Any thoughts on Apple's new computer-to-stereo-music-with-no-wires?

nicholtl

----------------

On 6/17/2004 11:22:08 AM dblue wrote:

Want a better solution. Get a turtlebeach Audiotron and hook it up to a wireless ethernet bridge. Wala! The ability to stream mp3's and WAV files from any computer in the house wirelessly. Works great. WAV sound quality is amazing, HDCD files ripped as wavs maintain their HDCD integrity (if you run optical to a receiver with a built in HDCD decoder, like the HK AVR525), and the buffer works great (as long as you don't start skipping around the queue, then you'll get a hiccup but it recovers instantly). Best audio streaming home network product yet, imho.

Oh yeah, and you can control the whole shebang with a REMOTE!!!!

----------------

Indeed, one of the products I'll be offering on my website (alongside the inexpensive mp3 server systems from iMerge et al) is custom-built server-based audio and a/v systems with multiple terabytes of storage for on-demand streaming of CD's, DVD's, and whatever else you'd like to load up in the server. It's really an elegant solution, and the slave systems in each of the rooms can be configured to stereo or surround, with touch-panels to control everything.

nicholtl: Motorola is offering a sort of opposite-engineered product to that of "Airtunes".

This one is called "Simplefi" and it does not require a wireless LAN. Instead, it broadcasts wirelessly from your PC via a USB connection to a special receiver that is then connected (using wires) to what ever audio device you prefer to listen to, including your home theater system. Range is approximately 150 feet. It streams audio from your PC or the internet. I don't know what the Airtunes costs, but the Simplefi is around $245 bucks. This includes a special remote control.

More info: http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/simplefi/

Just because it says 56mbit a second doesn't mean it will. And actually 56mbit is only really only 7 mbyte. Even under the most ideal of situations I seriously doubt its real bandwidth is higher than 2 megabyte/s, especially on a consumer item like this. Just imagine what happens when the signal strength is less than spectacular...

----------------

On 6/16/2004 8:54:14 PM Griffinator wrote:

That's just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of people wonder about wireless loudspeaker systems, but no one really considers the idea that you can't send power over a wireless transmission, only signal. When someone overcomes that physics problem, you may see it happen, but meanwhile, it's a pipe dream.

----------------

Yes, but at least with wireless we would finally end all arguments as to whether one speaker wire sounds better than another! 2.gif

What about us dialup hillbillys? What can we use? The turtle beach and run wires under the floors? I was checking one out awhile back. I am hoping they will go down in price. But lately I don't have many mp3's or wav files. I have been listening to actual cd's alot more lately. And wow it's been great! But I would like to beable to get the internet radio happening on my stereo and mp3's and wav's.

----------------

On 6/17/2004 11:20:42 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

But this isn't a high priority wireless device like a router and a wireless card is. It's like looking at USB devices. I've never seen a USB 1.1 device actually get 12mb a second.

----------------

You're exactly right. Only way you can transmit DVD bandwidth on a network without presenting a crippling load on the host CPU is via 10/100 Ethernet.

-----------------------------------

On 6/17/2004 5:23:06 PM nicholtl wrote:

Thanks for the info Picky! However, I own one OLD (400mhz) PC, but I own two of the newest Macs - dual 2Ghz G5 and 17" 1.5Ghz powerbook. So I like to keep it in the family, so to speak...by getting the airport express.

-----------------------------------

nicholtl: You may be in luck! The system requirements for the Motorola system is only 300MHz and higher!