ProMedia 5.1 Tests and Reviews

No KIDDING!!!! My daily search of the review sites for Klipsch 5.1 reviews is starting to become very teedious. And whats with the comment from the gamers depot on the main page for teh 5.1's. Where is this review that they are supposedly quoteing from?

errr, that's a bit above my limit Smile.gif

But if they're really worth it, I'll go for it!

BTW: Will I be able to take full advantage of the 5.1 set with my SB Live 1024? It's one of the cheaper SBlive cards out there.

------------------

Greets, iNFERNiS

Screw the SB Live 5.1, get the Philips Acoustic Edge! Quality wise, it'll be a bit bettre then the SB Live 5.1, it's about the same price, AND you get the added pleasure of listening to stereo signals (mp3's) in full 5.1 surround sound (the card takes the signal and seperates it so that each speaker has its own part, and it does it EXTREMELY well).

About the only real problem with the AE is that it doesn't take as much workload off of the cpu as the SB Live's do, but hell, if you have a 500 MHz+ faster cpu, you'll be more then set.

This maybe a stupid question. But I've been reading most of the posts for the last week or so, and I want to make sure I'm clear on something.

If I want to watch DVD's, (on PC), with 5.1 surround, any of the 5.1 cards will do? (Eg. SB, GTXP, AE, TBSC)

But if I want to listen to mp3's in using all 5 speakers. Then the only sound card that will do it is the AE? If that's the case, is the only other option be to get the AT, and run it in a Phantom Mode?

Seeing as I have 1000+ mp3s.. I'd like to be able to hear them through all 5 speakers.

Any card will play SOUND from all 5.1 speakers, but the phillips AE plays DISCRETE sounds on each of the five speakers, whereas normally the left front and rear would be playing the same thing, and the center would play both right and left channels. Phillips will send certain frequencies to certain sats, or certain intensities, or just do something really complex that ends up sounding great in the end. If you want '3D' music, then AE is your card.

This message has been edited by The_Phew on 07-18-2001 at 11:31 AM