Building a " Belle " ?

Dale W

19 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

Maybe I should do Mesquite... here is a pic of some other speakers made of Mesquite. The main part to be concerned with for being sealed is the doghouse, right?

Hardness is just below Brazilian Cherry too. I think that is hard enough...whatcha think?

Does anyone have a drawing of the braces for each side?

What braces for each side?  The glue strips for where the bass bin grills mount?

Yes, the dog house does need to be sealed good.  I used wood glue and brad nails to assemble then clamped . Once together, I ran silicone around all of the internal seams just to be on the safe side.   

• Like 1

The ones I have seen that ar in the middle of the openjng...sometime I have seen 2. I was thinking if I do real wood it would prevent warping.

What braces for each side?  The glue strips for where the bass bin grills mount?

Yes, the dog house does need to be sealed good.  I used wood glue and brad nails to assemble then clamped . Once together, I ran silicone around all of the internal seams just to be on the safe side.   

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

The ones I have seen that ar in the middle of the openjng...sometime I have seen 2. I was thinking if I do real wood it would prevent warping.

Use same species plywood, if finished stain to match before installing.

No two bass bins have been an exact match, you will need to measure carefully and then measure again to get a near perfect fit.

canon 004.JPG

canon 015.JPG

• Like 1

Use same species plywood, if finished stain to match before installing.

No two bass bins have been an exact match, you will need to measure carefully and then measure again to get a near perfect fit.

773908713_canon004.thumb.JPG.824081241781c8f53dad9feeb7ca851e.JPG
1586833652_canon015.thumb.JPG.b9e4d70846397b99b209a604f450087c.JPG
Thanks Jason! I will use the same wood as the cabinet. I have to check kn the price of the Mesquite vs plywood to decide what I will have the cabinets made of. 1" Mesquite should be nice and dense, and not subject too much to variation over time, and with me only doing the bass bins vs a regular big speaker I should be ok, I think...especially with the braces. I have seen others do 2 per side, so I might have the carpenter make 2 per side too,

2 minutes ago, jason str said:

Don't use solid wood on panels that large as they will split over time.

Plywood is my recommendation or MDF is the best choice.

I guess I will have to see if I can get veneer then.

I vote Baltic Birch or MDF or good plywood if available and add nice veneer. Belle bins don't really need those braces like older La Scala's.

Thanks, I was only looking at the braces if I had them made of hardwood. I I'll be making them with a 3/4" doghouse, and a 1" cabinet.

• 2 months later...

@ellisr63 I had 4x8 sheets of BB so mine wouldn't help.  You need to use that program I posted back in my thread that helped with the cut sheets that would minimize waste.  MaxCut v2.  It works with standard and metric measurements and I believe can convert some.  For the money. free, it works quite well.

https://www.maxcutsoftware.com/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

@ellisr63 I had 4x8 sheets of BB so mine wouldn't help.  You need to use that program I posted back in my thread that helped with the cut sheets that would minimize waste.  MaxCut v2.  It works with standard and metric measurements and I believe can convert some.  For the money. free, it works quite well.

https://www.maxcutsoftware.com/

I downloaded the program. I thought I was going be getting 5x5, but they will not ship even though they were listed on Google as North America and Mexico distributors. It looks like I will be getting something locally which means I can get 4x8 sheets. I just need to get the number of sheets, and cut list for the bass bins only. I am building 4.

22 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

The program should be able to help you out on that part.  I have my cut sheet diagrams but they won't help you as the top hats and other pieces are mixed in on all 3 sheets to minimize waste.  For the pieces that have angles that need to be cut on a table saw, add some extra into those particular ones so you have a little wiggle room on working with them.  That's mainly on the doghouse cuts.

Has anyone ever made any speakers with HDO OR MDO plywood? I have heard it is better than MDF, and very smooth, void free, paintable, and veneer works fine too. I was looking at Bambo plywood, but it was $240 a sheet, and so far we have not been able to locate Baltic Birch. It looks like I can get MDO, and HDO though.