Building a " Belle " ?

Dale W

19 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I just noticed your location.  My dad and ex step mother lived in San Miguel de Allende after they sold their big ranch in Virginia Dale, Colorado.  They lived  for a couple of years and sold the place after someone poisoned one of their dogs (German Shepherd) and dad got sick of it.  They had a beautiful location.  But, they were ready to travel and sold that place, bought a Prevost, and traveled in that for awhile.  Eventually bought another ranch in Westcliffe, CO and divorced soon afterwards.  lol

But it's a beautiful place, I hear.  

Me personally, I was happy building mine out of Baltic Birch and putting veneer on them versus having to connect solid pieces of wood via biscuit joint, etc.  I don't see there being a major advantage in using solid for the amount of work it would take.  Also, the doghouse (center section) doesn't really need to be any thicker than 3/4" as it's pretty solid with the shape that it is.  Maybe the outside and back walls of the cabinet but just make sure you don't change any of the dimensions on the horn flare as it exits.

Sorry to hear that your parents dog was poisoned:(

We agree it is beautiful here, and we are loving it.

On the doghouse...Does anyone put stuffing or Roxul inside it? I do not know why t is done other than to make the speaker them into the box is bigger than it does. Does stuffing it stop the back wave, and clean up the sound?

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:57 AM, Skelt said:

solid core lumber

What I see on the ends of my 1980s Klipsch speaker panels are approx. 1  1/2" x 1/2" strips of wood glued together (butcher block style) then laminated with reinforcing veneer, then covered with the attractive surface veneer. I believe the wood industry calls these "lumber core" panels.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

What I see on the ends of my 1980s Klipsch speaker panels are approx. 1  1/2" x 1/2" strips of wood glued together (butcher block style) then laminated with reinforcing veneer, then covered with the attractive surface veneer. I believe the wood industry calls these "lumber core" panels.

Like this?

http://www.hooddistribution.com/plywood-core-types/

Yes, the second one down on that list. My 35 year old Klipschorn panels are still perfectly flat and solid, after all those yearly humidity swing cycles. MDF does have its good points, though. It is dense, flat and your saw blade cuts are very consistent.
I will have to check that out for my Belles... looks to me like it might be better than BB, if I can get it locally in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

That Web site says that the lumber core "plywood" are mostly found on imported panels.
The species used for the core is an unknown and may have knots and other defects covered by the veneer.

Yellow Popular is simular to hard maple as a cabinet material.

• Like 1

That Web site says that the lumber core "plywood" are mostly found on imported panels.
The species used for the core is an unknown and may have knots and other defects covered by the veneer.

Yellow Popular is simular to hard maple as a cabinet material.
Maybe the MDF core would be better?

Maybe the MDF core would be better?

Sorry but I don't have that answer as to which is better. I've haven't made anything using mdf.

I was just commenting on how my 1975 Belles were constructed using Popular as the core.

There are several Amish sawmills, flooring shops, cabinet makers near me that I have used for some projects.
Poplar is often used where an inexpensive, easy to work hardwood is called for.
The flooring shop does an excellent gluing up panels and planing to thickness.

• Like 1

Sorry but I don't have that answer as to which is better. I've haven't made anything using mdf.

I was just commenting on how my 1975 Belles were constructed using Popular as the core.

There are several Amish sawmills, flooring shops, cabinet makers near me that I have used for some projects.
Poplar is often used where an inexpensive, easy to work hardwood is called for.
The flooring shop does an excellent gluing up panels and planing to thickness.

Thanks, if I still lived in California... I would have no problem getting great plywood. I can get exotic hardwoods, but plywood appears to be a problem if you want good stuff.

Which exotic hardwoods are readily available to you in Mexico?
I will have to check, but I know there were quite a few Mexican, and South American. I know Mesquite is very popular here, and not too expensive.

You know I never would have thought about Mesquite, but it is a nice very heavy wood. A friend has their furniture, and doors made out of it. I have seen larggggge 4" thick table tops that were $5k out of Mesquite, and they were beautiful. A friend was telling me to have my speakers made out of it, but I am worried about the wood splitting. I could have 2 layers of Mesquite with a layer of plywood in between I guess.

and of course, you could also use it on your bbq....

32 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I just checked out some pictures of Mexican Mesquite lumber. Your speakers would be good looking.

Maybe I should do Mesquite... here is a pic of some other speakers made of Mesquite. The main part to be concerned with for being sealed is the doghouse, right?

Hardness is just below Brazilian Cherry too. I think that is hard enough...whatcha think?

Does anyone have a drawing of the braces for each side?

https://goo.gl/images/AAo1Hv