Building a " Belle " ?

Dale W

• 3 weeks later...

edwardre,

can you please double-check the width of the lower grills? back a couple months ago when this got started you were kind enough to post a bunch of measurements from your factory Belle. on the grills you came up with: "The grille dimensions are: 9"x20-7/8" again, with one of the 20-7/8" edges cut at a 45 degree angle."

I made some of those dimensions but it seems like they're too wide, looks like they'd need to be about 7" wide for things to work out with the bevel edge on the front. Any clarification would be helpful. Is it a 90* corner where they meet in the back? I'll also PM and email you in case you're not checking here consistantly anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just saw the drawings you have. These are not any "Belle" copies. They are a design I did in 1974 called 70/80-horn. It was published in a swedish paper at that time. Swedish, since I am a native Swede living in Stockholm at the time. The drawings are actually unautorized copies done by a danish guy. I have done this horn and a few other, all published.

Peter Akemark

jlossint,

Actually, these guys have been dissecting a real "Belle" to come up with the dimensions. The one that Tom has made is looking very good, so the 'plans' that you say are yours ended up not being used.

Marvel

Well Marvel,

My intentions were only to clarify where that particular drawing is comming from. Wether it is used or not is not the question. That model uses a 12" driver and not a 15" like the "Belle" does. So the difference is obvius. Also there are errors in the given dimensions in that particular picture.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 8:40:31 PM jlossint wrote:

Well Marvel,

My intentions were only to clarify where that particular drawing is comming from. Wether it is used or not is not the question. That model uses a 12" driver and not a 15" like the "Belle" does. So the difference is obvius. Also there are errors in the given dimensions in that particular picture.

----------------

Peter,

Which drawing are you refering to? There were several in this thread.

Jim

I am refering to the picture at http://www.onthenod.com/LaBelle.gif. I did not mean the nice Acad drawings done by Rob. Sorry if I stirred up some feelings about this.

By the way, what driver is intende to be used in your design Rob (formica)? And since you have Acad drawings, what is the volume of the "dog-house", I'm thinking of putting the numbers into a horn simulation program!

Peter,

I wasn't meaning to give you grief. It turned out to be somewhat of a team effort I think, with many different folks giving measurements.

I think he was planning on the K-33 from Klipsch. The price is quite reasonable, either new from Klipsch or used.

Rob's ACAD drwings came out nice.

Marvel

Hi all,

I have been lurking around for a while, but this is my first post, and first things first, congrats on the level and ambiance of this forum.

Formica, thanks for making the Belle plans available.

I have been looking at those to make my second pair of Belle, but found a measure that slightly constricts the horn at the corner.

Horn passes from 3" to 2-3/4" with the same high.

Should that be 3" instead of 2-3/4"?

All the best

Miguel.

P.D. Belles are not distributed in my country. Pity.

• 4 weeks later...

----------------

On 8/14/2004 9:43:45 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

well, I bit the bullet, went out and bought a large table saw and a $50 80-tooth Freud blade. It was a display model since the vendor isn't shipping the rails with the saws right now. I'll go thru the adjustments Sunday, see what I can get going this coming week. Home Depot has some reasonably nice looking "Birch/Maple" 3/4 plywood for about $40/sheet. First one will be a test mule, built out of that.

Saw is a Ridgid 3650, cast iron stuff, weighs almost 300lbs.

Should a post a bunch of pics of the cut and build?

----------------

I bought that VERY saw last year. I also bough the 6" Ridgid jointer. Seemed like a good bang for the buck. I'm happy with both so far.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...