Cornwalls- Mahogoney1968

I have recently found a near mint pair of 1983 Belles in Cherry and so I'm going to be selling my 1968 Mahogoney Cornwalls. These guys have perfect old style brown tweed grilles with the old style clear plastic logos. They have the II designation but that was the original II ( Cornwall II, Cornwall then Cornwall Version II) not the later version II. Like all the really old ones they have the vertical horn setup. I would rate these as follows: a 9.5 and 1 an 8. The 9.5 has no visible marks that I can find but I'm sure someone will, so the rating is for safety. The other has a couple of small marks in the laquer and stain on the top; everything else excellent. These were updated in the mid 90's. I am the second owner. What are these worth? I've been checking the auctions but haven't seen any Cornwalls that are anything like these guys. Looking at these from the front they are both perfect. There are scratches on the bottom; they were used in the regular maner). I need some help with this one. If anyone is interested I'm using a pair of Golden Tube SE40 amps (80 watts mono) with amazing results for short money. I would recommend them highly. I was selling my amps but have decided to keep them. $900-$1000 has been suggested for my Cornwalls, but I have no way of knowing if this is high or low. I almost forgot that all the caps have been upgraded to silver foil which has really opened up the whole sound palette top to bottom. Thank again , John

I have a pair of the vertical (CWO) Cornwalls as well. I paid $1000 for them used two years ago, and was very happy to have them. $900 - $1100 is about the right price, depending on condition. Some wear is expected, but those that minty would draw the upper end of that price range.

Thanks for the help. They are in excellent condition. I'll get some pictures up in a couple of days when I get home. I understand the mahogony finish is fairly rare, did they make the Heresy in this finish. If they did I may keep them for a theater system if I could find a matching Heresy. How close can you get the Birch to the mahogony if they are stained? Again any help will be appreciated. Thanks again. While I'm new to this forum I've owned Klipsch Khorns and other "Heritage products" off and on for 20 years. It doesn't matter what else I am using at home I always end up coming back to the emotional impact of the Klipsch. I have over 7000 records and 1500 CDs so I guess I'm more of a music lover than an audiophile. I do play the high end game but I have the most fun with the Klipsch and tubes. I have to say that I'm really loving the Belles. It had been a while since I'd listened to them. They do so many little things right like the leading edge of notes on the piano and the big finishes on larger works classical or jazz that most of the higher end speakers just can't come close to unless your in the $20,000 range. The Heritage products are a true high end bargain. When the mood hits you they can rock. I was playing some old Beach Boys the other day at stupid levels and they still sounded great. So I went into a time warp and put on "Who's Next" the classic Who album (vinyl)and wow that's what the hobby is all about. The only saving grace of putting in my new theater is it should be great for concerts and multichannel music with DVDA and SACD. Thanks again for all the great reading on the forum. John

Hi Chris Robinson! Whatcha been up to?"

Glad to hear you are still enjoying your verts. Been reveneering and cabinet constructing a pair of 1953 Khorns. Almost finished. The attached pic shows one that is a type-B and one that is a type-C. The tops are just set in place and there is no oil on the walnut yet, but you can get the idea. When complete they will both be type-B's (like the one on the left). Hopefully, when complete they will match the custom 1954's I got from my dad which are still the front mains as well as match the center Belle that I retrofitted with all mid-50's components.

Anyway...glad to see your still around.

Sorry to disrupt the 'theme' of this post!

post-6566-1381925607467_thumb.jpg

Audioaddict,

If you didn't live in NH, I'd be very interested in your corns. If you can get "Who's Next" to sound good on vinyl, you must have a hell of a system. That may be the worst recorded rock lp of all time.14.gif

I'd love to see some pictures anyway. I have a pair of '80 zebrawood corns (original owner) and just bought a pair of '83 oiled walnut for my downstairs system.

You should have no trouble selling them here. If you decide to take a road trip down the east coast, please let me know.