Surround Mode Question

T_Shomaker

There are many that give you the option for 3 channel stereo, LCR. I'm not sure if they also incorpoate the .1

This was a liitle more popular a few years back before Dolby Digital hit the home theater market. I had all Onkyo spererate components and when onkyo made available there dolby pro logic processor I bought it. This was around 1992. This unit had a 3 channel stereo option but no .1 because it wasn't available in the home market at the time. Wish I could help pin point a current model that would provide this to you. I'm curious now so I will do some research into this. If I find anything out I'll post it.

Good Luck!

Scooter

----------------

On 6/17/2004 4:50:14 PM kaaihue1 wrote:

My Denon 3805 plays 3 channels you just shut off the surrounds, which is nice because my in-ceiling speakers cant keep up with my rf-7's.
16.gif

----------------

I don't really want to pay that much. I would like to pay about 200 to 300 dollars.

hmm, I get 3 channel when I am playin both A and B speakers. You have that option? If you have no B speakers hooked up I wounder if it still cuts out the others if you tell the RCV to play A and B. Hold on a sec...........

Okay, I had an audio DVD playin in 5.1 I have B speakers hooked up (My NEW LA SCALAS, JUST GOT EM HOME) so I hit the A and B button and I then had only mains and center playin, plus MY NEW LA SCALAS. I then uplugged the B speakers and I still had only 3 channel playin.

Did I tell you I got La Scalas today?

----------------

On 6/17/2004 5:23:18 PM mandi wrote:

hmm, I get 3 channel when I am playin both A and B speakers. You have that option? If you have no B speakers hooked up I wounder if it still cuts out the others if you tell the RCV to play A and B. Hold on a sec...........

Okay, I had an audio DVD playin in 5.1 I have B speakers hooked up (My NEW LA SCALAS, JUST GOT EM HOME) so I hit the A and B button and I then had only mains and center playin, plus MY NEW LA SCALAS. I then uplugged the B speakers and I still had only 3 channel playin.

Did I tell you I got La Scalas today?

----------------

Got any pics?

How bout a real 'cheap and dirty' way of getting three channels. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong), but Mr. Klipsch himself used to do something like this in the old pre- HT days.

With a regular stereo receiver (your into saving $$$, right?) hook up a normal L and R channel. Now using the positive leads from both L and R on the Amp, create an 'electrical third channel' which is essentially a mono mix for a 'center' speaker. This will not be a Dolby 'dialog' channel, but its a great way to fill the 'hole in the middle'

I belive I read on Forum that Mr. K used to use this with a two K-horn setup very wide in the room, with a Belle K as the center channel.

Otherwise, I echo the thoughts that you should go into your DVD menu and tell the 5.1 system that there is no rear speakers. Obviously this will work only with DVD playback and not with VHS or normal TV broadcast modes if that is what you have in mind. Some of the Yamaha delay modes are just stereo mixes with delay or a center channel feed. Perhaps you could find a salesman at a local shop who could demo some of these.

Michael

• Like 1

I want a center channel for dialog only for a little HT setup. Maybe if I was able to do a 5.1 what is the best reciever for about 200 to 400. I think that the pioneer elite that I was talking about sounds like a really good deal but I haven't heard it so I am now asking you guys if there is any thing better for the money.

Thanks,

Taylor