What is B Stock?

RRRush

A B-stock item is one that was rejected off the assembly line for whatever reason and sent back to the start of the line for rework. Generally, a B-stock item has actually been gone through more thoroughly than a A stock unit due to some flaw being found whether it be cosmetice, electronic or otherwise. They usually carry the same warranty as a new one, sometimes not.

B stock is anything that cannot be sold as prime, new merchandise. What you get may have been a defective unit, a demo unit, an open box unit, unopened distributor's return to the manufacturer, or new units assembled from the parts of the returned units. Typically, whatever is wrong with the unit, other than perhaps minor finish blemishes, is fixed. The unit is tested, often more rigorously than new units on the assembly line. They cannot be sold as new, A stock, if they contained any used parts or parts from new, disassembled units. Hence the name B stock. They typically carry a manufacturer's warranty. But it is usually shorter than on an A stock unit. You might not get all the accessories either, particularly batteries.

FWIW I have bought several B stock items. Never had a problem with any of them. I am happy buying them is I can get them for 2/3 or less the price of new. That gives me a reserve to pay for any repairs that might happen that would have been covered by the longer A stock warranty. IMHO they are less likely to fail due to infant mortality problems because they may have already failed and been fixed, and because of the extra testing they typically go through.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the explanation. I purchased an RSW12 sub from a reputable Indy audio dealer who shall remain nameless. I was greatly reduced in price and I am very happy with the sub.

REGARDLESS, the local dealer (with whom I've spend beaucoup bucks and am on very personal terms) DID NOT DISCLOSE the 'B-stock' classification of this unit and I only found out after I got it home and noticed the label on the box!

Moral of the story- buyer beware!

Michael- who's so very sorry to have missed you all this weekend in Indy.

• Like 1

• 16 years later...

I see this is a very old topic. Not older than me unfortunately. Lol. I purchased Klipsch RF 7 II B stock in cherry about 3 years ago. They are indistinguishable from new and have been perfect.  And I saved close to 50 percent of the retail for new.

Based on that experience, I’ve just ordered B stock Cornwall 4.  The seller on eBay before shipping removed them from the box and took pictures to show me the hue of the cherry finish is a bit lighter on one speaker.  This would only be noticed if they were next to one another. 15’ apart, as they will be in my room, I doubt anyone would notice. It’s a savings of 1200 off the retail price. Looking forward to getting them. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, MDJAK said:

I see this is a very old topic. Not older than me unfortunately. Lol. I purchased Klipsch RF 7 II B stock in cherry about 3 years ago. They are indistinguishable from new and have been perfect.  And I saved close to 50 percent of the retail for new.

Based on that experience, I’ve just ordered B stock Cornwall 4.  The seller on eBay before shipping removed them from the box and took pictures to show me the hue of the cherry finish is a bit lighter on one speaker.  This would only be noticed if they were next to one another. 15’ apart, as they will be in my room, I doubt anyone would notice. It’s a savings of 1200 off the retail price. Looking forward to getting them. 

How did they sound I was thinking of getting the same ones Klipsch Cornwall IV

• Like 1