Wow MAC's are $

Piranha

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:01:34 PM paulparrot wrote:

Keep in mind, the average Japanese apartment is tiny, much smaller than the average in the US. For a typical listening room, visualize a walk-in closet in the US. A low-power amp has more chance in such a situation.
----------------

It's not about the size of their typical apartments in relation to the power of the amps, but about the "TONE" of these amps.

Mr. Dave, I wasnt even remotely talking about your PR comment, which obviously meant Pacific Rim since you said as much. I was answering Audible Nectar's post above mine where he used PC in plain sight, in reference to "politically correct." I love being quoted and paraphrased in the Klipsch Forum; it's what gives lurking a good name.

This may also be Sakuma's creation...

845_STC4212 SET2.jpg

Frankly, if any audiophile or collector is willing to cough up a year's wages for an esoteric tube amplifier or vintage horn loudspeakers, then more power to 'em! Just like the new owner of this thread's MC275...it's his money. If he's happy, then I'm happy! If I had disposable income, whose to say that I wouldn't plunk down five large for a vintage McIntosh tube amp. That's what money was created for, to spend!2.gif

post-11084-1381925591246_thumb.jpg

Did anyone mention that one reason the 30s are less is because they were being built before there were stereo amps and they continued making them for awhile after stereo came out. So they had a long production run. There was also a kit version for a short time. I bet there are more 30s out there than any other Mac tube amp.

The 30s were a lot less than the 60s so more were sold and the Mac preamps had a center channel output so a lot of them were probably used for that as well. (Remember the old Klipsch lit with the Khorns and a center channel.) I've owned every Mac tube amp but the 300watt monos and I think the 30s and the 225 are the best sounding in the bunch. I've driven my main system with Mac tubes for years (Belles now and Cornwalls and Khorns earlier in life) In the late 80's I recreated the old 3 channel stereo days with a Mac C22, MC225 and an MC30 for the center with Khorns and a Belle center but I couldn't see wasting the other Belle so I set them up in the basement and went back to 2 speakers in each system.

A long winded way of saying there has always seemed to be more Mac 30s around than anything else and I don't think it's because they are less desirable from a sound standpoint but are less collectable because they are more common. I think they sold a ton of them when they were new.