down to 40hz. I've seen a number of inexpensive multi-channel receivers that only quoted power figures at 1000hz, too. It takes more current to drive speakers at low frequencies, and the smaller power supplies of cheap electronics can't deliver.

I think you hit the nail on the head James. To reach the broad maket at an affordable point, some HT receiver manufacturers will trade off power to meet this requirement.

I was reading on Yamaha's website one time and was comparing a receiver from the HTR line and the RX line that were basically the same receivers for different distribution chains. The HTR line rated power at 1000 HZ while the RX line rated it from 20-20K Hz. They say on their website that the amps are identical but they are rated this way because the standard for rating power in specialty shops was 20-20k Hz and the standard for mass retail was to show power at 1000 Hz.

This message has been edited by Gnomore on 07-13-2001 at 02:39 PM

The onkyo's have WRAT. (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) They start from 20 Hz and go up to 100kHz !!

But these are cut off frequenties, so they go beyond that.

It is nice to be far from these cut off frequencies so that distortion in the operation area is almost absent.

Like Kevin Said: "Many less expensive receivers and some tube amps quote power spec's using a low end frequency cutoff higher than 20hz. I suspect that their power and/or distortion levels deteriorate quite rapidly below their cutoff point, so they raise the point to where the specs are better."

They give just the range of flat response.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3