RB-35 vs. RB-5II (also RF-35 vs. RF-3II)

meuge

I am currently looking into buying some speakers, and my options for new equipment include the RB-35 and RB-5II, so I was wondering what the difference between the two is, because all the specifications, other than power handling seem to be the same.

Also, I've been looking on ebay, and an occasional pair of RF-3IIs pops up, so I was wondering what differentiates it from the RF-35.

I'll appreciate comments, advice, etc...

P.S. I know that Heresies would probably sound great, but I cannot buy them due to room size constraints.

----------------

On 6/19/2004 6:11:43 PM meuge wrote:

I am currently looking into buying some speakers, and my options for new equipment include the RB-35 and RB-5II, so I was wondering what the difference between the two is, because all the specifications, other than power handling seem to be the same.

----------------

The main difference between the two is the enclosure and the drivers/horns. The RB-35 has a type of slotted front port, while the RB-5ii's have a rear round port. This might vary the bass output depending on what environment you have them placed in. They also use different drivers and tweeters... which changes the sound.

I have not heard the RB-35's for a long enough period to really compare them to the 5ii's. I love my 5ii's, and feel they do a great job at everything I throw at it. The only thing it lacks in, is bass, which is of course normal for a bookshelf speaker. If you plan on buying a sub or have one allready, bookshelves would suit you well. I'm of coursed biast, as I own the 5's, but I definately reccomend them2.gif . You should go to your local retailer and sample them all for yourself, that'll give you the best view on which you preferr.

See the reason I wonder is that the RB-5IIs are so much more expensive than the RB-35s.

As far as the bass is concerned, RB-25s powered by the Ultras had quite a bit of bass for a small room such as mine. I bet the RB-5IIs or RB-35s would have more with their 8" drivers.

P.S. Juba, it may turn out that within a couple of weeks we'll have nearly identical systems, with my Pioneer arriving on Monday or Tuesday, and a good chance that I'm getting RB-5IIs.

And I just remembered - what stands do you use with your 5s? They are way to big to be put on a desk (also would probably decrease the sound quality), but my budget is running out rapidly. If you know anything about decent value stands, I'll appreciate some advice.

I'll admit, stands are the one thing that I cheaped out on. I was stupid when configuring my budget and almost totally forgot about stands. The stands I have now would probably be considered terrible by audiophiles in the 2ch. forums... but they were the best I could do. They cost me about 60 dollars at the Good Guys. They're not so much BAD... as more they just aren't GREAT. When buying stands, you should try and get the heaviest, sturdiest stand you can. The ones I have are not very heavy and wobble if you poke at them... not great. While I don't think this effects the sound to a great extent, its certainly not the best setup one could have. I think the brand I have are Sanus's. I think I got the cheapest kind they have (in fact I cant even find it on their website). They have some other pretty good stands on their sight though, so you might want to check those out. www.sanus.com . I think my RBs sound great on the cheapo stands that I have them on, so it doesn't bother me much. If you wanted, you could also construct your own... if cosmetics aren't a big problem. You could get some heavy duty pvc piping (i think there are plans online to build your own speaker stands) and then fill it with sand. Sorry I kind of rambled, its a bit late at night. Hopefully this helped somewhat. (btw: what reciever are you getting again?)

I have a pair of RB 5II's and was wanting to get the best center channel to go with them for a home theater. Would I be better off to get the newer RC 35, the older RC 3II, or an RC 7 (and turn the power down through the receiver to keep it from overpowering the RB 5II's)?

I've always been told to not skimp out on your center channel, as it is most important in multi channel listening. I suppose if you planed on keeping the 5's as your mains for an indefinate period of time, then maybe the matching horns would be better.

I think that I could stretch the budget to get the RC 7, but I don't want my system to sound bad if they aren't timber-matched. I do plan to keep the RB 5II's as my front mains for an indefinite amount of time. I was planning on RS 35's for my surrounds, but I'm just worried that the RC-7 might overpower the 5II's and RS 35's. The system will mainly be used for home theater and not 2 channel audio.

I just picked up an RC-7 to try out with my RF-3s for comparison with my RC-3 II.. but I haven't hooked it up yet. Probably won't be able to until Wed. Whatever "wins" I'll keep. I would think, though, that you would be able to adjust the center speaker level to work well with the mains.

If you find that the center overpowers the mains, you could just turn it down on your receiver. I'd think the RC-7 would be much superior to the RC-3ii, even if it doesnt match 100%. Keep in mind that the reference series was made to be mixed and matched together, so as long as you keep within the RC's you should be fine.

I'll give a comp on the RC-7 and RC-3.

The RC-3 is thin and almost shrill. The RC-7 is rich, full, and has plenty of bass to boot.

I have both. One is on my main system andone is on my secondary system. I would love to et rid of my RC-3ii and buy another RC-7 if I continue on with klipsch for my secondary system.

short n sweet...

ALWAYS get the biggest, baddest center channel speaker you can, you'll never be sorry. Reasons...

You only have to buy ONE of these, therefore $$ are better spent

You may upgrade your surround system over time

When listening to stereo sources, center does not come into play, therefor the 'timbre' match is not so important.

What is critical in HT listening is that the center be a great as possible. This RC7 fits the bill here.

Glad to hear that the listening tests all agree!

Michael

• Like 1