K-horn Ohm rating ?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to this fine family.

I have a pair of "S" (datecode) Klipschorns and am wondering what the ohm rating is.

In other words which tap should I use from my tube monoblocks 4 ohm, or 8 ohm ?

I also have a nice pair of Heresy's that are just begging for some exotic veneer job (after seeing the great posts here.)-- but thats another story entirely

I suppose I could have researched the forum for this answer, but I figure I needed to introduce myself and not lurk so much.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

The Ohm rating is generally called the "load" which changes with frequency.

Perhaps someone else can tell what the range is across the spectrum.. It is the resistance that the speaker presents to the amplifier.

I believe K-horns are rated at 8 ohms.

Try the 4-ohm tap for a week, then the 8-ohm tap for a week. Decide for yourself which sounds better.

Although the Khorn is rated at 8 ohms, the general rule to get the best performance per dampening factor, you should set your amp to the lowest OHM draw of the speaker.

For Khorns that is 4 ohms.

Try setting your Khorns at 8, then switch to 4. I will bet you will hear more detail in the bass and a overall tighter sound.

Either way, you will not harm your Khorns or amp running 4 or 8 ohms with Khorns.

JM

Sometimes when changing between the 4 or 8 ohm taps you will notice, depending on speaker, a difference in loudness. I would suggest that the 'louder' setting may be the more correct choice. Perhaps this suggests that your tube amplifier is working easier into the louder setting therefore able to drive the speaker better.

"Sometimes when changing between the 4 or 8 ohm taps you will notice, depending on speaker, a difference in loudness. I would suggest that the 'louder' setting may be the more correct choice."

At low volumes it will always play loudest on the highest impedance tap.

"Perhaps this suggests that your tube amplifier is working easier into the louder setting therefore able to drive the speaker better."

Perhaps not. As you turn up the volume on the wrong tap the amplifier will run out of current, overdrive the output tubes, and sound 'thin' and a bit 'life-less'.

Pound it. Which ever tap sounds the best in the bass is the right tap. For most amps it will be the 4 ohm tap.

FIRST) The nominal, which mean it is just a stupid meaningless number, impedance ofg the classic Klipsch corner Khorns is 8 ohms. From previous post; Khorn Impedance: I replaced the original K-33-E ceramic magnet 4 ohm woofer with an 8 ohm JBL D130. This keeps the impedance comfortably above 8 ohms on the low end with no apparent loss in sensitivity. I have measured the impedance curve of my 1980 vintage K-horns. It varies quite a bit, but is basically between 5 and 8 ohms in the frequency range of 45 Hz to 300 Hz. The minimum is 4.9 ohms at 53 Hz. This is with all original drivers and the speaker in a corner. Below 45 Hz there is a resonance peak of 20.5 ohms at 36 Hz. Above 300 Hz there is a gradual rise to 31 ohms at 2400 Hz and then a gradual fall to 8 ohms at 5 kHz. Above 5 kHz it's between 8 and 14 ohms.

SECOND) Ive briefly heard quick changes between 4 and 8-ohms with new Cayin TA30 integrated tube amplifier and a Klipsch RF7 at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. The lower tap gives a slightly deeper, more extended bass response.

THIRD) In general, since tube amplifiers cant push around the low impedances of woofers as well as solid-state, the lower tap is often recommended, especially with super-sensitive big ole horns.

FOURTH) The Bottlehead Forum recommended the four-ohm tap with my super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, and the ultra-sensitive Khorns.

FIFTH) On classic Klipsch corner Khorns, at preacherman Daddydees gathering, a brief audition showed that the beefy custom-made Lassard 2A3 (at an unknown price) was only slightly better, in my own humble opinion, than the extremely well regarded Wright 2A3 (for $1,500), which were slightly better than my upgraded flea-powered tube Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour amplifiers (factory assembled for $750/pair)

SIXTH) I am afraid to touch such delicate wiring and never made the change